Time to give the Angelos boys some credit

Diehard_O's_Fan

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

I love what we are doing here, but can you stop pretending that AM didn’t do a great job, that DD didn’t give us some damn good years, and that Showalter didn’t help to bring credibility back to this organization.  People are acting like this team was run the past few years like the old Indians.

Andy brought the team out of the worst place, and set things up for a modern GM like Duquette to succeed in a way beyond most fans wildest expectations. Buck was a gift. We were very fortunate to have all three of these men when the Orioles could easily have become the Pilots. 

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It only matters if they stay out and don't meddle.

I'm really excited to have Elias as the guy and I give the Angeloses credit for an awesome decision.  Yet I feel the jury is still out on them overall.  They have to now demonstrate that they are going to let their choice run the show and just back out and let him work.  If the meddling continues I don't think it matters who they've hired.

Every owner meddles...to a degree.  The Lerners shot down a trade for Harper, and all that they may get for it is a comp pick.  ManNY has to be cross-examined by the Steinbrenners.   25 years of Peter in charge has created justifiable cynicism, but he's handed the team over.  I am hopeful that the AngelosBros will do what they say since they actually put it in a formal press release for all to see.   

23 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I'm really excited to have Elias as the guy and I give the Angeloses credit for an awesome decision.  Yet I feel the jury is still out on them overall.  They have to now demonstrate that they are going to let their choice run the show and just back out and let him work.  If the meddling continues I don't think it matters who they've hired.

Just a question. When have John and Lou meddled to your knowledge? 

9 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I'm pleased with this hire.  They could have hired some retread like Ned Coletti--that's what many were predicting a month ago.    Instead they took a chance on a young person from an outstanding organization who seems to have progressive ideas on how to run a club.  

I had emotionally prepared myself for Colletti to be named Prez, Brady the GM and then spend too much money on Girardi because he used to be a Yankee and that means he'll make us better (right?). 

Seeing this move deserves kudos. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It will be interesting to see what the Angelos brothers say at Monday’s presser, and whether the press will ask them any questions.  

I suspect that once Elias is introduced and the photo op is done they’ll get off the stage. They should anyway...

Now that PA is officially out of the picture, I wonder if any of the local media will bring up the Chris Davis situation. That’s what I want to know about. I think I already have a general sense as to how Elias thinks about things otherwise. 

On 11/17/2018 at 5:57 AM, baltfan said:

I love what we are doing here, but can you stop pretending that AM didn’t do a great job, that DD didn’t give us some damn good years, and that Showalter didn’t help to bring credibility back to this organization.  People are acting like this team was run the past few years like the old Indians.

What does this have to do with my post? Bizarre. 

On 11/17/2018 at 8:01 AM, weams said:

Andy brought the team out of the worst place, and set things up for a modern GM like Duquette to succeed in a way beyond most fans wildest expectations. Buck was a gift. We were very fortunate to have all three of these men when the Orioles could easily have become the Pilots. 

Yep. It kind of feels like we did this re-set with MacPhail and then old Peter habits kicked in when the fruit of the AM work was bearing. Hopefully the AngelBros can avoid the same mistake. In a lot of ways, Angelos let AM do his job and that's where we reaped the most benefit. Yet, this also does feel different. Hopefully Elias can a do a complete organizational overhaul that I don't think has been allowed to be done. 

Should they get credit for a being party to a situation that's pretty much rock bottom for a once-proud franchise? 

These are moves they should have been making YEARS ago. 

I need to see what they actually do in terms of redistribution of team finances toward drafting, scouting, development and maintenance of the minor league affiliates. 

Then, we need to see if they allow for an organizational philosophy to gel from single A to AAA to the main squad. 

Finally, we need to see if they allow Mr. Elias to DO HIS JOB. Hiring coaches, trainers, scouts, etc. 

I give Mr. Elias ALL the leeway in the world considering the situation he's stepped into. Criticizing him 48 hours or so after the team announcement makes absolutely zero sense. 

MSK 

Archived