Rumors and News

oriolediehard

3 hours ago, section18 said:

Is anyone else surprised Mike Elias has not named a manager yet?  It would be to his advantage to have our manager as part of his entourage going to the Winter Meetings at the Mandalay in Vegas December 10 - 13th. Does he think by waiting this decision out their price will come down?  If he wants someone with experience the closer he gets to spring training in February the more likely for that to happen.  Maybe he prefers to go to the meetings with only people he is close with.

The available high price guys like Girardi 4 mill and Scioscia 6 mill were in that 4 million+ category. Buck to the surprise of many was reported to have made $4 mill last season. PA paid him well. I don't see either of them getting this job.  Long, long shot Girardi. It's interesting several times in the last few weeks when this manager subject has come up on talk radio stations in town Girardi's name has come up. Overwhelmingly he has had at least a half dozen callers and the announcers support this idea.  Mainly because of his AL East experience. He still lives in NY. They say he has been holding out for the Cubs job assuming Joe Maddon will not be extended after this season or he might be fired. Is it worth the gamble? The Cubs are ready to make a big splash again with some free agent signings and possible trades. If the Cubs return to the playoffs Maddon will probably be extended.

I want Elias making personnel decisions, not the manager, so I really don't see this as a problem. I'd also rather see him assess the team and get the lay of the land first rather than rush into hiring someone. Spring Training's still a long way away. There's plenty of time to hire a competent manager. 

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I want Elias making personnel decisions, not the manager, so I really don't see this as a problem. I'd also rather see him assess the team and get the lay of the land first rather than rush into hiring someone. Spring Training's still a long way away. There's plenty of time to hire a competent manager. 

I must say, I agree. This hire is not an important one for me. 

If they couldn't afford to pay the international players their signing bonuses I see no reason to pay a manager over a million dollars a year.  Good players are going to make a bigger difference in the long run.  We just need someone who is good at working on teaching players.  Not some guy who is good at talking to the press. 

54 minutes ago, atomic said:

If they couldn't afford to pay the international players their signing bonuses I see no reason to pay a manager over a million dollars a year.  Good players are going to make a bigger difference in the long run.  We just need someone who is good at working on teaching players.  Not some guy who is good at talking to the press. 

They couldn't?  Afford? OR they did not want to commit that amount under a lame duck situation?

My point is players usually consider who the manager is when making their decision to sign with a team when they are a free agent. We are known to be talking to a few free agents. Their agents will probably be at the meetings in December. Not just the high priced but even the low priced.  I think Elias was clear about not signing long term big contracts with FA's.  He also seemed to indicate he prefers experience with his manager. There are some experienced managers who worked surprisingly for low salaries last year. Will we get a cheap experienced manager or will he go for a more expensive experienced manager? That is the question.  I don't think he will choose someone who has not managed before after more consideration.  This can be used against him down the road if the team doesn't show improvement the next few years. There are some very capable manager candidates out there who have not managed. There are also some very capable candidates with experience. I think he will choose the latter.

6 minutes ago, section18 said:

My point is players usually consider who the manager is when making their decision to sign with a team when they are a free agent. We are known to be talking to a few free agents. Their agents will probably be at the meetings in December. Not just the high priced but even the low priced.  I think Elias was clear about not signing long term big contracts with FA's.  He also seemed to indicate he prefers experience with his manager. There are some experienced managers who worked surprisingly for low salaries last year. Will we get a cheap experienced manager or will he go for a more expensive experienced manager? That is the question.  I don't think he will choose someone who has not managed before after more consideration.  This can be used against him down the road if the team doesn't show improvement the next few years. There are some very capable manager candidates out there who have not managed. There are also some very capable candidates with experience. I think he will choose the latter.

I believe someone else already made this point/asked this question, but do you really expect the Orioles to be very active in the free agent market this year? They only players I've heard them possibly linked to are really low level guys like Ian Kinsler who I really don't think they're going to have to woo. I think they're more likely to be active in the trade market, but that's a whole different thing and falls squarely on the GM not the manager. Again, I really don't think it's a big deal. If they didn't have a GM in place prior to the Winter Meetings it would be a much bigger deal. 

Also "experience" can mean many things. I don't think it's necessarily limited to prior MLB managerial experience.  I really don't see us hiring a high priced manager. It would be a waste of money at this point. Just find someone who won't upset the balance in the clubhouse and who can help the younger players grow. That's what we need the most at this point. It's more important than wins or losses. 

I don't think the O's are going to not hire someone they really want because they cost a few hundred k more than the "cheap" options. If you think the manager is the best for developing players, pushing institutional changes, etc., then I don't see salary being a realistic barrier for the kind of hire the O's are likely to make. Plus, the Orioles are going to save a lot of money in the managers salary.  

I don't agree with all of these, but I'd rather see us hire one of the up and comers as opposed to a retread. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-next-wave-future-managers-mlb-170555905.html

Sam Fuld

The major league player information coordinator for the Philadelphia Phillies, Fuld last played in 2015 and retired in 2017. His job under Gabe Kapler is described thusly: “Integrate the use of information in all areas of on-field performance and preparation and make recommendations regarding the most effective areas of future research and analysis.” Sounds like today’s manager.

Jeff Pickler

As Minnesota Twins coach and coordinator of major league development, Pickler, 42, according to his team biography, “Oversees outfield instruction, advises all coaches and players on game preparation and strategy, and coordinates communications between the major leagues and player development.”

Brian Bannister

After pitching five seasons in the major leagues for the Kansas City Royals and New York Mets, Bannister, 37, joined the Boston Red Sox as a scout and analyst before moving to the coaching staff. He possesses one of the brightest pitching minds in the game. His title: Vice President, pitching development and assistant pitching coach.

