Tired of Trembley's Quick Hook

Trace21230

First of all, it's ridiculous to think that a closer should save every single game. There's not a closer in the league who does that.

Secondly, not every one of Sherrill's blown saves led to a loss (the game against the Pirates, for instance), so your math is wrong.

Let's face it, IMO, it all started with the errors - BOTH by Bynum- that caused us to lose 2 of those games- so puttingt hose on Sherril or anyone is ridiculous. The bigger problem is that the doubt creeps in when you blow games- regardless of how they came about. Those errors royallt messed up the momentum the Birds have had in close games in the closing innings.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 blown saves in the last 2 weeks. - all of them bad ones, too.

Wait, that's a statistic.

I posted this after the Cabrera start. Regardless of whether one thinks Guthrie should've come out for the 8th, Trembley's decision didn't cost us this game. It's not Trembley's fault that JJ and Sherrill didn't get the job done.

It feels like the final week of the Perlozzo era. The final ending has already been written it's just a matter of how the script plays out. At no time tonight did I feel confident. I kept thinking about the free first run we gave them and the play that Eckstein made to save a run. When Johnson let up 2 runs I thought for sure we would lose.

It feels like the final week of the Perlozzo era. The final ending has already been written it's just a matter of how the script plays out. At no time tonight did I feel confident. I kept thinking about the free first run we gave them and the play that Eckstein made to save a run. When Johnson let up 2 runs I thought for sure we would lose.

I had the same feeling on Tuesday when Trembley gave Cabrera the early hook with a 6-2 lead. I knew we'd lose that game and I knew we'd lose tonight's game.

This is a familiar feeling.

Johnson is warm in case there is any issues.

Guthrie just has to be able to get his ass off the bench and be ready to pitch.

If you don't think he can do that, then the idiotic comment didn't come from me.

Agree about the Johnson part, although I certainly believe it would be better to bring JJ in with the bases empty than bring him in to clean up Guthrie's mess.

However, I think you drastically underestimate the mental impact it would have on Guthrie to come in from the 7th and have DT tell him he's done for the night (which is certainly what happened) only to come back in 10 minutes after we score twice and tell him to go back out there. That isn't fair to JG.

Like I said, this is a classic case of hindsight.

First of all, it's ridiculous to think that a closer should save every single game. There's not a closer in the league who does that.

Secondly, not every one of Sherrill's blown saves led to a loss (the game against the Pirates, for instance), so your math is wrong.

The six blown saves he is referring to are by the whole bullpen, not all by Sherrill, and all within the last 2 weeks. They all led to losses.

And while you are right that no closer saves them all, Sherrill now is tied for the league lead in blown saves, and his saves percentage of 82% is now well below most of the league's top closers.

I had the same feeling on Tuesday when Trembley gave Cabrera the early hook with a 6-2 lead. I knew we'd lose that game and I knew we'd lose tonight's game.

This is a familiar feeling.

I don't agree with you though on your thoughts about managers. It's the players not the manager. I also have no problem with defined roles. Managers can only do so much.

Agree about the Johnson part, although I certainly believe it would be better to bring JJ in with the bases empty than bring him in to clean up Guthrie's mess.

However, I think you drastically underestimate the mental impact it would have on Guthrie to come in from the 7th and have DT tell him he's done for the night (which is certainly what happened) only to come back in 10 minutes after we score twice and tell him to go back out there. That isn't fair to JG.

Like I said, this is a classic case of hindsight.

Not really, i felt this way when it happened.

DT shouldn't said you are done...He should have said if we get any add on runs, you are staying in or not even say anything at all.

You guys all rave about how smart JG is...How good he is. And you are telling me he couldn't have been successful if DT said, i change my mind, go back out there?

LOL...Talk about a bunch of bs and inconsistency.

Trembley absolutely made the right call tonight. Almost every time he tries to push Guthrie past 100 pitches, Jeremy starts to get hit hard. I can't believe anyone would criticize Trembley for bringing in Jim Johnson, who has been lights-out all season. If he had replaced Guthrie with someone like Dennis Sarfate, maybe there'd be a legitimate beef, but it's a very rare occurrence for JJ to give up two runs.

Absolutely. You've lost 4 in a row and have been in a spiral in general . You're doing whatever it takes to salvage a game before you head into Boston.This isn't the situation where trying to save or rest the bullpen is even an option. You want this one at all costs. So do you go to the set up guy with an ERA under 1 or stay with the starter whose at 100 pitches and has struggled in the past after going over the century mark. It's really a pretty easy call.

DT shouldn't said you are done...He should have said if we get any add on runs, you are staying in or not even say anything at all.

You guys all rave about how smart JG is...How good he is. And you are telling me he couldn't have been successful if DT said, i change my mind, go back out there?

I can't say what you are saying doesn't have some merit but the bottom line is we had a 3 run lead with our 2 big guys ready and they didn't do the job. It's not like Trembley asked somebody to do something they are not capable of. We are playing losing baseball right now and no matter what Trembley does it probably won't work.

You've obviously never played and that isn't- thank the sweet lord above- how Trembley manages. He's honest, upfront, and communicates with his players- about when they'll be playing, when they won't be playing, about their roles, and about when they'll go into and come out of games. You don't tell a guy he's done for the night and then put him back into the game. That isn't fair to him mentally or physically.

And yes, this is hindsight, because if JJ and GS go out there and slam the door shut, like they should have and like they've done mostly all year, you wouldn't have muttered a peep about how JG should have pitched the 8th. All we would have heard from you is how he gave up too many FBs and is a back of the rotation- at best- starter.

Well, mark it down because I agree with Sports Guy.

Guthrie has earned the role of "ace" on this team and he was not treated like one by Trembley tonight.

If Guthrie can't go into the 8th inning at 100 pitches, who on this team can? If the answer is nobody, then say hello to Olney's prediction coming true.

Again, going to Johnson can't be considered a bad move or the wrong move but Guthrie may have felt he was done anyway. Do we know for a fact Trembley told Guthrie he was done and it wasn't Guthrie's decision.

Again, going to Johnson can't be considered a bad move or the wrong move but Guthrie may have felt he was done anyway. Do we know for a fact Trembley told Guthrie he was done and it wasn't Guthrie's decision.

This is a good point. My criticism of the move assumes that Guthrie did not have an injury or was exhausted. I'll definitely listen to what Dave says after the game.

But again, this is not just about tonight. DT routinely goes to the bullpen too early in my opinion. Except of course when Garrett Olson is busy giving up seven runs in one inning. :rolleyes: And I didn't complain about DT's pitching management for that game.

You've obviously never played and that isn't- thank the sweet lord above- how Trembley manages. He's honest, upfront, and communicates with his players- about when they'll be playing, when they won't be playing, about their roles, and about when they'll go into and come out of games. You don't tell a guy he's done for the night and then put him back into the game. That isn't fair to him mentally or physically.

And yes, this is hindsight, because if JJ and GS go out there and slam the door shut, like they should have and like they've done mostly all year, you wouldn't have muttered a peep about how JG should have pitched the 8th. All we would have heard from you is how he gave up too many FBs and is a back of the rotation- at best- starter.

Absolutely, you shut it down mentally. WHen that guy comes in in the bottom of the inning and you shake his hand, tell him good job and his night is over you don't go back 5 min later and tell him oh go get em killer.

Archived