Buck's Legacy

Dr Dave

Was fiddling around with some numbers and noticed that with 60 games left this year (barring rainouts), there's a chance that Buck's W/L record with the team will drop below 0.500.  The Orioles would need to go at least 26-34 (a 0.433 clip) to avoid this.  Doesn't seem terribly likely.

Kind of a shame since Buck's arrival brought the Orioles prosperity that hadn't been seen in quite a few years, as well as a multi-year period where they won more games than any other team.

His legacy will be his position on the top step overseeing the return of Orioles Magic and the transition from 15 brutal years of losing to 3 playoff berths and the best record in the league over 5 seasons.

For everyone who won’t let the way the last 150 games have gone cause them to  entirely lose sight of the prior 1000 or so, that is.

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

His legacy will be his position on the top step, overseeing the return of Orioles Magic, and the transition from 15 brutal years of losing to 3 playoff berths and the best record in the league over 5 seasons.

For everyone who wont let the way the last 150 games have gone cause them to  entirely lose sight of the prior 1000 or so, that is.

o

14 brutal years of losing.

But I like your overall post.

o

His legacy will be just fine. One of the best managers the O's have ever had. The major blemish being the Wild Card game in Toronto. Having a disastrous 2018 isn't Buck's fault. Buck brought credibility and integrity to an organization that had long lost it from a managerial perspective. A culture of winning...coupled with an amazing level of patience in the face of really difficult (recent) circumstances (see: one of the baseball's worst teams).

The Orioles are better for having had him. I'm going to miss him. He stands second only to Earl Weaver in my eyes. And he's easily #1 for managers I've watched man the Orioles.

Buck has had his ups and downs here, but he’ll be remembered for his successes more than his failures.    He’ll be in the Orioles Hall of Fame some day regardless of whether he finishes with a winning record.   

In the middle of 7th grade the Orioles started sucking.

And it didn't stop.

I spent all of high school wondering if the team would ever compete in the AL East again.

Then we signed Tejada and that gave me hope.  But we didn't finish the job with Vlad.

The first half of the Sammy Sosa Season was the most fun I ever had at OYPC.  I actually left Baltimore the season before O's got good again.

The point is, we cycled through managers like underwear and I didn't know if there was someone out there to show this mess how to win again.  And sustain it.

And Buck did his job.  And I am grateful.  

He's a rebuilder, and we are only committing to a rebuild for the second time with him.  The question is has his message gotten stale?  There may be a lot of player turnover, but a lot of things stay the same.  Young players are impressionable and may pick up the Old Guard's attitude.  Buck is no longer the new shiny toy.  We can get a lot better as an in-game manager of personnel, but we may still have the best man for what we need.  Does he have the energy and commitment to the 5+ years this may take?

Regardless, his legacy is undeniably the Miracle Worker.  That 2012 team really wasn't that talented.  I firmly believe what we don't see Buck do on TV is his best work.

Bit of a ramble.  Sorry.

His legacy is that he is not a manager a team should keep around for too long.

There's a reason why three other teams let him go after he got them to the playoffs. The O's should have done the same.

13 hours ago, atomic said:

3 last place finishes and the play in game fiasco has destroyed any legacy he would have.   

Horse hockey.

What about 5 years and 1 almost WS, and the best record in the AL.

Hard to ping year 1 on him, he was still molding and getting the team straightened out.

The last 2 seasons has dimmed his star, but not destroyed it.

10 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

His legacy will be just fine. One of the best managers the O's have ever had. The major blemish being the Wild Card game in Toronto. Having a disastrous 2018 isn't Buck's fault. Buck brought credibility and integrity to an organization that had long lost it from a managerial perspective. A culture of winning...coupled with an amazing level of patience in the face of really difficult (recent) circumstances (see: one of the baseball's worst teams).

The Orioles are better for having had him. I'm going to miss him. He stands second only to Earl Weaver in my eyes. And he's easily #1 for managers I've watched man the Orioles.

I agree with a lot of this although I won't miss him.  The WC game in Toronto was bad, but I honestly did not see us ever scoring again that night.  Our offensive approach was absolutely terrible and we were never even threatening to score again.  Every pitcher they brought in became Walter Johnson against our sorry lineup.

I think patience and loyalty are really good attributes for people to have, but not necessarily in sports.  Belichick has neither but he has 5 rings so whatever he is doing is working, no matter how miserable his players are.....

I feel like Buck has been too patient and too loyal to certain guys.  We are 29-74....I won't miss anything or anyone associated with this ridiculous season.

Archived