Elias' Brady comments (Connolly article)

tntoriole

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, weams said:

Singleton, McNally,  and Cuellar  had 30, 25, and 29 WAR compared to Brady's 35. 

Yes and Singleton McNally and Cuellar won WS rings in Baltimore.  Brady was a good player and in terms of WAR perhaps he was move valuable as an individual player.  But I'm pretty sure he didn't win 20 games in one season and a ring.  And while his 50 HR season was magical, my memory isn't of that contributing to a WS.  And as noted above, Bobby Grich was and should be held in higher esteem both here and in baseball.

Of course that is my opinion.  Winning matters.  It seems that's why they keep score.

Just now, tntoriole said:

If he gets compared as equivalent to Dave McNally and Mike Cuellar and Paul Blair, it is a valid question. 

Not really.

I mean, I like you, you're a good poster.  But if there's one thing I can't stand among sports fans these days is the constant dick measuring contest about RINGS >>>>>> everything else when determining the worth of a player.  I think it's more prevalent in football and basketball where people like to invalidate a career like Dan Marino's because he never won a Superbowl.  But it's not Dan Marino's fault that the Dolphins never got him a running game or a defense.  In football and basketball, the individual has more chances to assert his will over the game.  

But let's not pretend that Brady was a reason the Orioles never won a WS while he was here.  That's just a completely bad argument.  

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not really.

I mean, I like you, you're a good poster.  But if there's one thing I can't stand among sports fans these days is the constant dick measuring contest about RINGS >>>>>> everything else when determining the worth of a player.  I think it's more prevalent in football and basketball where people like to invalidate a career like Dan Marino's because he never won a Superbowl.  But it's not Dan Marino's fault that the Dolphins never got him a running game or a defense.  In football and basketball, the individual has more chances to assert his will over the game.  

But let's not pretend that Brady was a reason the Orioles never won a WS while he was here.  That's just a completely bad argument.  

OK, I retract the question.  I will just say that Brady was not as good a baseball player as Dave McNally, Mike Cuellar, or Paul Blair, imho.   The fact that they were part of the core of dynastic World Series teams is irrelevant, I agree. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

OK, I retract the question.  I will just say that Brady was not as good a baseball player as Dave McNally, Mike Cuellar, or Paul Blair, imho.   The fact that they were part of the core of dynastic World Series teams is irrelevant, I agree. 

Or you could just say the Orioles during Brady's time here weren't as good as team building, I think that's more accurate.  

Mike Trout is not valuable because the Angels don't win.

Archived