Are You Happy

DirtyBird

Are you happy? (With the O's, not with life)  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy? (With the O's, not with life)

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, awannabegeek said:

Not too happy. I think we went for quantity over quality. I'm fine doing that in a couple of instances but as an overall rebuilding strategy, I hate it.

Take a look at our prospect rankings after the trade.  I would have liked one or two more higher guys....but we have completely rebuilt our farm and we moved millions of dollars of contracts and got back millions in international slots money.

I honestly don't have a clue if we will be competitive off of this.  But the organization is miles better and I am now confident that Trumbo and Davis will be gone no later than end of next year.

That alone is pretty phenomenal.

Calling any of todays moves stupid is well.....let's just say it is the pot calling the kettle black as they used to say.

Schoop can be resigned and he cannot help us win unless he does.  Was he offered a contract?  I don't know.  But moving him and Gausman was a surprise to do without a bigger "bang" in my opinion. 

But if these moves also bring us Victor Victor Mesa and other international talent....who is to say we cannot re acquire a couple of guys like Schoop down the road.

Happy is probably not the word, but cautiously optimistic is definately where I am...

Imagine.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm feeling good about what the Orioles did. Look folks, we weren't winning with Machado and Schoop and Gausman and Britton so why not get what you can for them? I think we did well. I'd like to see them keep DD but change the manager and coaching staff. I like the idea of us being players in the international market too. For the first time in a long time this organization feels like a bonifide, functional MLB outfit. 

I'm happy that what needs to happen is happening. Now, am I happy about the total haul? I dunno. The quantity approach leaves me feeling overwhelmed. So many guys to keep track of, so much luck needed.  But assuming at least a few pan out AND the fact we will be getting high picks AND the international $$$ AND the handful of near-ready current farm guys, I suppose I'm optimistic overall. I'm very happy Big Pete doesn't seem to be calling the shots anymore, but I'm still worried about FO disfunction. Time will tell. 

I am very happy with the direction of the club. They have finally picked a solid direction and a full rebuild was the only direction that I would have been happy with. The trades? its just too early to tell, I was good with the Schoop deal and underwhelmed with the Gausman trade. But time will tell.

As much as it hurt to sit through the dark years and then watch Nelson Cruz and Nick Markakis walk and then watch the team slowly devolve over the last 2 years and then watch all my favorite Orioles get traded away, it will make everything much sweeter in a couple of years when we've developed a long-term infrastructure of success. 

This is something the team needed to do and now that we've got the rebuild many have been begging for it's interesting to note the discontent on the board. 

I will miss that 2011-2015 squad and am thankful that I got to witness Orioles playoff games in my adult life. 

Let's celebrate the future! 

MSK 

I'm torn. I hear reports that we got some good raw talent. Then I see others that say the Orioles got fleeced on both trades. I guess time will tell.

Much of the things I see suggest Encarnacion from Atlanta may be the best of the group we got today. Hopefully Thorne is around here still if and when Encarnacion makes it to the bigs.

BAYSOX ACQUIRE THREE PLAYERS AT TRADE DEADLINE

The Baltimore Orioles have assigned RHP Luis Ortiz, C Brett Cumberland and LHP Bruce Zimmermann to Double-A Bowie after making a pair of deals at the trade deadline Tuesday afternoon. Ortiz comes from the Milwaukee Brewers system as part of a trade for INF Jonathan Schoop, while Cumberland and Zimmerman arrives in Maryland from the Atlanta Braves as part of a trade for RHP Kevin Gausman and Darren O’Day.

Ortiz, 22, made 11 starts (16 appearances) for Double-A Biloxi this season, going 3-4 with a 3.71 ERA (28 ER/68.0 IP) and 65 strikeouts. In 70 career minor league starts (82 games), he has gone 18-21 with a 3.20 ERA (115 ER/323.1 IP) and 287 strikeouts. He was selected to the 2018 SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game, tossing 0.1 of an inning and retiring the only batter he faced. He was invited to his first Spring Training in 2018 as a non-roster invitee. He was named a South Atlantic League Mid-Season All-Star in 2015, his first full season in professional baseball. He is currently ranked as the Brewers seventh-best prospect, according to MLB.com. Ortiz was acquired by the Brewers on August 1, 2016 in a five-player trade that sent C Jonathan Lucroy and RHP Jeremy Jeffress to the Texas Rangers. He was originally selected by Texas in the first round (No. 30 overall) of the 2014 First-Year Player Draft.