Josh Bard

The New York Yankees hired a rookie manager (Aaron Boone) and, in a move that reflected their regard for Bard, made him Boone’s bench coach. Previously, he was with the Los Angeles Dodgers, where he advanced from special assistant to the general manager to pro scout to bullpen coach. Bard caught in the big leagues for a decade.

Brandon Hyde

After three seasons as first base coach for the Chicago Cubs (and a time as the club’s farm director), Hyde replaced Davey Martinez as Maddon’s bench coach. He managed for five seasons in the minor leagues for the then-Florida Marlins.

Raul Ibanez

Ibanez, 46, has been a popular candidate for previous managerial openings. He was a finalist for the Rays job when Maddon left for Chicago and has been on several other short lists, including those in New York and Philadelphia. Currently serves the Dodgers as special assistant to the general manager.

Michael Young

The special assistant to Texas Rangers general manager Jon Daniels, Young was a smart and productive player and respected clubhouse leader over 14 major league seasons. His transition to manager’s office would be a natural.

Eric Chavez

The hot name to replace Scioscia in Anaheim. Chavez, general manager Billy Eppler’s special assistant for three years, this week was named manager of the Angels’ Triple-A affiliate in Salt Lake City. Chavez had not coached or managed previously, though is regarded as an Eppler favorite.

Chase Utley

He’s retiring at the end of the season in order to spend more time with his wife and two sons. Also, presumably, because he’ll be 40 in December. Fellow players do not like to disappoint Chase Utley, which is a good quality to have in a manager.

Torii Hunter

Just about everybody’s favorite teammate over a 19-year big-league career, the charismatic Hunter is a natural leader. He hinted at the All-Star Game, where he served as Futures Game manager, he might require minor-league seasoning, but probably could be talked out of that.

Carlos Beltran

Beltran, 41, was one of six candidates to replace Joe Girardi in New York. He provided effortless leadership across a 20-year career and will manage somewhere, some day.

Rob Thomson

The Phillies bench coach has done it all, and done it with grace and energy. Was a Yankee for nearly three decades, 10 years as third-base and bench coach in the major leagues. Also, he managed in the minor leagues and was the club’s farm director.

Josh Paul

The former catcher is Scioscia’s bench coach. Paul, 43, was previously minor league catching coordinator and a minor league manager for the Yankees. He got some love during the Yankees’ search that ended with them hiring Boone.

Mike Lowell

Lowell, 44, is one of those respected former players most believe would make a great manager, soon as he decides to be one. He is an analyst on MLB Network. He spent a few days in Red Sox camp this spring and said recently he could see managing in his future.

Mark DeRosa

DeRosa interviewed with the New York Mets, was rumored to be Cubs bench coach candidate and was endorsed by Mark Teixeira for the Yankees job. While he lacks coaching experience, leaders are leaders. The personable DeRosa is one of those.

28 minutes ago, section18 said:

Would Paul Molitor fit our manager qualifications?  It's hard to find his last salary with the Twins but it's believed he made 1.3 million last season. I don't think he has been hired by anyone so far.

Not trying to be a jerk, but you seem to just be throwing names at the wall. Girardi, Molitor, etc. I strongly suspect the manager will be someone that Elias has crossed paths with in the Cardinals or Astros organization, will be relatively young with an emphasis on "modern" communication skills and the like. I don't know much about Molitor as a manager, but he seems like an unlikely fit. When Elias referred to experience I don't think he necessarily meant experience managing a team. I think the person will have to be fully integrated into their process. The Astros fired a manager for not being a team player with their process. The next manager may be a caretaker in some ways, but I suspect Elias will definitely want someone who fully buys into the analytical approach, excels at communicating with players, etc. I think that makes it harder for fans to predict who they will hire or even knowing enough to put together a good list of names. If the O's were on the verge of breaking out, then some of the bigger names would be more likely candidates. This hire may be a relative unknown. 

Everyone has made positive points.  It would seem in any discussions in this country or internationally the name of our manager would be asked of our GM.  If asked who your manager is he would have to say he doesn't have one.  That doesn't seem like the answer others would want to hear from our team representative.

6 minutes ago, section18 said:

Everyone has made positive points.  It would seem in any discussions in this country or internationally the name of our manager would be asked of our GM.  If asked who your manager is he would have to say he doesn't have one.  That doesn't seem like the answer others would want to hear from our team representative.

Good discussion, for sure. Elias might name a new manager in the next two weeks. I'm sure he is working hard on the hire. I think it was mentioned that he provided the Angelos brothers a list of potential candidates when he interviewed. Hiring Mejdal was pretty much preordained (almost sounds like following Elias was the plan). I don't think this will drag on forever. Plus, as has been pointed out already, the Orioles are unlikely to engage in negotiations where the managers identity is that important in the next two weeks or so. I would be surprised if the manager is not named before mid month, 20th at the latest. If it drags past the 20th or so then I would get worried that Elias has bumped into Angelos shenanigans, but I don't think that will happen. 

I believe we are the only team in baseball without a manager. This is not a source of strength for Mike Elias at the moment.

Sort of like opening a new store with all of the shelves not stocked and no manager to run it. Granted he has a  lot of positions to fill but manager should be a priority for him. If not a priority the players who remain on the roster will think our new GM does not think a manager is an important part of the team.  I think he is a very important part of the team.

The Orioles are like a store with a new owner.  The sons are doing a great job so far. They are open for business. Lets hire a manager for our store/team and stock the shelves with other positions as time permits.

Archived