When will the Orioles Announce hirings?

Bahama O's Fan

3 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

If they are having trouble with the interviews there is a guy named Steve that works in that Stadium across the parking lot that has some experience at it.

I believe he may be a little busy researching head coaching candidates right now.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Lee Thomas is still with the O's.  He was a GM with the Phillies for 10 years including the 1993 National League Champs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Thomas_(baseball)

John hired John Vidalin as COO of the Business side of the O's.

https://www.mlb.com/news/veteran-sports-executive-john-vidalin-joins-orioles/c-284061488

Thomas is 82 and hasn't been a GM for over twenty years -- clearly an old-style GM. I had no idea he was still in baseball, let alone with the Orioles, until I saw his name on the front-office list a week or two ago (and then forgot it). I don't recall any reference to any role he's had with the team since he was hired in 2011. But if he's active and the AngelBros call on him, he might be helpful. 

The Vidalin hire is different from the President search. He's not a baseball guy, apparently has never worked in MLB, and will have nothing to do with rebuilding this woeful team. I have no idea whether it was a good hire or what the process was that led to it. But again I agree that the experience might be helpful to John Angelos as he and his brother try to figure out how to attract, interview and hire a President.

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

Whom has John Angelos interviewed and hired (or decided not to hire after interviewing) during those 19 years? Anyone with anything close to the baseball knowledge, experience, intelligence and talent of, and whose job would have the importance of, the people whose names are being tossed around like Colletti, Ng and Cherington? I don't know the answer, but I am guessing it's zero or pretty close to that. I'm a little more sure, but again don't know, that the answer to that question is zero when it's asked about Lou Angelos.

I'd be glad to be wrong, and if I am I wish someone would let me know. From my perspective, rodeo experience doesn't count. ?

So you are assuming that John Angelos was not involved in the multiple GM and manager hires since 1999? I think it is strange to assume that he was not intimately involved in hires as an executive vice president for 20 years and son of the owner. 

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

Thomas is 82 and hasn't been a GM for over twenty years -- clearly an old-style GM. I had no idea he was still in baseball, let alone with the Orioles, until I saw his name on the front-office list a week or two ago (and then forgot it). I don't recall any reference to any role he's had with the team since he was hired in 2011. But if he's active and the AngelBros call on him, he might be helpful. 

The Vidalin hire is different from the President search. He's not a baseball guy, apparently has never worked in MLB, and will have nothing to do with rebuilding this woeful team. I have no idea whether it was a good hire or what the process was that led to it. But again I agree that the experience might be helpful to John Angelos as he and his brother try to figure out how to attract, interview and hire a President.

Thomas certainly understands the duties of a President and GM in the MLB.  He has attended GM meeting under the Duquette tenure.   I am sure Dan  consulted him on baseball matters.   I am not saying he should be the guy to pick the manager of Analytics.   But I think he understand MLB organization structures.   I have no idea with the Brothers are talking to him but I have not heard that he has been let go.

Its kind of like asking is Pat Gillick could advise on MLB baseball structure.   He is 81and an advisor to Andy MacPhail of the Phillies.

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Thomas certainly understands the duties of a President and GM in the MLB.  He has attended GM meeting under the Duquette tenure.   I am sure Dan  consulted him on baseball matters.   I am not saying he should be the guy to pick the manager of Analytics.   But I think he understand MLB organization structures.   I have no idea with the Brothers are talking to him but I have not heard that he has been let go.

Its kind of like asking is Pat Gillick could advise on MLB baseball structure.   He is 81and an advisor to Andy MacPhail of the Phillies.

I think there's a big difference between Lee Thomas and Pat Gillick (a Hall of Famer) who, I think, has remained active with the Phillies since his retirement in 2008. But I agree that Thomas might be helpful, and I hope he is.

I think this started when I compared the personnel of the Orioles to that of the Mets, who (according to media reports) involved Special Assistant GMs, and former GMs, Omar Minaya and J.P. Ricciardi in their GM search. (In fact, it was reported that the Wilpons' trust in and desire to retain both might impede their search for a new GM, and maybe it did.)

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

I think there's a big difference between Lee Thomas and Pat Gillick (a Hall of Famer) who, I think, has remained active with the Phillies since his retirement in 2008. But I agree that Thomas might be helpful, and I hope he is.

I think this started when I compared the personnel of the Orioles to that of the Mets, who (according to media reports) involved Special Assistant GMs, and former GMs, Omar Minaya and J.P. Ricciardi in their GM search. (In fact, it was reported that the Wilpons' trust in and desire to retain both might impede their search for a new GM, and maybe it did.)

I've seen Lee Thomas everywhere I've gone over the last few years. 

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

So you are assuming that John Angelos was not involved in the multiple GM and manager hires since 1999? I think it is strange to assume that he was not intimately involved in hires as an executive vice president for 20 years and son of the owner. 

I've tried to find a source one way or another if he was involved and his name isn't mentioned.  Like you, I assume he was, but I can't say that for certain.  We do know Buck was involved in the GM interviews.

10 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Lee Thomas was brought in by Duquette as his main advisor, so I doubt he's going to be sticking around much longer.  The biggest role they've mentioned for him is that he was always part of the Winter Meetings contingent and helped in the initial conversation stages on some items.  

On 10/30/2018 at 10:29 AM, Moose Milligan said:

I dunno if this one has been posted yet:

In regards to the Angelos Brothers not having done interviews before...possible.  But just jump in, figure it out along the way.   I'm not a Brady fan or a Brady defender, but this might actually be a case where it's good to have Brady on board to help judge who good candidates are.  Having a "baseball guy" here might be key for rookie owners making a hiring decision.

And if Bordick is the manager, I will pee on the Warehouse.  And the thing is I kinda LIKE Bordick, it's not that I don't like him.  Yeah, he's boring on the broadcasts but he cares and has gotten better.  But I just can't see him being a good manager...and that's coming from someone who thinks managing is overrated.  

If only the Angelos brothers had some connections with a law firm.  It seems like that would be a good connection that would help with interviews.  If Colletti is GM and Bordick is manager I'm going to vomit.

Archived