Elias' Brady comments (Connolly article)

tntoriole

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Notecards actually.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/8859609/legendary-orioles-manager-earl-weaver-was-always-ahead-game

In the eighth inning of Game 1 of the 1979 American League Championship Series, the Angels brought in reliever John Montague. He had been acquired late in the season, so Weaver didn't have a white card on him. So Weaver breathlessly called the press box looking for 20-year-old intern Dr. Charles Steinberg, who was responsible for, among other things, the data for the white cards.

"I don't have Montague!" Earl yelled.

A panicked Steinberg worked quickly to look up the Montague numbers, then gave the white card to Earl's daughter Kim, who was an Oriole BaseBell, a person who, among other duties, helped deliver things, such as soft drinks, during games. She had never delivered a key piece of information to her father during a game. So she rushed down from the press box, through the Orioles clubhouse, where she'd never been allowed, past Jim Palmer, who was wearing only a towel, and into the dugout. Weaver saw it: The guy to use against Montague was John Lowenstein, who was 3-for-4 against him with two homers.

When the spot came up, Lowenstein pinch hit, and he hit a three-run homer to win the game.

14 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I was 10 and at that game.  There were a few that summer that were walk offs like that, but the upper deck was shaking with everyone jumping up and down.  What a great memory!  Still get chills thinking about it.  The next day was just as fun.  Got out of school for that one.  I was convinced we were going to win the WS that season.  Almost...

Archived