'18-'19 Free Agency strategy

99ct

2 hours ago, 99ct said:

What, if anything, do you guys think (or hope) the free agency strategy is going forward? We've cleared up a ton of money and obviously focused on reloading the farm. A lot of talk about adding international talent, too. But what about free agents? Do you think FAs will play a big part of the rebuilding strategy, or will we try to grow everything organically? 

Personally, I feel like we've been burned with bad contracts too many times. Also, most of the currently successful rebuilding projects are driven heavily by strong farm systems. That said, it does make me a bit sad (in a baseball kind of sense) that we can't just go sign some good players and be back to relevance in 2019.

For sake of argument, here is the list of free agents. https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/

Seems like Manny and Bryce are really the only two who are even worth pursing, when you consider that we basically need to be thinking, at the earliest, to '20-'21. I kind of assume we won't even bother bidding, perhaps rightly so. 

Reduce the payroll. Field A TEAM. Buy very low and try to pick targets that can be traded for value.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lucky_13 said:

I'd non tender Beckham. I think he is what he is he. A guy who can't hit much and can't play defense well enough to make up for it. Then I'd sign Freddy Galvis or Jose Iglesias to play SS as a placeholder.  Also non tender Joseph, Wynns is basically the same guy. Play the kids

C : Sisco, Wynns 

1B: Davis

2B: Villar 

3B: Mountcastle 

SS: Iglesias/Galvis

LF: Mancini 

CF: Mullins 

RF: Stewart 

DH: Trumbo 

I would be willing to give Iglesias a 2 year deal. We have no one close at SS.  

The most important thing is to get a plus defender at short. It doesn’t matter how bad he is offensively. That will help Cashner and Cobb establish some value and get their era’s back to their career normals. It will also help the young pitchers that are likely to get a shot next year.

2 minutes ago, matt331 said:

The most important thing is to get a plus defender at short. It doesn’t matter how bad he is offensively. That will help Cashner and Cobb establish some value and get their era’s back to their career normals. It will also help the young pitchers that are likely to get a shot next year.

I agree. After that I say you just sit back and wait to see who is left in February that will want to take a one year deal that might be traded later. Targeting anything else is counter productive.

No reason to rush Stewart and Mountcastle. Stewart hasn't even hit .250 and it won't hurt to give Mountcastle at least part of a season at Norfolk. To me, it's counter-productive not to make sure they dominant at each level before moving them up and possibly messing up their progress.

7 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

No reason to rush Stewart and Mountcastle. Stewart hasn't even hit .250 and it won't hurt to give Mountcastle at least part of a season at Norfolk. To me, it's counter-productive not to make sure they dominant at each level before moving them up and possibly messing up their progress.

Yea, I think it was a huge mistake when they brought Manny up in 2012 when he was only hitting .262.  He wasn't really dominating when they promoted him and I think it hurt him in the long run.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, I think it was a huge mistake when they brought Manny up in 2012 when he was only hitting .262.  He wasn't really dominating when they promoted him and I think it hurt him in the long run.

When there is a need and they are ready. Bring them. There is no need. But if they are really ready, bring them up. 

Just now, orioles22 said:

Yeah, Stewart reminded me a lot of Manny when I saw him earlier this summer. Good point.

You are the one trying to use a one size fits all approach to things.

Personally I think getting promoted to the majors might help Stewart since the called strike zone should be more consistent.

40 minutes ago, matt331 said:

If You want the best shortstop just bring up Salcedo from Bowie. He's a wiz. Can't hit. But wiz. Bannon is a gem at third or second. Gem. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are the one trying to use a one size fits all approach to things.

Personally I think getting promoted to the majors might help Stewart since the called strike zone should be more consistent.

That is a very good point. He has the strike zone. Down. 

Archived