Nick Markakis

jrobb21613

14 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

If Markakis has no luck finding a multi year deal and is still available late in the offseason what are your thoughts on bringing him in on a one year deal between 10-12 million? He could provide much needed leadership and is a Fan favorite plus it doesn’t hurt that he knows how to get on base. Much rather have Markakis than Jones.

Why on earth would anyone want to bring a player past his prime like Nick and or Rickard? There are minor players that need to play not washed up Veterans or 4A players like Rickard. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Mike E. will be a lot better than DD. He is younger and I believe will have better ideas of how to run a team. IMO 

If Elias had PA instead of the Sons you think he'd have a better chance of implementing stuff than DD? You might need to go back and check PA's interference thru the years.Some of the hot takes on this board are really hard to fathom at times.

9 hours ago, wildcard said:

My guess is that if the O's add an outfielder it will be for about 1/3M.   I don't see them spending 10-12M on any veteran FA.   Hays could be ready by July and  I don't see the  O's blocking him.   

For 1 year 3 million you get a Colby Rasmus.  

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

Why on earth would anyone want to bring a player past his prime like Nick and or Rickard? There are minor players that need to play not washed up Veterans or 4A players like Rickard. 

How is Markakis a washed up veteran?

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

There is a lot to spend money on right now outside of payroll.    Millions of dollars on technology, front office personnel, foreign players etc.    Equally important — and sometimes I think I’m the only one here who believes this — $7-9 mm not spent in 2019 is $7-9 mm that’s available in 2022 or whenever the Orioles are ready to contend.    There’s no law against saving money for the right time.   

You are the only one. Unless Elias has made it clear that he wants that. 

2 hours ago, terphoopsfan said:

If Elias had PA instead of the Sons you think he'd have a better chance of implementing stuff than DD? You might need to go back and check PA's interference thru the years.Some of the hot takes on this board are really hard to fathom at times.

That's what I meant. He won't have Peter's interference. 

3 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Markakis is far from washed up and on a very young team regardless of the projected win loss total there is value that I’m not sure can be measured in dollars in having a guy like kakes in the clubhouse to lead by example, to show a young team what it’s takes day in and day out to be a successful everyday big league ball player for many years to come. He would be great to have not just for his ability to still play the game at a high level but even more important than that to mentor Hays, Stewart, Mullins etc. I’m not sure over the last Decade if there has been an Oriole player whose shown by example what it means to play the Oriole way better than Nick Markakis. I’m not sure I can think of any one veteran player playing Major League Baseball today that I’d rather have a part of a young rebuilding Orioles Team team than Nick Markakis and think there is more value to have a player/mentor like him a part of the team in year one one of the rebuild versus year three. It’s easier to teach good habits than unteach them. While managers and coaches are great there some things that are just better coming from one of your peers that a manager coach as much as they try just can’t teach.

13 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

I tend to agree with you. However do you think that spending 10-12 million on free agent for one year on a veteran that could help us compete provide leadership and have a more formidable big league club , along with possibly drawing a few more fans to the yard this year would hurt the rebuild effort, set it back any?

Yes...it would.  There is the money, the process and a message to be sent...no more feel good, veteran free agent buys that do nothing..we go young, cheap and we change as quickly as possible...buying Nick is old style, prior management thinking.  No, no, no!  

2 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

Markakis is far from washed up and on a very young team regardless of the projected win loss total there is value that I’m not sure can be measured in dollars in having a guy like kakes in the clubhouse to lead by example, to show a young team what it’s takes day in and day out to be a successful everyday big league ball player for many years to come. He would be great to have not just for his ability to still play the game at a high level but even more important than that to mentor Hays, Stewart, Mullins etc. I’m not sure over the last Decade if there has been an Oriole player whose shown by example what it means to play the Oriole way better than Nick Markakis. I’m not sure I can think of any one veteran player playing Major League Baseball today that I’d rather have a part of a young rebuilding Orioles Team team than Nick Markakis and think there is more value to have a player/mentor like him a part of the team in year one one of the rebuild versus year three. It’s easier to teach good habits than unteach them. While managers and coaches are great there some things that are just better coming from one of your peers that a manager coach as much as they try just can’t teach.

I agree with the sentiment.  But I don't think Elias will spend the money on Nick.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If we were two years away, Nick might be a useful addition.   We’re not.  

I think if you look at the young talent we have on the team now and say these are the pieces that are going to be a part of the next winning orioles team than you sign a guy like kakes now, however if you feel that it’s the opposite and that the young young talent to mentor isn’t here yet you wait. However I don’t think we wait to sign veteran leadership until we’re ready to win I think we do it when we have the young players in place and we are really ready to develop and mentor.

Archived