Rumors and News

oriolediehard

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, I think it’s a higher priority to get his key front office guys into place.   The manager really has nothing to do until February.   We could hire one in January for all I care.   

Well the manager has to hire all the coaches. Plus the minor league staff has to be sorted out as well. No reason you can't work on hiring the manager the same time  you are sorting out the front office.  

4 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Could be more to the Kinsler buzz reported earlier?

I will be extremely disappointed if one of Elias’ first moves is to sign a 37 year old second baseman. Well, I’ll be extremely disappointed if it’s a move at all. A terrible move for 2019 Orioles. 

16 minutes ago, atomic said:

Well the manager has to hire all the coaches. Plus the minor league staff has to be sorted out as well. No reason you can't work on hiring the manager the same time  you are sorting out the front office.  

I do think Elias is working on several things at once.   But he more or less said at the presser that he was in no rush to name a manager.   

Is anyone else surprised Mike Elias has not named a manager yet?  It would be to his advantage to have our manager as part of his entourage going to the Winter Meetings at the Mandalay in Vegas December 10 - 13th. Does he think by waiting this decision out their price will come down?  If he wants someone with experience the closer he gets to spring training in February the more likely for that to happen.  Maybe he prefers to go to the meetings with only people he is close with.

The available high price guys like Girardi 4 mill and Scioscia 6 mill were in that 4 million+ category. Buck to the surprise of many was reported to have made $4 mill last season. PA paid him well. I don't see either of them getting this job.  Long, long shot Girardi. It's interesting several times in the last few weeks when this manager subject has come up on talk radio stations in town Girardi's name has come up. Overwhelmingly he has had at least a half dozen callers and the announcers support this idea.  Mainly because of his AL East experience. He still lives in NY. They say he has been holding out for the Cubs job assuming Joe Maddon will not be extended after this season or he might be fired. Is it worth the gamble? The Cubs are ready to make a big splash again with some free agent signings and possible trades. If the Cubs return to the playoffs Maddon will probably be extended.

For 2018;

5 highest paid managers

Three managers lead the list with salaries of $6 million a season: Former Los Angeles Angels' Mike Scioscia, the Chicago Cubs' Joe Maddon and the San Francisco Giants' Bruce Bochy.

The Cleveland Indians' Terry Francona ($4 million) and former Baltimore Orioles' manager Buck Showalter ($4 million) round out the Top 5 on the list.

Lowest paid managers

Interim Cincinnati Reds manager Jim Riggleman and interim St. Louis Cardinals manager Mike Shildt each made a prorated $700,00 with their teams, making them the lowest paid managers in baseball.

Boston Red Sox manager Alex Cora, Seattle Mariners managers Scott Servais and Atlanta Braves manger Brian Snitker are right above them on the list at $800,000.

Source USA Today

Girardi turned 54 in October. Will Elias go with a veteran or first time manager? Maybe he will shed some light on this subject on the 105.7 Hot Stove show tonight from 6-7 PM.

Will the fans be more understanding of our losses the next two years with a new GM and rookie manager or a veteran manager?

I’m not sure the manager is all that important in 2019. The Orioles need to get the first pick in the 2020 draft so they need to lose a lot of games. They need to develop some players, but I suspect Elias and crew have a short list of people they think can do the job. 

3 hours ago, section18 said:

It would be to his advantage to have our manager as part of his entourage going to the Winter Meetings at the Mandalay in Vegas December 10 - 13th.

Why? The Orioles are not going to be trying to whoo top free agents. 

32 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I say if Schoop is non-tendered we go after him with a high incentive based one year deal. If he puts it back together then we can flip him again in July for more prospects.

The Orioles need to keep their payroll down and invest money in infrastructure,  international signings, etc. They need to put the former Oriole and middling free agent crack pipes down and move on with their lives. 

20 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I’m not sure the manager is all that important in 2019. The Orioles need to get the first pick in the 2020 draft so they need to lose a lot of games. They need to develop some players, but I suspect Elias and crew have a short list of people they think can do the job. 

Exactly.  When you are coming off a 115 lose season and if you lose less than 100 games in 2019 would be considered a great season, the manager really doesn't matter the next few years.  They need a manager and coaching staff that can emotionally handle losing a lot of games while focusing on developing players who work cheap. 

3 hours ago, section18 said:

Is anyone else surprised Mike Elias has not named a manager yet? 

No.  Not at all.  It's on the list of things to do and I expect they are working on it, but no rush.  Most important thing is that it's someone who will be outstanding at relaying the Front Offices message to players especially the young ones.

11 minutes ago, foxfield said:

No.  Not at all.  It's on the list of things to do and I expect they are working on it, but no rush.  Most important thing is that it's someone who will be outstanding at relaying the Front Offices message to players especially the young ones.

Yeah, as long as he gets a guy before spring training basically. He has a TON of people to hire. 

Archived