TT: Silence of Ownership is Deafening

Tony-OH

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

No one expects them to renew the contracts. It's the fact that this process is still going to the point these contracts are running out is the issue.

I'd rather they took their time and got it right than do something idiotic like the Mets just did.  I think the GM choice will come fairly quickly after they choose the top executive.  That is likely part of the interview process for the exec, determining who or what type of GM that person prefers to hire.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I'd rather they took their time and got it right than do something idiotic like the Mets just did.  I think the GM choice will come fairly quickly after they choose the top executive.  That is likely part of the interview process for the exec, determining who or what type of GM that person prefers to hire.

I understand what you say but doggone should it take this long to make a move? This ownership drives me crazy.

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

How long do you think is a reasonable time to conduct the search? Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they begun their search the day they fired Duquette (0/3) It's ludicrous if they just started on that date, but let's just start there for argument sake. In three days it will be a month. All but the playoff teams were done by then so any candidate under consideration should have been interviewed already. Unless the Orioles were waiting on a Boston/Los Angeles candidate, the candidate should have already been interviewed by now. 

So in your mind, since you think the Orioles are going about this the right way, when does your patience run out on the process and you start to have concerns?

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

How long do you think is a reasonable time to conduct the search? Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they begun their search the day they fired Duquette (0/3) It's ludicrous if they just started on that date, but let's just start there for argument sake. In three days it will be a month? All but the playoff teams were done by then so any candidate under consideration should have been interviewed already. Unless the Orioles were waiting on a Boston/Los Angeles candidate, the candidate should have already been interviewed by now. 

So in your mind, since you think the Orioles are going about this the right way, when does your patience run out on the process and you stat to have concerns?

Is it possible that Dan and Buck were dismissed in part based on conversations that day or the week before?

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I would like someone in placeby the GM meetings.  Believe me, I want this wrapped up soon so that the team can move on.

Move on. Meaning hiring staff I assume. Because the Orioles have only Bundy to sell and no one to buy. No one. Don't be looking for acquisitions at the MLB level this off season. 

Just now, weams said:

Is it possible that Dan and Buck were dismissed in part based on conversations that day or the week before?

I literally have no idea how, when, or what went into the firing of Duquette and Buck. I have no idea why Duquette was allowed to make the trades and then fired. I have no idea why Duquette was talking about the future in September if he was going to be fired. I really have no idea or even theories on how the Angelos brothers do business. I'm also fairly certain that no one else in the media or within baseball does either.

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Move on. Meaning hiring staff I assume. Because the Orioles have only Bundy to sell and no one to buy. No one. Don't be looking for acquisitions at the MLB level this off season. 

Yes, hiring for front office, scouting, ML coaches, player development, analytics, etc..

1 minute ago, weams said:

I'd prefer it done now. I can't see that it matters at this point. 

The problem is, if they hire someone in December, who's available to be hired by them? Who doesn't have a job lined up by November other than current Orioles people and those who were not retained by their former clubs? This is why this should have been decided this season, long before the season was over. Allowing Duquette to work through his contract and even make the trades for the future seems ridiculous if they were not planning on retaining him. If they knew he was not the guy, they should not have waited until October to start looking for his replacement. 

Then again, it's in the Angelos blood to do everything as slowly and deliberately as possible. Until I see otherwise, I will hold out hope that the Orioles will bring in some kind of President who has a team lined up and will turn the keys overs to him. I hope because I'm a fan of the team, but I don't have confidence that's going to happen.

36 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Not the winter meetings.  GM meeting is November 6-8 in Carlsbad, CA.  So I’m talking about one week.

Not much usually happens at the GM meetings, deal-wise.   Maybe some preliminary discussions.   Yes I’d much rather have a GM in place by then, but even if we do, how prepared is that person going to be to start wheeling and dealing?    Not very.

It’s really more the principle of the thing.  It’s been obvious for months that the front office needs an overhaul.    You’d think the owners would have moved decisively to address it.   

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

How long do you think is a reasonable time to conduct the search? Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they begun their search the day they fired Duquette (0/3) It's ludicrous if they just started on that date, but let's just start there for argument sake. In three days it will be a month. All but the playoff teams were done by then so any candidate under consideration should have been interviewed already. Unless the Orioles were waiting on a Boston/Los Angeles candidate, the candidate should have already been interviewed by now. 

So in your mind, since you think the Orioles are going about this the right way, when does your patience run out on the process and you start to have concerns?

This process should have started around the ASB at the latest.  At that point they should have realized that DD and Buck were not going to be retained and they should have very quietly started compiling their short list of candidates for President.  Then engage industry consultants to narrow the list, prepare an interview panel, etc.  Perhaps that is why they were talking to Colletti.

I can understand not wanting to fire DD and Buck during the season but doesn't mean a confidential search could not have begun.

Archived