Cumberland, 23, batted .228/.357/.389 (68-for-298) with 15 doubles, 11 home runs, 41 runs, 39 RBI, and 53 walks in 87 games between Class-A Advanced Florida and Double-A Mississippi. He spent the majority of the season with Florida, appearing in 82 games and hitting .236/.367/.407 (66-for-280) with 15 doubles, 11 home runs, 40 runs, 39 RBI, and 52 walks. He is a two-time Mid-Season All-Star and was named a South Atlantic League Player of the Week in 2017 with Class-A Rome. In 243 career minor league games, he has batted .242/.373/.404 (198-for-817) with 53 doubles, 25 home runs, 100 runs, and 138 RBI. He currently ranks as the 30th-best prospect in the Braves organization according to MLB.com. He was originally selected by Atlanta in the competitive balance round (No. 76 overall) in the 2016 First-Year Player Draft.

Zimmerman, 23, split the season between Class-A Rome and Double-A Mississippi, going a combined 9-4 with a 2.86 ERA (36 ER/113.1 IP) with 125 strikeouts in 20 starts. He began the season with Rome in the South Atlantic League, posting a record of 7-3 with a 2.76 ERA (26 ER/84.2 IP) and 18 walks against 99 strikeouts in 14 starts. He was promoted to Mississippi on June 28, and went 2-1 with a 3.14 ERA (10 ER/28.2 IP) in six starts at the Double-A level. Zimmerman was named the SAL Pitcher of the Week for the period ending on May 20 (7.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 9 K) and was a SAL Mid-Season All-Star. In 31 career minor league starts, he has gone 9-5 with a 2.90 ERA (44 ER/136.2 IP). He was originally selected by the Braves in the fifth round of the 2017 First-Year Player Draft. Zimmerman is a native of Baltimore and attended Loyola Blakefield High School.

I am very happy.  This is the direction the Orioles needed to go.  I think I might see a World Series in my lifetime now.  I hope they can shed a few contracts in August too.  We added 15? new players to the system.  Our depth is killer.  We still lack that #1 Knockout prospect, but with a combination of the drafts, the intl signs (Pray VVM), and a better player development system, we might have THE most talked about minor league system within 3 years.  As a small market team, we shed a ton of cash, and we will continue to shed more over the next couple years as well.  So in three years, we could have a #1 system and a ton of loot to throw at a key player or 3.  This is what needed to happen. I'm so happy that I could even dance to that stupid "Happy" song by Pharrell.  

It’s a new direction.  We had to do something.  Not certain the return on Gausman/Schoop would have been better in the off-season and we don’t want to end up where we did with Machado (trading him too late).  If nothing else, we’ve added a ton of competition in the minors that will help push others and make them better.  These next few years will test our patience, but it could also be fun.

3 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Not happy with EITHER trade. Schoop deal was a complete bust.Stupid.

C'mon Roy. You've been around the game for far to long to be this reactionary. Gausman was never going to reach his potential (with us) and Schoop was never going to resign after his best friend was traded. That's the reality of the situation. 

Me personally am beyond disappointed and completely loathe the Chris Davis signing.

Looking for someone to come back and tell meManny never would have signed long-term in Baltimore, but I’m under the impression be would have. It feel like we chose Davis over Machado and are forced to blow up our team because of it.

I’ll update my vote in another 6 years when we can wipe our hands of this contract.

...that said, it sounds like our team is pivoting in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

C'mon Roy. You've been around the game for far to long to be this reactionary. Gausman was never going to reach his potential (with us) and Schoop was never going to resign after his best friend was traded. That's the reality of the situation. 

I’m out of rep, so yeah, totally agreed. And that is indeed the reality of the situation. Schoop was not going to come back if anyone has been reading the tea leaves lately. Just saw that thread that quoted Dan referring to a “tear down” and why trade Gausman when he was controllable, etc, and he said no sense in keeping anyone who won’t be around when the team is good again. 

Archived