When will the Orioles Announce hirings?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would certainly hope they have their LISTS for both positions filled with 4,5, or more candidates.  Mybe they've even set up some interviews.

However, I HOPE (EXPECT) these lists contain at least a few people currently involved in the playoff runs of the Indians, Astros, A's, Red Sox, or other clubs, so a hire may not be likely or possible at all until after the World Series.

Waiting...

10 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

You think they have someone lined up or will this be going on for a while?

I would expect they will interview 3 or 4 people at least.   I could see it taking 3 to 4 weeks.  

The MLB GM meetings are Nov 6-8.   

The Giants are conducting a GM search and they seem to think theirs could take a month or more:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/10/03/how-long-will-it-take-the-giants-to-hire-a-new-general-manager/

They have someone lined up.  

The press release says that "he or she will have complete authority........." 

The Orioles interviewed Ned Colletti months ago in what were thought to be for Duquette's job, but other than figuring out that it wasn't for that job, no one reported otherwise. 

Kim Ng worked as an executive for the Dodgers as VP and Assistant GM in 2001.  In 2005 she interviewed for GM, which ultimately went to Coletti.  He kept her on as Assistant GM until she left to work for MLB under Joe Torre.  She's worked for Brian Cashman and Ron Schueler previously. 

So Kim Ng is probably a serious candidate, if not probably the front runner for the job at this point. 

They probably have someone lined up but should go through an interview process for each job to show they are seeking the best candidate. They may interview someone who wows them and makes them reconsider their original first choice.  The former Dodgers GM Ned Coletti age 64 may replace DD. He has already met with them earlier this year. He is currently Senior Adviser to the President of the Los Angeles Dodgers and either Bordick or someone like Molitor or  Ausmus could replace Buck. If Colletti is hired will he bring someone currently with the Dodgers.  Pitching Coach for 12 years with the Dodgers Rick Honeycutt could be his manager choice to come and try to straighten out our pitching problems?  It was announced tonight Director of Player Development Brian Graham will oversee operations while the team conducts a search for an outside hire. Tonight's press release says the new GM will come from outside the organization. Dan O'Dowd former Rockies GM and currently on MLB Network is another possibility.

Whoever the new GM is, that person better have a plan ready to implement with a capable group for acquiring and developing international talent.  

I look at why the Braves finally made their jump - look at their lineup - Albies at 2nd base, Camargo at 3rd base, and... Ronald Acuna in the OF.  All signed for chump change.  

49 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

The Orioles interviewed Ned Colletti months ago in what were thought to be for Duquette's job, but other than figuring out that it wasn't for that job, no one reported otherwise. 

Kim Ng worked as an executive for the Dodgers as VP and Assistant GM in 2001.  In 2005 she interviewed for GM, which ultimately went to Coletti.  He kept her on as Assistant GM until she left to work for MLB under Joe Torre.  She's worked for Brian Cashman and Ron Schueler previously. 

So Kim Ng is probably a serious candidate, if not probably the front runner for the job at this point. 

Thank you. Kim would be a terrific pic on many levels.

58 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Just curious as to why you think Ng is the front runner? She hasn't worked for a team in like 7 years, working for MLB. Her name has been floated around for years, but she's never been hired. Is it the press release statement? I think you pretty much need to say "he or she" in 2018.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Just curious as to why you think Ng is the front runner? She hasn't worked for a team in like 7 years, working for MLB. Her name has been floated around for years, but she's never been hired. Is it the press release statement? I think you pretty much need to say "he or she" in 2018.

But why say "he or she" when there aren't any female executives around that would have the resume for that position?  I could be reading into it, but I have a great sense of intuition and a lot of circumstantial things just added up for me. 

Just now, ThomasTomasz said:

But why say "he or she" when there aren't any female executives around that would have the resume for that position?  I could be reading into it, but I have a great sense of intuition and a lot of circumstantial things just added up for me. 

I just think in this day and age, not saying "He or She" is asking for trouble. I'm not saying she wouldn't be a consideration, but I certainly don't think she is a front runner based on the press release statement. If anything, she's been linked to the Mets, but so has an Agent (Casey Close) so who knows what to believe anymore.

1 hour ago, Oriol3s said:

I would certainly hope they have their LISTS for both positions filled with 4,5, or more candidates.  Mybe they've even set up some interviews.

However, I HOPE (EXPECT) these lists contain at least a few people currently involved in the playoff runs of the Indians, Astros, A's, Red Sox, or other clubs, so a hire may not be likely or possible at all until after the World Series.

Waiting...

I would hope they only have one list. That of the persons interviewing for the Executive management position. That person can put together a list of who he or she wishes to speak with. 

8 hours ago, Oriol3s said:

Waiting...

I always thought Tampa Bay had the one of the best -run organizations in MLB. Playing in the AL East, they won 90 games this year  with a payroll of about $70MM.   

I don't know how they do it year-in-year-out but I wish we could raid their F.O. of a couple key pieces to find out.

Archived