When will the Orioles Announce hirings?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

The following are my current favorite GM candidates, but I'd love to get everyone's thoughts on who they'd like, and why:

Jason McLeod, SVP of Player Development/Scouting, Cubs
Yet another Epstein disciple, McLeod has been part of the Cubs' brain trust since November 2011 as the club's senior VP of player development and amateur scouting. McLeod has been considered a future GM for a few years, though he signed an extension with the Cubs that runs through 2021. During his time in Chicago, he's overseen the selection of first-rounders Albert Almora Jr., Kris Bryant and Kyle Schwarber in consecutive years.

Jared Porter, Assistant GM, D'backs
As part of the Theo Epstein tree that has produced a wealth of front-office talent, Porter has been a part of four World Series championship clubs with the Red Sox and Cubs. Porter joined Diamondbacks GM Mike Hazen (another Epstein disciple) in Arizona in November 2016, taking over as the D-backs' senior vice president and assistant GM. Porter is well-respected among scouts, coaches and player development folks, his experience in several areas making him an ideal GM candidate.

Amiel Sawdaye, Senior Vice President & Assistant General Manager, D'Backs
The 41-year old Baltimore native graduated from the University of Maryland in 1999 with a degree in decisions information systems and has an affinity for analytics.  He currently oversees the D'Backs' amateur and international scouting and assists GM Mike Hazen on all facets of baseball operations. He is a former Red Sox Vice President of International and Amateur Scouting and drafted such talent as include Jackie Bradley Jr., Mookie Betts, and Andrew Benintendi, and was part of three world championship teams during his tenure. Here's an in-depth interview, wherein he discusses a multitude of job-related topics: 

Chaim Bloom, Senior Vice President of Baseball Operations, Rays
A finalist for GM openings in Milwaukee and Philadelphia, Bloom has established a stellar reputation during his 13-year run with Tampa Bay. When Andrew Friedman left for Los Angeles in 2014, Bloom was promoted to the Rays' VP of baseball operations, adding the senior VP title in '16. Erik Neander holds the GM title, though the duo works in concert when it comes to the club. For Bloom, the opportunity to run his own team -- especially a big-market club in close proximity to his native Philly -- would be an interesting possibility.

Tim Naehring, VP of Baseball Operations, Yankees
One of Brian Cashman's most trusted lieutenants, Naehring has developed a reputation as one of the best talent evaluators in the game. The former Red Sox infielder would join Jerry Dipoto as the only former big league players in a GM position, though it remains to be seen whether Naehring would even be interested in leaving the Bronx after spending more than a decade working for Cashman.

Sawdaye and Bloom look like they should be the top candidates based on what the O's need.  The O's need to become the best team or at least  one of the best teams in the majors at finding and developing talent.  The O's will never compete with the Yankees and Red Sox on payroll.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

What else did the article say?  I'm not subscribing to the Sun to read anything.

Not much regarding Cherington, but it’s interesting that Cherington has apparently pulled himself from the running for the Mets and Giants jobs so either he’s content staying or he has some other team in mind. He’s said he wants to build a team from the ground up. 

I like Cherington for multiple reasons,

- Would be awesome just to stick it to Toronto after what they did to us in the 2014-2015 offseason. Not even going to lie. 

- Knows how things work in the AL East

- The guy was the wonderkid and “failed” once. You learn from your mistakes. 

Roch mentions Royals ,Scott Sharp who is a Sykesville,MD native.Went to GW. Was a scout for eight seasons. Then Assistant Director of Player Development.. Then became Director. of Minor League Operations. Then Director of Player Development. Now he is Vice President/Assistant General Manager.12 seasons with the Royals.

He  grew up not far from Baltimore, wore No. 8 in Little League to emulate Cal Ripken Jr., and has many fond memories of his days as a die-hard Orioles fan.

But if Scott Sharp makes it to Camden Yards for the American League Championship Series, he won't be wearing a speck of orange or black. Those colors faded long ago for the Sykesville native.

Sharp lives in Lee's Summit, Mo., with his wife and two sons, but other members of his family remain closely tied to Baltimore. Sharp said his mother attended Game 1 of the Orioles' division series against the Detroit Tigers, and she has plans to be at Camden Yards to see her favorite team take on the Royals.

Of course, she'll be rooting for her son's ballclub as well.

"She follows both teams pretty closely," said Sharp, adding that his mom might cut her Orioles and Royals T-shirts in half and sew them together to wear during the series.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/ph-cc-sp-royals-sharp-1009-20141008-17-story.html

9 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Article said Orioles have already made overtures to Cherington to gauge interest earlier this year.  

This guy looks good and drafting success is huge imo

14 big leaguers in a 3 year span. If he got anywhere near that it would be huge towards the rebuild 

Dan Kantrovitz

An emerging name thanks to the success of the Athletics this year, Kantrovitz, Oakland's assistant GM, has a hand in everything from free agency to amateur scouting for the savvy A's. While he does all that with an analytical bent in Oakland, he was the scouting director in St. Louis from 2012 to 2014 as the Cardinals drafted 14 big leaguers in that span, including Michael WachaStephen Piscotty and Jack Flaherty.

Archived