O's trade international bonus pool money for SS Drew Jackson

interloper

15 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Perhaps. It was more in his approach at times, than his numbers. Numbers alone don’t make a championship player. They do, however, get paid. But, his big swing and misses at Chris Sale’s offerings in the final at bat of the 2018 World Series will forever make me laugh at his lack of maturity and selfish approach. 

We are getting kind of far afield from the topic, which was about the pluses and minuses of pull hitting, not specifically about Manny Machado.   I’ll just say that Manny has hit slightly better in high-leverage situations that in low or medium leverage situations in his career.    To me he’s clearly a player that helps his team win.   That said, he didn’t have a very good World Series and overall hasn’t hit that well in postseason play (though he had a good NLCS).   

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

You have provided great information in this thread so I don’t mean to be a negative jerk, but you have used one standard deviation from the mean several times in This thread. Being one standard deviation from the mean is statistically  insignificant. Two SD gets you around the “magical” .05 level statistical difference. 

While I’m not a statistics whiz, I’m aware of that and I only mentioned one standard deviation from the mean as a way of demarcating the top or bottom 15ish percent or so of the population, it was relatively arbitrary.

If I was going for robust analysis and wanted to test the significance of these effects, I’d be talking about the how much the wRC+ In my samples varied from the population wRC+, the selection of the sample is just my choice, and whether I say 1 std, or 2 std, or even the top quartile, that just affects sample size. 

The problem with baseball is there is so much noise in the data and so many inputs into something as all incompassing as wRC+ to get true statistical significance. I was mainly pointing out trends, and noted in my initial post that this was a simplistic view of it.

I do have a hypothesis of something I may be able to prove to the level of statistical significance, I’ll look into it tonight.

4 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

While I’m not a statistics whiz, I’m aware of that and I only mentioned one standard deviation from the mean as a way of demarcating the top or bottom 15ish percent or so of the population, it was relatively arbitrary.

If I was going for robust analysis and wanted to test the significance of these effects, I’d be talking about the how much the wRC+ In my samples varied from the population wRC+, the selection of the sample is just my choice, and whether I say 1 std, or 2 std, or even the top quartile, that just affects sample size. 

The problem with baseball is there is so much noise in the data and so many inputs into something as all incompassing as wRC+ to get true statistical significance. I was mainly pointing out trends, and noted in my initial post that this was a simplistic view of it.

I do have a hypothesis of something I may be able to prove to the level of statistical significance, I’ll look into it tonight.

1 stdev is more like top 1/3 or top quarter. (32% right?)

2 stdev is top 5%.  3 (the illustrious 80) is top 0.3% I believe.

I was targeting the part to the right of the pink section when I said greater than one standard deviation above the mean. I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Like I said about 15% for the purpose of a round number, it’s actually 16%.

C948F94E-9085-4B1B-9C01-052024625436.jpeg

On 12/20/2018 at 10:49 AM, Frobby said:

We are getting kind of far afield from the topic, which was about the pluses and minuses of pull hitting, not specifically about Manny Machado.   I’ll just say that Manny has hit slightly better in high-leverage situations that in low or medium leverage situations in his career.    To me he’s clearly a player that helps his team win.   That said, he didn’t have a very good World Series and overall hasn’t hit that well in postseason play (though he had a good NLCS).   

I'd agree. An all parts.

2018 Dodgers

19) Drew Jackson, SS, Grade C+: Age 24, fifth round pick by the Seattle Mariners out of Stanford in 2015, traded to Dodgers in March 2017; hit .247/.358/.402 between High-A and Double-A, 46 walks, 99 strikeouts in 373 at-bats, 21 steals; strong infield tools with cannon arm, plus speed, above-average range; impressive fielder at second base but more erratic at shortstop and third base; will flash some power and draw some walks but hampered with contact problems at times; ETA 2019.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/11/16/16652008/los-angeles-dodgers-top-20-prospects-for-2018

Archived