LHP Sean Gilmartin coming up

Legend_Of_Joey

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

After watching him more, he's a guy who is a pitcher. He knows how to pitch which helps his below average stuff play up a bit. He's done a nice job overall, but he is what he is and that's an up down guy who can burn some innings for you. His 6.15 FIP, 1.33 WHIP and 4.7 K/9 all speak to a guy who is due some serious regression, but I'll give him credit for supplying some innings effectively which is something the more "higher touted" pitchers haven't really done.

He's been pretty effective against left-handers this year so the Orioles could do worse if they are looking for a left-handed reliever next year, but I think he has a better chance of being effective as a long man. Say what you want, he's a lot better than Nestor Cortes Jr.

I'd have to agree. 

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

After watching him more, he's a guy who is a pitcher. He knows how to pitch which helps his below average stuff play up.

He's been pretty effective against left-handers this year so the Orioles could do worse if they are looking for a left-handed reliever next year, but I think he has a better chance of being effective as a long man. Say what you want, he's a lot better than Nestor Cortes Jr.

Or, Donnie freakin Hart? 

• Upvote 1

o

4 shutout innings out of the bullpen.

Gilmartin has a very solid ERA, WHIP, and OBA for the season.

He also appears to be somewhat of a groundball machine. In his last 2 outings combined, 77% of the outs that he recorded (20 out of 26) came via the Groundout and the Strikeout.

12 OUTS: 7 Groundouts, 2 Strikeouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Popout 

SEAN PATRICK GILMARTIN )))))))) (vs. RED SOX, 9/24)

IP:lll4

H:llll ) l(1 Single)

R:lll  0

BB:ll1

SO:lll2

Pitches: l) 54  )(32 )Strikes, )22)Balls)

2018 ERA: l)  2.88  )  25.00 IP  (8 ER) 

2018 WHIP: l)  1.200  )  25.00 IP  (30 H/BB) 

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .220  )(20 for 91)

PITCHES BY INNING  

18  lll(11 llStrikes, ll71 lllBalls)

22  lll(11lllStrikes, l11 llllBalls)

41  lll(41 llStrikes, lll01 llBalls)

10  llll(61 llStrikes, lll41 llBalls)

o

This guy is the perfect example of a pitch ability lefty. He moves the ball in and out, changes speeds, brushes guys back, and gets guys out with below average raw stuff.

My initial take on him wasn't totally wrong when it came to the stuff, but I didn't take into consideration how good of a pitcher he is with that stuff.

He's been a real find out of the pen and if he can maintain the kind of command he's shown, I might try and stretch him out and see what if he can start next year. Worse case he should be fine in his current role. Either way he's pitched himself into a job next year barring an implosion next spring.

He's also pitched in a World Series, 2015 with the Mets, 0.2 IP, scoreless, and has a life time batting line of .429 avg and 1.000 OPS (in 7 ABs) and he's never made an error in the field.  Done alright in a short career. 1.1 WAR in 2015 for a strong Mets team.  How many more years of control do we have of him?

29 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

He's also pitched in a World Series, 2015 with the Mets, 0.2 IP, scoreless, and has a life time batting line of .429 avg and 1.000 OPS (in 7 ABs) and he's never made an error in the field.  Done alright in a short career. 1.1 WAR in 2015 for a strong Mets team.  How many more years of control do we have of him?

2018 Contract Status: Pre-Arb Eligible

Service Time (01/2018): 1.073  •  Arb Eligible: 2020  •  Free Agent: 2023

When he's 34 or so years old. 

• 8 months later...
On 6/17/2019 at 6:33 PM, OFFNY said:

o

He's coming up again.

OriolesSelect Sean Gilmartin's Contract, DFA Joey Rickard

(By Roch Kubatko)

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/06/orioles-select-gilmartins-contract-and-dfa-rickard.html

o

o

4 DAYS LATER ) (June 21st)

Now, he's staring tonights game against the Mariners.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/1142146008056500224

o

o

7 OUTS:) 3 Flyouts, 2 Groundouts, 1 Strikeout, 1 Popout

SEAN PATRICK GILMARTIN ))))))) (vs. MARINERS, 6/21)

IP:ll2.33

H:lll 7 )(2 Home Runs, 1 Double, 4 Singles)

R:lllll 5

BB:ll2

SO:ll1

Pitches: ll)68 )(39)Strikes, )29)Balls)

2019 ERA: ))19.29  ))  2.33 IP  (5 ER) 

2019 WHIP: ))3.857  ))  2.33 IP  (9 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: ).500 ) (7 for 14)

PITCHES BY INNING

24 ll(13 llStrikes, ll11 llllBalls)

33 ll(19 llStrikes, ll14 llllBalls)

11 lll(71 llStrikes, lll41 lllBalls) ) *

* )) Gilmartin recorded 1 out before departing in the 3rd inning.

o