Mesa Brothers Declared Free Agents By MLB

section18

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

I'm not sure if it would be possible for me to disagree more than I do with your logic here.  The ability to offer more money than anyone else is a huge stick to be carrying.  Your assertion that poor people don't appreciate the difference that a few million dollars makes doesn't make sense to me.  Sorry.

I would also think there is a much better opportunity for them to be in the big leagues much sooner with a team that is the worst team in baseball than with a team that is at the top.  

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, McLovin said:

If I were Cuban, Miami sure seems like the most appealing option among who has a shot. Plus no state taxes. 

For a young player who seems to be very into young things, Miami also sure has us beat on things like nightlife and pretty girls. (No offense, but an Baltimore 8 is like a Miami 4.)

I agree with those that are saying money talks though. I can’t imagine a defector turning down the highest offer. 

$4m is pauper money in Miami. He could live larger in Baltimore. Those 8’s would go to his house in Miami Beach and say, “I thought you said you played professional baseball?” 

1 minute ago, LocoChris said:

If we can't beat out the Marlins for this clown we are well and truly effed.

I wouldn’t call him a clown and wouldn’t say that the Os screwed up if they don’t get him. They would screw up if it was the difference between $4.5mm and $5.5mm. I believe there is a deal in that is in place already and the showcase is for Jr and it is convenient to let VVM showcase as well to keep the heir of a deal not being done prior to eligibility. Don’t know this for certain, just what I think. 

44 minutes ago, sevastras said:

$4m is pauper money in Miami. He could live larger in Baltimore. Those 8’s would go to his house in Miami Beach and say, “I thought you said you played professional baseball?” 

4 gone in a year with the bottle service. 

Also, I would say it isn’t the end of the world if they get Jr instead of VVM. I would want both, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Jr has a better career when all is said and done. The issue with that is Jr is at least 3 years out, but the Os will stink the next two anyways. 

If you've been watching the turnover closely you'll notice DD has been adding more Latino players to the roster and we now have 3 starting in our lineup and that may increase. Trading for 21 year old Cuban Of Yusniel Diaz in the Manny deal was huge in building another reason for VVM to want to come here.  We have added more Latino pitchers as well.  Give him the money and when he gets here set him up in one of the gorgeous condos down at the Inner Harbor and he'll be just fine. Our poor record and weak outfield also means he could be starting here in two years or less.

17 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

What worries me a bit, so much hype, we expect this guy to be the next Cal Ripken Jr, and carrying this team to gloryland.

What if he ends up the next Puig, a problem child on and off the field.

It is funny to see how unrealistic people are.

If Mesa turns out be the equivalent of Puig that is a good scenario.

You should worry that Mesa turns out to  be the equivalent of high priced Cuban signings like Erisbel Arruebarrena,, Hector Olivera, Alex Guerrero, and  Yaisel Sierra.  

31 minutes ago, POR said:

It is funny to see how unrealistic people are.

If Mesa turns out be the equivalent of Puig that is a good scenario.

You should worry that Mesa turns out to  be the equivalent of high priced Cuban signings like Erisbel Arruebarrena,, Hector Olivera, Alex Guerrero, and  Yaisel Sierra.  

VVM is the best international prospect right now - but exactly. He's not billed to be some superstar baseball player. Puig-like would be a best case scenario. There is a high likelihood that Austin Hays, Cedric Mullins, and Yusniel Diaz will have better careers.

Archived