Are You Happy

DirtyBird

Are you happy? (With the O's, not with life)  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy? (With the O's, not with life)

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MrOrange82 said:

I think they should have waited until winter to move Schoop, but calling the trade a bust is silly. It's reasonable to be angry, but that anger should be directed at how the O's were run before all these trades occurred. Terrible organizational planning/development scuttled Schoop's value to the team (other than as a trade chip).

What if Schoop hit .215 for the rest of the season. Or got hurt again. Then you get nothing with the salary that his arb would give him. He could even have ended up a non tender for a team that will be last next season. 

I was happy prior to the Gausman trade. That's mainly about the direction of the club.

Between Gausman and Schoop, I'm more of a meh. Although the totality of the direction is bright...and the most recent trades raised eyebrows in terms of competency of management. 

Just now, weams said:

What if Schoop hit .215 for the rest of the season. Or got hurt again. Then you get nothing with the salary that his arb would give him. He could even have ended up a non tender for a team that will be last next season. 

The thing about Schoop is he essentially has 1 year left. I was all in favour of trading him now while he's on a hot streak. 

Gausman I think it was a rushed and unnecessary trade especially since he went to a different trading partner. It'd be different if it was Gausman + Schoop over to Brewers for a much better package. But these packages are quantity over quality. 

6 minutes ago, Eddie_Murray33 said:

Happy that we’re finally “taking our medicine” at least. Regardless of how the trades work out- looks like a couple years of increased int’l resources, and drafting early is on the way...

I mean yeah - they're doing exactly what I'd guess the majority of the posters on this board have always wanted.

4 minutes ago, weams said:

I like the Schoop trade just fine. That said, I think health set him way back this year, and he was just starting to look locked in at the plate. He was one of the few players (along with Gausman) that the Orioles should have felt little urgency to trade, at least until the offseason.

Ultimately, it looks like the trade return was perfectly fine, and my point was that being angry about it is pointless. Be angry at the mismanagement that made the trade necessary.

17 minutes ago, atomic said:

Gausman is having a good year.  He leads the team in WAR.   Schoop could have gotten more in off season if he stayed hot. 

Gausman is not having a good year. He's underachieving just about every season projection and has regressed since 2016. There is absolutely no way for you to know Schoop could have gotten more in the offseason and there's no way to know if he can even stay hot. In the offseason you'd be trading an inconsistent 2B with 2 fewer months of team control who's defensive skills are dwindling.

I don't know much about these prospects, so it's really impossible for me to vote honestly. 

Right now, international money is like a player to be named later.   

If we sign VVM for 8 million I won't be as pleased with the gausman trade.   If they can sign him and a bunch of other guys, then better.   If the Marlins sign VVM or he doesn't clear until next year and we sit on 5+ mill,  I'll be pissed about gausman.   

Let's face it, if the bonus money Mesa is offered by BAL, MIA, and NYY was close, the Orioles stand a real chance of losing out to either of those teams, even if our offer is the highest.  If the offers aren't close, and our offer is substantially higher, our chances of landing him become much greater.  I think importance and value of the $2.5 million in slot money is being overlooked by some here.

3 hours ago, GoldGlove21 said:

How is that value determined? Does the prospect have value without ever making it to the majors?

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/valuing-the-2017-top-100-prospects/

Take a look at the above article.  This is based on the rated FV of a given prospect, so you use the chart to line up the surplus value of the prospects coming back.  Mind you, I haven't actually done the Gausman math, and some prospects might have different grades from the O's scouts.

Schoop trade ? I really don't know we shall see. we were NOT going to resign the guy.

Gausman LOL anybody on here who though he was going to bring us blue chips is delusional. I am happy we dumped O'Day.  If it bring us VV I'll be thrilled with this trade.

Now all we got to do is dump Davis ;)

LIKE always JMHO

Archived