Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

18 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

For a guy with a weak bat. I think #55 is a huge honor on the all-time list of catchers, going back to Druno days of baseball.

He still caught roughly 400 games after he turned 35.

Somewhat weak bat, but not really atrocious for a catcher.    His career OPS+ was 87.    I believe that’s about average for a catcher. Looking at this list, of the guys ahead of him, Tony Pena, Bob Boone and Ray Schalk were all worse hitters than Dempsey.   But without a doubt, Dempsey is on this list for his defense, not his offense.   

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ah, thanks.    Didn’t realize it was a list of catchers, rather than a list of all players.    Top of my head, 55th on the all-time list of catchers doesn’t seem too outrageous for a guy who lasted 23 seasons in the big leagues.

I agree. 

• 2 months later...

Sisco is never going to be an above average defensive catcher. I guess there is a question of can you play him at catcher in a platoon. The answer is yes. I don't think he should catch 120 games no matter how good the bat is.

But, the big question is the bat. If the bat is what we hoped, then the O's can DH him, put him at 1st, put him in the OF. For me, it's all about the bat. That's what I'm concerned about. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

Chance Sisco: Still a good prospect.

Change of leadership doing him good? I always felt like he got caught up in the S*** storm that was last year and there wasn't a lot of space for him to learn as a prospect. He's still young. Honestly the best thing for him may be that Buck and crew are gone. We shall see. Nice to see tho!

Edited by Bubble Buddy

11 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

Change of leadership doing him good? I always felt like he got caught up in the S*** storm that was last year and there wasn't a lot of space for him to learn as a prospect. He's still young. Honestly the best thing for him may be that Buck and crew are gone. We shall see. Nice to see tho!

Yeah, why not? I'm not holding one bad rookie season stint against him that just happened to also be the worst Orioles season in the history of the universe. He can't throw for beans, but maybe Cossins helps him a little.