Beckham's move to SS

wildcard

3 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Small sample size.  But he's a career .731 OPS hitter (99 OPS+).  The .578 was way too low for him not to improve upon.

SSS is why its something to watch and not make a conclusion on.  Beckham wants to be a starting SS.   He had problems holding that position with Tampa.   He had a good month and a bad one in 2017 with the O's at SS.  Manny took the SS this year until just a few games ago.

It will be interesting to see if Beckham has matured enough to hold on to SS.   His offense is half the equation to keep him in the lineup.

7 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

His errors are what concerns me the most. I think he hits ok for a SS but at some point defense will need to be addressed for this team.

That’s understandable, but yesterday’s error for example was because neither Davis or Bundy was where they should have been.  Over his career he grades out average at all three infield positions.  I think I’d like him best at 2B with a very good fielder at SS and Schoop at 3B ideally.   But first we need that SS ?

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Something to watch on Beckham.   He had a 578 OPS as a 3B.  He now has a 891 OPS as a SS.   

Not only that, but Schoop has a 1.209 OPS with Beckham playing SS, Davis has a 1.004 OPS, Jones has a 1.020 OPS,  Rickard has a .964 OPS, Valencia has an .898 OPS, Mancini has an .864 OPS and Joseph has an .839 OPS.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Not only that, but Schoop has a 1.209 OPS with Beckham playing SS, Davis has a 1.004 OPS, Jones has a 1.020 OPS,  Rickard has a .964 OPS, Valencia has an .898 OPS, Mancini has an .864 OPS and Joseph has an .839 OPS.   

Rickard has put in a request to the scheduling department, for the Orioles to only play the Rays. :)

1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Small sample size.  But he's a career .731 OPS hitter (99 OPS+).  The .578 was way too low for him not to improve upon.

As we saw last year, streaky hitter.  He can set it on fire and then become ice cold. 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The flip side of this, as Manny has left, everybody has got of their funk and is hitting the day lights out of the ball.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

The flip side of this, as Manny has left, everybody has got of their funk and is hitting the day lights out of the ball.

My point is that it has nothing to do with Beckham’s move to SS.   It’s just one of those things that happens in small samples.  I hope we continue hitting like this for a while, it’s a refreshing change.   

Just now, Frobby said:

My point is that it has nothing to do with Beckham’s move to SS.   It’s just one of those things that happens in small samples.  I hope we continue hitting like this for a while, it’s a refreshing change.   

Amen, it was a pure pleasure to turn into the game all weekend long and enjoy a laugher.

I think the hitting since he got moved to SS is coincidental. The bottom line is he's not an everyday SS. They can get by with him there for a game or two here or there but they need someone better defensively there on a regular basis.

52 minutes ago, vab said:

I think the hitting since he got moved to SS is coincidental. The bottom line is he's not an everyday SS. They can get by with him there for a game or two here or there but they need someone better defensively there on a regular basis.

It looks like Beckham will get a two month trial at SS because there is no one better in the O's organization at this point. Bears watching.  Maybe he gets better defensively with more consistent time at SS.  Dickerson will be working with him every day.   I like Dickerson as an infield coach.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It looks like Beckham will get a two month trial at SS because there is no one better in the O's organization at this point. Bears watching.  Maybe he gets better defensively with more consistent time at SS.  Dickerson will be working with him every day.   I like Dickerson as an infield coach.

Nobody at AAA, either that can play major league SS.

Archived