Elias' Brady comments (Connolly article)

tntoriole

12 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

The Brady obsession is crazy out of control on the board. Seriously. Some of you guys should take a week break from posting about Brady. Take a deep breath and just walk away. ?

I admit, I have this same sentiment about Roch sometimes. It seems that he and Brady are two of the most persecuted people on this board. And for the life of me, I don't understand it in either case.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Orange in my Veins said:

Well put. I’d also like to add that having household oriole names could sell some seats at the park in a known upcoming losing season which we need to sell whatever we can sell. 

Brady doesn’t come off as incompetent as well. He was the most progressive out of all the former guys which is why he may still be here. Those other guys that supposedly “were the problem”, didn’t do their job like people that were willing to adapt. They were very old school, wether they were forced into that I have no say but a breath of fresh air was needed to revitalize this team, maybe they feel like Brady can breathe that fresh air too, whereas Duquette (etc) were stuck in their ways way too deep. Just my thoughts on that 

Yeah, I would love to hear Dan’s thoughts on how things went down, but he probably has a no disclosure clause from the old lawyer.  And maybe Sig could develop a formula to know how many seats having  Brady Anderson around sells in 2019.   Brady certainly made no mistakes and did wonders for this team apparently for many posters on this board.  We shall see.  

9 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I always wonder if dudes that are only marginally involved with a championship run wear their rings. I’d have to think that they’d wear it to show it off, but then would have to admit their specious claim to greatness to anyone that was curious.

”well I wasn’t actually IN the Super Bowl, you see, but I was on the practice squad...”

”so you were on the bench right?”

”well sort of, our local bar has benches and not bar stools, and I had my jersey on”

I’m sure Matusz and his 18.00 ERA are thrilled to be part of history.

Some players earn rings.  Like Dave McNally for example who some on this board believe Brady Anderson was as good a player as.  Who pitched a complete game shutout against Don Drysdale  in 1966 to win a sweep of the World Series. Who hit a home run in the 1969 World Series in game 5.  Who hit a grand slam and pitched a complete game win in game 3 in the 1970 World Series win.  Who pitched a 3 hitter and another complete game win in the 1971 World Series.   Who won 15 games in a row to start the season and fuel the 1969 AL championship team. 

While I agree that rings are certainly team efforts, Dave McNally was out on that mound by himself pitching complete game shutouts and hitting grand slams in the World Series ...pretty daggone individual efforts right there. 

But, sure, some players don’t earn rings. 

17 minutes ago, Curse of the Bamdino said:

I admit, I have this same sentiment about Roch sometimes. It seems that he and Brady are two of the most persecuted people on this board. And for the life of me, I don't understand it in either case.

Because they lift?

Fans are obsessed with Brady Anderson’s role under Elias when they aren’t obsessing over Chris Davis’ contract.

Anderson remains in the fold as vice president of baseball operations. I’ve been writing that he’s expected to stay in the organization, whatever his title, and nothing has changed. Including his title.

Elias could more clearly define Anderson’s duties with the team. Could highlight his skills at negotiating contracts and creating and implementing workout and nutritional programs. Could tap into his knowledge of hitting and baserunning. But somehow make it seem more ... defined.

2 hours ago, Orange in my Veins said:

This is my point. And wasn’t Ken like bitter towards the orioles or something? It’s kens opinion in his stories as much as he says it’s from “sources”. 

I can see where you could draw the line, I’m not ignorant, but we should stick to the facts and draw from there instead. 

You can blame Rosenthal's bias all you want, but the Orioles have done nothing to define / explain Brady's role over the years so that's completely on them. There's no reason they shouldn't have been transparent about his role unless there was something to hide (i.e., it really wasn't defined).  And several people in this thread are mistakenly using the words competent and qualified in the same context. Brady might be a competent person, but there is no arguing that he is 100% unqualified for the role of Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations. He has no college degree and had very little front office experience at the time he was promoted. Unless you're a savant being smart and competent isn't enough to qualify you for any position, unless of course you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. 

All joking aside the main reason I want Brady out is because I think it's time for a change in philosophy within this organization. Out with the old and in the new should be their motto as they look to rebuild a broken  and flawed developmental system. Heck, you could argue that even the ownership has changed as it's been rumored that the sons are taking a more active role in the running of the team. And if the team is rebuilding the organization from the top down there's no reason Brady should be given a lifeline.

33 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Some players earn rings.  Like Dave McNally for example who some on this board believe Brady Anderson was as good a player as.  Who pitched a complete game shutout against Don Drysdale  in 1966 to win a sweep of the World Series. Who hit a home run in the 1969 World Series in game 5.  Who hit a grand slam and pitched a complete game win in game 3 in the 1970 World Series win.  Who pitched a 3 hitter and another complete game win in the 1971 World Series.   Who won 15 games in a row to start the season and fuel the 1969 AL championship team. 

While I agree that rings are certainly team efforts, Dave McNally was out on that mound by himself pitching complete game shutouts and hitting grand slams in the World Series ...pretty daggone individual efforts right there. 

I loved Dave McNally, and yes, he performed when the chips were down and earned his rings.    But it’s dangerous to judge a player, including pitchers, by whether they won a ring.   I mean, was McNally a better pitcher than Ferguson Jenkins?   Mike Mussina?     His teammates put him in position to do what he did, along with his own contributions.    

Was McNally a better player than Anderson for the Orioles?    It’s apples and oranges, really.   Personally, I’d say no, but it can be argued either way.    

47 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Yeah, I would love to hear Dan’s thoughts on how things went down, but he probably has a no disclosure clause from the old lawyer.  And maybe Sig could develop a formula to know how many seats having  Brady Anderson around sells in 2019.   Brady certainly made no mistakes and did wonders for this team apparently for many posters on this board.  We shall see.  

He definitely made his mistakes. As much as it seems I post for him. Nobody is without their flaws. Im only stating my opinion that his flaws do not define him nor do his mistakes define him. They certainly don’t define him as incompetent

The facts are Brady has made some mistakes and I can understand ones opinion being uneasy over him. The best also make a decent amount of mistakes. I also still think he is beneficial. I think some of the lines drawn are more based on feeling than what is reality. Speculation vs what we have, pre-formed  opinions about Brady. You can think others are more qualified or whatever, it’s not that I don’t get your reasoning, I just view it different. Not wrong or right. I just speak up when I feel like anyone isn’t getting a fair shake especially one of my favorite players. 

45 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

But, sure, some players don’t earn rings. 

Dave was one of my favorite pitchers. 

1 minute ago, bobmc said:

weams does know or alludes to it

I love weams, but don’t believe he has any insider knowledge on this, or that he claims to.    He has stated that Davis doesn’t look as big as he used to.   I don’t know about that.    He’s certainly not hitting like he used to, but I can’t say that lack of strength or strength workouts are the cause.   

Archived