2019 and the 40 man

jerios55

So, while some trades might still be made in Augst (Gentry, Valencia...) my thinking is we won't have too many additions that require a spot on the 40 man.  While guys like O'Day seem mostly like a salary dump, it also opens up spots on the 40 man.

I am not fully versed in how many new guys require being on the 40 man next year, but it was mentioned a few times with the Dodgers/Yankee trades.  Like many of us getting a crash course in international workings, I don't know what status a guy like VVM would have signing here. 

As currently built, what do we expect to see going into next year as the 40 protected guys?  (Or 34 and 6 Rule V guys... ;))

1 hour ago, jerios55 said:

So, while some trades might still be made in Augst (Gentry, Valencia...) my thinking is we won't have too many additions that require a spot on the 40 man.  While guys like O'Day seem mostly like a salary dump, it also opens up spots on the 40 man.

I am not fully versed in how many new guys require being on the 40 man next year, but it was mentioned a few times with the Dodgers/Yankee trades.  Like many of us getting a crash course in international workings, I don't know what status a guy like VVM would have signing here. 

As currently built, what do we expect to see going into next year as the 40 protected guys?  (Or 34 and 6 Rule V guys... ;))

40 man as of today for next year first 29 on active roster now

1. Joseph

2. Sisco

3. Wynns

4. Davis 

5. Trumbo 

6. Mancini

7. Villar

8. Beckham

9. Nunez

10. Hays

11. Valera

12. Santander

13. Rickard

14. Bundy

15. Cobb

16. Casto

17. Cashner

18. Hess

19. Rameriez

20. Bleier

21. Scott

22. Givens

23. Fry

24. Hart

25. Wright

26. Yacabonis

27. Harvey

28. Arraujo

29. Carroll

Players have to be added

30 Tate

31. Mullins

32. Stewart

33. Gonzalez

34. Kline

35. Rodgers

36. Means

37. Ortiz 

36 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

40 man as of today for next year first 29 on active roster now

1. Joseph

2. Sisco

3. Wynns

4. Davis 

5. Trumbo 

6. Mancini

7. Villar

8. Beckham

9. Nunez

10. Hays

11. Valera

12. Santander

13. Rickard

14. Bundy

15. Cobb

16. Casto

17. Cashner

18. Hess

19. Rameriez

20. Bleier

21. Scott

22. Givens

23. Fry

24. Hart

25. Wright

26. Yacabonis

27. Harvey

28. Arraujo

29. Carroll

Players have to be added

30 Tate

31. Mullins

32. Stewart

33. Gonzalez

34. Kline

35. Rodgers

36. Means

37. Ortiz 

You forgot Wilkerson, who will be back shortly. Do not see a reason for him to be removed.

46 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

You forgot Wilkerson, who will be back shortly. Do not see a reason for him to be removed.

The question will be if he can play SS.  Him and Valera are pretty much interchangeable and whoever they think can handle SS as the utility guy will make the roster or if they don't think either one can then they will bring someone that can.  This year they had Manny, Beckham, and Schoop who could play it so the utility guy like Velencia or Peterson did't have to be able to play it.

17 minutes ago, jgjbanker said:

I see several players who can be removed from next year’s 40 man.  Possibilities are Joseph, Sanatander, Nunez, and possibly Arraujo. 

They didn't do all that work to keep Santander these last two years to let him go on a rebuild still has ton of potential.  The same with Arraujo talented and cheap they are not going to let go right now.  Nunez will be auditioning with a few of the guys down the stretch to see who stays.  Nunez is younger and more potential then guys like Wilkerson, and Velera.   Joseph may not if they find someone that might need a catcher here in August but even if they do they will add a veteran in the off season to the 40 man because there isn't anyone knocking on the door in the minors.

Just now, bpilktree67 said:

They didn't do all that work to keep Santander these last two years to let him go on a rebuild still has ton of potential.  The same with Arraujo talented and cheap they are not going to let go right now.  Nunez will be auditioning with a few of the guys down the stretch to see who stays.  Nunez is younger and more potential then guys like Wilkerson, and Velera.   Joseph may not if they find someone that might need a catcher here in August but even if they do they will add a veteran in the off season to the 40 man because there isn't anyone knocking on the door in the minors.

What he has is a staph infection in his knee.

1 hour ago, bpilktree67 said:

The question will be if he can play SS.  Him and Valera are pretty much interchangeable and whoever they think can handle SS as the utility guy will make the roster or if they don't think either one can then they will bring someone that can.  This year they had Manny, Beckham, and Schoop who could play it so the utility guy like Velencia or Peterson did't have to be able to play it.

He might not stay on the 25, but he will likely be on the 40, even with Valera. An extra utility guy is not a bad thing. He can practice at short this fall like he did this past winter.

11 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

He might not stay on the 25, but he will likely be on the 40, even with Valera. An extra utility guy is not a bad thing. He can practice at short this fall like he did this past winter.

Sure you can keep him but I don't think they go with just one guy that can play SS in the major leagues on the 40 man.  Wilkerson, Valera can not play SS if they need one and Beckham goes down.   Wilkerson is a utility guy that can't play SS the are a dime a dozen.  We know they will add a guy or two in the Rule 5 draft and I think they will add a vetern starter  or reliever on the cheap so that last spot is going to have to be a guy that can fill in at short if Beckham goes down on the disabled list.  

Archived