Elias' Brady comments (Connolly article)

tntoriole

36 minutes ago, AZRon said:

As published in the media, here are the "facts" on Brady Anderson's activities while serving as the Orioles's Vice President of Baseball Operations:
Ran "Camp Brady" in the off-season for players in the O's organization (and others)
Coached players on personalized exercise regimens
Coached players on "proper" nutrition
Instrumental in establishing "nutritional menus" for organization-supplied meals
Provided one-on-one batting and base-running coaching to some O's players
Assisted with off-season free-agent recruitment by meeting with "targeted" players

Can anyone provide "facts" that support the notion(s) that any of these activities were undertaken without the direction/approval of Dan Duquette and, where appropriate, Buck Showalter?

You honestly believe Dan or Buck had a say either way? Brady has reported directly to Peter. That's been established already. Brady never answered to Dan.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, AZRon said:

As published in the media, here are the "facts" on Brady Anderson's activities while serving as the Orioles's Vice President of Baseball Operations:
Ran "Camp Brady" in the off-season for players in the O's organization (and others)
Instrumental in establishing "nutritional menus" for organization-supplied meals
Assisted with off-season free-agent recruitment by meeting with "targeted" players

Can anyone provide "facts" that support the notion(s) that any of these activities were undertaken without the direction/approval of Dan Duquette and, where appropriate, Buck Showalter?

Can you provide facts that dispute the claim of former pitching coach Dave Wallace that one of the reasons he left the Orioles was because of Brady's interference with pitchers?

45 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Mike Flanagan did more as an Oriole than Brady. Didn't stop them from throwing him out the door.

He was an Oriole employee the day he took his life. Obviously not on a General Manager's salary. I thought Andy MacPhail was a good call for an organization as poor as the Orioles at that time. 

I'll be the first to admit that I suffer from Angelos Organizational PTSD.  ?

My personal wish is that all of that "cloak and dagger" behind the scenes jockeying that has been part of this organization since it was purchased by Peter ends in favor of a properly run real-life MLB organization.  I'm willing to give credit to John and Lou that they have committed to this reality.  To that end, Brady has to go.  Treat him with respect, wait out his contract,  whatever, but having him around to potentially get in the ear of the Brothers and undermine a new regime is simply dangerous to the whole thing becoming a mess as it has been.  Any lingering "stink" of the old way just has to go, imo. 

I gotta think anyway, that Elias is gonna want his own guys in positions close to him.

What I don't think we will ever know is if Brady is kept around is whether it's due to skill or his close relationship with the Angelosii.

28 minutes ago, MMussina35 said:

Brady thought giving Cobb 4 years was smart. 

Yeah so did everyone on here.  He was pretty good the second half. I expect he will pitch well this year with a full spring training and hopefully a better defense. 

1 hour ago, AZRon said:

Can anyone provide a rationale as to why Brady’s observed services requires him to be a VP?  Wouldn’t Assistant GM reporting directly to Duquette and now Elias be more appropriate?  It would certainly minimize confusion which is generally a good thing in business. 

52 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Can you provide facts that dispute the claim of former pitching coach Dave Wallace that one of the reasons he left the Orioles was because of Brady's interference with pitchers?

I re-read Ken Rosenthal's article linked below (I suspect that it is the "source" for many of the negative opinions of Brady expressed on this message board.
https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/brady-andersons-role-with-orioles-a-topic-of-debate-032017

It's my take (agreeing with other posters here) that, IF, in "fact", Mike Elias has and will have the baseball "autonomy" promised by John Angelos and architects the contemporary organization that we should all hope for, Brady Anderson can be a supportive and contributing member of that new organization. And, that it is totally up to Mike Elias to make that determination and assign (including dismissal) Brady to his most effective role.

14 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

I have 2 thoughts on what's going on with Brady.

First, it's clear Brady Anderson is a talented individual. You don't stick around for as long as he did with an evolving responsibility set if you're not talented. I'll never agree with anybody here that calls him incompetent. Listening to the man speak when he would be on 105.7/1090, it was very clear that not only was Brady a student of the game, but one that started evolving with it. I recall at least a few occasions where he was talking the talk re: sabermetrics. There are players (both former and current) that buy into it, and I think Brady is a sharp enough fellow to have the business smarts and the player smarts to put it together.

I think Brady is a well liked individual because he is certainly capable. I don't take what Elias said about Brady lightly. It wasn't just a one off sentence that provided cover for him. No, it was a slew of sentences praising the capability of him.

Now, to that end...let's look at this from an ownership perspective. Guys like Duquette, Rajsich and Graham...not exactly household names for Orioles fans young and old. However, players like Ripken, Robinson, Palmer and, yes, Brady Anderson...these are all Baltimore household names. We've seen over the years that the club (generally speaking) takes care of its icons. So it's very possible that Elias *may* want to get his own guys (and let Anderson go), but ownership let Elias know how valued Anderson is as a former star for the O's who has put pretty much his entire life into the Orioles as a player and as an executive type. So, it's possible they told Elias to give Brady x number of months, to work out a possible role, but if at the end of that time period it's not working out and/or the role/responsibilities isn't in line with what Elias and Brady want...then to have a proper sendoff instead of letting him go prior to the holidays.

So, yeah. I like Anderson a lot. I also want Elias to hire and run the organization as he deems fit. If we're looking at how things are going now: Duquette gone, Showalter gone, Rajsich gone, Graham gone, Elias hired, Mejdal hired on and new job postings around expanding the analytics department...we're seeing true movement that we really haven't seen before. Yes, Anderson is left, but if we're going to bugaboo the organization/Elias because Anderson is still around...then you're not paying attention and/or you have some form of Angelos PTSD.

I have all the faith in the world of Elias and the Angelos sons are starting to gain my respect, too. And if, say, come April Anderson is still around...maybe people should just accept the fact that Anderson is perhaps a valuable asset regardless of the regime in office.

Fin.

Putting Brady Anderson in the same sentence as Brooks, Frank, Ripken, Palmer as an "icon" is ridiculous, imho. 

14 minutes ago, AZRon said:

I re-read Ken Rosenthal's article linked below (I suspect that it is the "source" for many of the negative opinions of Brady expressed on this message board.
https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/brady-andersons-role-with-orioles-a-topic-of-debate-032017

It's my take (agreeing with other posters here) that, IF, in "fact", Mike Elias has and will have the baseball "autonomy" promised by John Angelos and architects the contemporary organization that we should all hope for, Brady Anderson can be a supportive and contributing member of that new organization. And, that it is totally up to Mike Elias to make that determination and assign (including dismissal) Brady to his most effective role.

Absolutely. Shouldn't be any other way. And I expect we will know what conclusion he's come to when Brady's contract is up. Either he will re-sign him or let him go.

3 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

He is a root of all evil. If he can't follow the chain of command then that's bad.  I think if DD was his boss and Brady went to Peter Angelos behind DD's back. Then he is a back stabber. I don't trust Brady. 

Source? As far as I know that hasn’t happened. The OH has simply speculated things into existence because it fits a narrative.

Archived