Who will get a better contract this winter, Markakis or Jones?

Frobby

Who will get a better contract this winter, Markakis or Jones?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who will get the better contract this winter?

17 hours ago, Prayin4Reign said:

Man...I like Adam and I want to see him do well, but as sincere as Adam's commitment to those things might be...that was more about control than anything else.  Plain and simple.

He was upset about the reality that the Orioles weren't going to bring him back.  He in turn didn't want to help the franchise; whether that be cutting salary for the rest of the season or the benefit of getting a fringe prospect in return.  And he was entitled to that as a 10/5 guy. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he goes to San Diego.  He's basically going to go to whatever franchise he feels is going to offer him the best opportunity to get ABs, make an impact as a veteran presence.  Maybe Philadelphia, Milwaukee?  I wish him the best.   

I think San Diego is a possibility. I don't think it really fits with what they should be doing, but neither did the Eric Hosmer move last offseason. They seem to do really well building a farm system, but their actions on the Major League roster have often been headscratchers.

I don't see Milwaukee as an option. They're already loaded in the outfield with Yelich, Cain, Braun, Thames, Santana and Broxton. They won't be able to offer him the ABs to entice him to go there.

It's remarkable how similar they are at this point. Average of OPS+ last three years: Jones 103.33, Markakis 103.67. Average WAR last three years: Jones 1.4, Markakis 1.67. Markakis is probably a little better defensively (Adam didn't play enough RF to make a strong comparison IMO), but Adam is two years younger. If a team were considering both, then it's a coin flip decision and the contracts should look very similar. 

Jon Heyman wrote an article for Fancred Sports today in which both an unnamed expert and he predict the deals that all the free agents will get.

Expert: Jones 3/$37.5, Markakis 2/$22 mm

Heyman: Jones 2/$22 mm, Markakis 2/$25 mm

A few other predictions of note:

Expert: Manny 10/$325 mm, Britton 4/$56 mm, Brach 3/$27 mm

Heyman: Manny 10/$300 mm, Britton 4/$60 mm, Brach 2/$14 mm

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Jon Heyman wrote an article for Fancred Sports today in which both an unnamed expert and he predict the deals that all the free agents will get.

I'm curious, what were the predictions for Harper (compared to Machado)? 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

No way Britton gets a 4 year deal

I think AJ has an inflated view of his worth, so Markakis will get the bigger contract because he will sign early. Jones will be late to sign and I see him getting a one year deal somewhere.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I would be in shock if Jones gets anything close to that. I'm not even sure Jones gets the 2/$22 Heyman suggested without some heavy incentives being reached.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I would be in shock if Jones gets anything close to that. I'm not even sure Jones gets the 2/$22 Heyman suggested without some heavy incentives being reached.

I tend to agree.   3-4 years ago, an outfielder with Jones' track record might have gotten a deal like that, but the market has shifted a lot in the last couple of offseasons.

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I tend to agree.   3-4 years ago, an outfielder with Jones' track record might have gotten a deal like that, but the market has shifted a lot in the last couple of offseasons.

That's the really the key for me. The analytics are not kind to a guy like Jones going forward. So many teams are using those analytics going forward which is why guys like Cashner and Cobb were still around in March for the Orioles.

Markakis is #18 on Keith Law's top 50 FA list. 

Jones didn't make the cut.

Here's what he had to say about Nick:

"Not to rain on anyone's parade here, but after a huge start to his season, in the second half Markakis kind of turned back into a pumpkin... He hit .258/.332/.369 after the All-Star break, which looks a lot like his previous five years: .277/.348/.380 overall, never slugging .400 in any of those seasons. He's a below-average regular in right field, and at 35 this year is far more likely to decline than improve. A one-year deal for $6 million-$8 million might be a bit rich given the lack of power, but there is some value in his durability: He has played in 155 or more games in six straight years and 11 of 12."

Edited by Chito