Machado: Hustling is 'not my cup of tea'

Malike

9 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not sure what you call this?

What is a routine play for 1000, Alex? If you want to laud him for scoring from 2nd on a base hit, then that's nice for you. The fact that there was even a play at the plate with 2 out and the runner going is an indictment of his lack of hustle if anything.

Part of this is on Buck. If he had sat him down for a few games when he doesn't run out a ball he would learn. The Orioles let Machado act like a badly behaved toddler for 7 years.  And people on here supported him.  Now he is out in the real world and there are repercussions.   I am so glad he is gone. 

14 hours ago, Malike said:

What is a routine play for 1000, Alex? If you want to laud him for scoring from 2nd on a base hit, then that's nice for you. The fact that there was even a play at the plate with 2 out and the runner going is an indictment of his lack of hustle if anything.

He had his fifth highest sprint speed of any time this year on this play.   So no, there is no indication of lack of hustle on this play.    You really have to be stretching to find fault with how Manny ran the bases here.    There have been plenty of other questionable plays by Manny in this series; no need to dilute legitimate criticisms of those plays by questioning this one.    

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

He had his fifth highest sprint speed of any time this year on this play.   So no, there is no indication of lack of hustle on this play.    You really have to be stretching to find fault with how Manny ran the bases here.    There have been plenty of other questionable plays by Manny in this series; no need to dilute legitimate criticisms of those plays by questioning this one.    

Its great he was sprinting. He was continually looking back instead of running with his head down, it made for a play at the plate. I think it's a legitimate criticism. You're celebrating his 5th best time all year because he's been completely lazy all year. If he's had 4 faster times, you'd think we'd see something close to it in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Malike said:

Its great he was sprinting. He was continually looking back instead of running with his head down, it made for a play at the plate. I think it's a legitimate criticism. You're celebrating his 5th best time all year because he's been completely lazy all year. If he's had 4 faster times, you'd think we'd see something close to it in the playoffs. 

We just disagree.   And the media commentary I’ve seen on that play has been nothing but positive.  

13 hours ago, atomic said:

Part of this is on Buck. If he had sat him down for a few games when he doesn't run out a ball he would learn. The Orioles let Machado act like a badly behaved toddler for 7 years.  And people on here supported him.  Now he is out in the real world and there are repercussions.   I am so glad he is gone. 

I agree, Buck enabled Machado"s lack of hustle.

Buck missed his opportunity to rein in Machado when he did not pull him out of a game or too for not hustling.

I'm glad that he is gone as well.

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don't think it's a stretch to criticize Manny for not getting a better jump off of second base. 

He should have been sprinting when the the pitcher made his move to the plate.

He looked back several times when he should have been trying to score the winning run.

He made the play closer than it shoud have been because he is a terrible baserunner.

Fifth highest sprint speed in that situation?

It should have been # 1 with a bullet.,

8 hours ago, Malike said:

I don't Manny knew the count ( 3-2) or the number of outs.

Maybe he was trying to be the anti " Johnny Hustle" by scoring the winning run by looking back over his shoulder.

Here is how Fangraphs described Manny’s trip around the bases that scored the winning run, in an article that otherwise concluded that the earlier play where he clipped Aguilar’s leg was a dirty play:

”[W]e’d ideally be focusing on his key hit, his smart and aggressive take of second base on a wild pitch, and his impressive dash from second to home on a single to right field...”

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/manny-machado-gets-dirty/

That’s how objective observers saw it, regardless of what they thought of Machado’s other antics in this series.    

I'm not entirely sure what kind of agenda you're trying to push here Frobby.

If a guy is vocal about how much he doesn't like to hustle and is known as kind of a diva............that means he is physically incapable of turning the jets on to score a winning run even if he wanted to.

I mean, it's just science.

Archived