How Waiver Deadline Trades Work

weams

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Not sure about offseason but SirLoin verified that he is currently living in Cal's house, and he paid a lot of money to live there.

Hell, AJ did an interview with MASN and the Sun had this in their paper.

Didnt need insider information here.

AJ picked it up at Auction, cheaper than what it was on the market for.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Not sure about offseason but SirLoin verified that he is currently living in Cal's house, and he paid a lot of money to live there.

I had heard that when he bought Cal's house it was an investment and that he actually flips houses as a hobby/investment

Be nice if the local media actually told us something about the local athletes. Easier to get info on any entertainer.

And I tried to google his charities that kept him from leaving for two months. The latest thing I could find was from 2017, and that was just a short article on Girls and Boys clubs. Is that his main charity or does he others?

He got  a great deal on Cal's house.  At one time they were asking $12 million for it and then lowered it to under $10 million.  They had the auction and I was told yesterday he settled on the house and got it for $3.45 million. I will look into this some more but the source was reliable..

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

The public line was that it was an investment property. SirLoin showed that he is actually living there. I forget how he proved it but it could have been something he got off of Twitter. I am not saying he is an insider and don't care, but he is living in Baltimore area.

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

The fact that he bought it was known.   The fact that he was actually living there was news to me.   

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The public line was that it was an investment property. SirLoin showed that he is actually living there. I forget how he proved it but it could have been something he got off of Twitter. I am not saying he is an insider and don't care, but he is living in Baltimore area.

Well, Jones did put his own mansion up for sale.

http://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/hot-property/la-fi-hotprop-adam-jones-maryland-home-for-sale-20180712-story.html

Pretty good deal if he gets what he is asking for on his old house. Only 800k to move up from that to Cal's place that has a baseball field and indoor basketball court.  

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

Pretty good deal if he gets what he is asking for on his old house. Only 800k to move up from that to Cal's place that has a baseball field and indoor basketball court.  

5 acre house to 25 acre house.

Outstanding deal, and the house was valued over 10 million, and at one point was on the market for 12.75 mil

5 acre house to 25 acre house.

Outstanding deal, and the house was valued over 10 million, and at one point was on the market for 12.75 mil

I think what made it appeal to Adam made it not appeal to anyone else.  Most people with that much money don't want a huge basketball court and work out room.  If we had an NBA team in town probably would have went for more.   

Just now, atomic said:

I think what made it appeal to Adam made it not appeal to anyone else.  Most people with that much money don't want a huge basketball court and work out room.  If we had an NBA team in town probably would have went for more.   

I think weight rooms are actually pretty standard in mansion these days, from what I have seen on you-tube and HGTV,

Guys with money to buy that kind of house, can do a makeover and make it their own, so much easier than you and I could.

How August Trades Work
By Jeff Todd | August 1, 2018 at 10:49am CDT

Now that the July 31st non-waiver trade deadline has passed, teams can still make trades, only with more restrictions than before.  The full list of rules surrounding post-deadline trades have, of course, been shared elsewhere, most notably in an article by Jayson Stark (then with ESPN.com) from all the way back in 2004, and in greater detail at Cub Reporter. 

After the trade deadline, a big-league player must pass through revocable waivers before his team can trade him without restriction. These waivers last 47 hours. If no one claims him in that period, his team can trade him anywhere.
If a player is claimed, his team can do one of three things. It can trade the player to the claiming team, revoke the waiver request (in which case the player will remain with his original team), or simply allow the claiming team to take the player and his salary (although a player with no-trade rights can block this from happening).
A recent example of an August trade that developed from a waiver claim was the Mariners’ acquisition of Arquimedes Caminero from the Pirates in 2016.  The Mariners claimed Caminero and then worked out a deal with the Bucs to bring the right-hander to Seattle for two players to be named later. An example of a claim that didn’t result in a trade occurred in 2015, when an unknown team claimed Brewers reliever Francisco Rodriguez. The two sides couldn’t strike a deal, so the Brewers revoked their waiver request, and K-Rod remained in Milwaukee. Examples of teams simply letting players go via revocable waivers are more rare, particularly with big-contract players. That being said, it is always possible; in 2009, the White Sox claimed Alex Rios from the Blue Jays, who simply let him go to Chicago without a trade. The White Sox were thus responsible for all of the approximately $62MM remaining on Rios’ contract.
A team has 48.5 hours to trade a claimed player, and can only negotiate with the team awarded the claim on him.
It’s common for teams to place players on revocable waivers, and their having done so does not necessarily mean they have serious plans to trade them. As Stark points out, teams commonly use waivers of certain players purely as smokescreens to disguise which players they really are interested in trading. In fact, sometimes teams place their entire rosters on waivers.
If more than one team claims a player, priority is determined by worst record to best record in the league of the waiving team, followed by worst record to best record in the other league. For example, if an NL team places a player on revocable waivers, the team with the NL’s worst record will get first priority on claims, followed by every other team in the NL from worst to best, followed by AL teams from worst to best.
If a team pulls a player back from waivers once, it cannot do so again in August. So if a team places a player on waivers for a second time, those waivers will be non-revocable.
Players not on 40-man rosters are eligible to be traded at any time without passing through waivers.
A player on the disabled list can only pass through waivers if his minimum period of inactivity has passed and he is healthy and able to play at his accustomed level.

[P]layers acquired after August 31st can’t play in the postseason.
Due to the number of restrictions in place, it has long been relatively rare to see trades of real significance go down in August. But that all changed last year in a wild month of action. A variety of notable players were moved during August of 2017, most famously including Justin Verlander, who ultimately helped lead the Astros to a World Series victory. Justin Upton, Mike Leake, Neil Walker, Jay Bruce, Yonder Alonso, Brandon Phillips, Rajai Davis, Curtis Granderson, Tyler Clippard, and Sean Rodriguez were among the others that were swapped.

[T]he biggest August trade in recent memory remains the nine-player swap between the Dodgers and Red Sox in 2012 that saw Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford and Josh Beckett head to L.A.  That ground-shifting deal not only launched a Dodgers resurgence, but also allowed the Red Sox to clear tens of millions in salary commitments off their books, paving the way for the team to reload in the offseason and go on to win the 2013 World Series.

This post is adapted from a prior series of posts.

MLBTR.com

Archived