Tired of Trembley's Quick Hook

Trace21230

I have no idea how you can say this

and then immediately say this

I think I understand that your point was that Trembley doesn't typically adjust well. But at some point, we just have to trust him as manager to do what he thinks is the best move at the time. He honestly could be roasted on this board for leaving him in or lifting him. :noidea:

I like how you bolded what you did but didn't include the 1 run and 3 run part...Those are the whole keys to that post.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 blown saves. If those 6 saves are made we are 12 games over .500. Twelve games!

:puke:

First of all, it's ridiculous to think that a closer should save every single game. There's not a closer in the league who does that.

Secondly, not every one of Sherrill's blown saves led to a loss (the game against the Pirates, for instance), so your math is wrong.

Yes you do and JJ has been lights out this year...However, Guthrie just had a great inning and deserved to come back out after the 3 run lead occured.

I am not saying this loss is on DT but he made the wrong call.

With a 1 run, you absolutely pull Guthrie, especially with his home run tendancies.

In my previous post, I didn't intend to ignore what you were saying about the difference between a 1-run and a 3-run lead. In any case, either choice by DT could have failed, and you can't fault him for going to JJ there

So according to SG, we tell Guthrie he's done and warm up Johnson, but THEN after we score two, we tell Guthrie he's back in and tell Johnson to sit down. That's idiotic on any number of levels.

Hindsight at its best.

First of all, it's ridiculous to think that a closer should save every single game. There's not a closer in the league who does that.

Secondly, not every one of Sherrill's blown saves led to a loss (the game against the Pirates, for instance), so your math is wrong.

Is it ridiculous to expect your closer to avoid blowing 6 saves in two weeks? Or is it ridiculous to make excuses for that?

Trembley absolutely made the right call tonight. Almost every time he tries to push Guthrie past 100 pitches, Jeremy starts to get hit hard. I can't believe anyone would criticize Trembley for bringing in Jim Johnson, who has been lights-out all season. If he had replaced Guthrie with someone like Dennis Sarfate, maybe there'd be a legitimate beef, but it's a very rare occurrence for JJ to give up two runs.

So according to SG, we tell Guthrie he's done and warm up Johnson, but THEN after we score two, we tell Guthrie he's back in and tell Johnson to sit down. That's idiotic on any number of levels.

Hindsight at its best.

Even with the inappropriate name calling, this post actually makes sense.

Really? Has Trembley ever allowed Guthrie to pitch over 100 pitches? How are we supposed to build his endurance to over 100 pitches if he's never left in?

If Guthrie pitches every night like tonight and gets seven good innings, I'm fine with his decision. If he went to anyone other than JOhnson- to lead up to Sherril, then I might have a problem with it.

I know it's tough to expect our top guys in th epen to ALWAYS be good- but Johnson has been too good not to bring in when Guthrie goes over the 100 pitch mark thru 7 innings.

Is it ridiculous to expect your closer to avoid blowing 6 saves in two weeks? Or is it ridiculous to make excuses for that?

6 blown saves in two weeks is a lot, but how many did he have all season before that? One or two?

Trembley absolutely made the right call tonight. Almost every time he tries to push Guthrie past 100 pitches, Jeremy starts to get hit hard. I can't believe anyone would criticize Trembley for bringing in Jim Johnson, who has been lights-out all season. If he had replaced Guthrie with someone like Dennis Sarfate, maybe there'd be a legitimate beef, but it's a very rare occurrence for JJ to give up two runs.

It's not just tonight. Trembley routinely goes to the bullpen too early and it's why the bullpen is totally worn out.

We saw the same scenario play out in 2007, 2006, 2005, etc.... It just took a bit longer this year.

Hindsight at its best.

Johnson is warm in case there is any issues.

Guthrie just has to be able to get his ass off the bench and be ready to pitch.

If you don't think he can do that, then the idiotic comment didn't come from me.

6 blown saves. If those 6 saves are made we are 12 games over .500. Twelve games!

:puke:

10 games over .500.

Understand something - the average bullpen only saves about 70%. If you have 6 opportunities, on average you will blow one or two.

Two weeks ago, the O's save percentage was 76%, well above league average. Now, the save percentage is 66%, which is below league average. The bullpen has gone from a strength to a weakness in a blink of an eye.

Archived