Orioles Hangout Pilot Web TV show

Tony-OH

Just now, wildcard said:

Brit went to the dark side.  Now covering the Nats.

Just now, Frobby said:

Britt G. has gone over to the Dark Side.    (She is covering the Nats for The Athletic now.)

Posted simultaneously.    Great minds think alike (and so do ours).

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, cman.dc said:

I enjoy any orioles discussion and Tony was informative and entertaining. Liked the side story about Diaz and his minor attitude hiccup due to being traded for Manny.

However, Tom was just ok as a complementary side kick - not much insight, just there to setup questions and throw out chessy jokes. Maybe have a female counterpart like Brittany G instead.

Thanks. As for my partner Terry (Not Tom), his role was to set me up and it takes good knowledge of the Orioles and their system to do just that. Personally I think Terry did a great job and he helps keep things lively. We said all along that we didn't want this to be like any other show. We wanted to have fun with it and just let it flow, and if a cheesy joke or two comes out all the better. We wanted our viewers to have fun while maybe learning a thing or two.

Appreciate the feedback though. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Thanks. As for my partner Terry (Not Tom), his role was to set me up and it takes good knowledge of the Orioles and their system to do just that. Personally I think Terry did a great job and he helps keep things lively. We said all along that we didn't want this to be like any other show. We wanted to have fun with it and just let it flow, and if a cheesy joke or two comes out all the better. We wanted our viewers to have fun while maybe learning a thing or two.

Appreciate the feedback though. 

Put it this way, Terry’s questions were way more specific than the kinds of things you hear from Jim Hunter or Tom Davis.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

OK, now for my few criticisms, bearing in mind that my overall grade is A+.

1.    Not enough time was spent on the 11-20 prospects.   To my recollection, the only two who got covered at all were Tate and Adam Hall, nos. 17 and 19 on the list.    Meanwhile, much more time was spent on 21-30, with Wells, Encarnacion, Grenier, Stewart, Carmona and Carroll all getting significant attention.    If there are more episodes to come, I’d love to hear more about the 11-20 guys.

Part of it was we spent a lot longer than we expected doing the top 10. We were hoping to keep that to 30 minutes but we were at 30 minutes after like five prospects.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

2.   Brenan Hanifee was talked up as a 19-year old, but in fact he turned 20 on May 29 and so his baseball age was 20 last year.   He’s still a very good prospect, just not as young as he was made out to be.

Nice catch. That's one of the drawbacks of doing everything off memory with no computer or notes.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

3.    (And now I’m just into personal disagreements.)   Mike Mussina wasn’t a no. 1 starter?    Come on, Tony!    OK, he’s not Randy Johnson or Pedro Martinez and he’s not a first-ballot Hall of Famer.     Still, this is a guy who was in the top 6 for the Cy Young award in 8 different seasons, and will eventually be in the Hall of Fame (maybe even this year).    Any definition of a no. 1 starter that excludes Mussina is too strict for me!

Really it's splitting hairs a bit in my mind. Mussina was a never a number one starter after he left the Orioles. Mussina preferred not having the pressure of being that guy.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

4.    I was a bit surprised at your suggestion that DL Hall was a better prospect at 19 than Dylan Bundy.    That felt like 20/20 hindsight to me.    Hall was very good at Delmarva, but Bundy literally toyed with the hitters there, before pitching well at Frederick and Bowie and even getting a couple major league outings, all before he turned 20.    I’ll accept your critique that Bundy didn’t hold his velocity as well and his fastball is straighter, but he dominated that year and never even used his best pitch.    To me, Bundy’s injuries at age 20 and later have set him back, but if we’re talking solely about who was the better prospect at 19, to me it has to be Bundy.   

All I was saying was if I had to pick one or the other I would pick Hall based off the stuff they both had at the time. Bundy dominated with a fastball-curveball mix, but Hall's fastball has more movement and Hall is already showing an ability to use his change. Plus add in that Hall is left-handed and I would pick him. I could see others picking bundy though because of his pedigree.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

That’s all I’ve got.    As I said, A+ for this show.   Here are a couple of ideas for future episodes;

1.    I’d love to see you and Luke pick out the five prospects you disagree about the most strongly and debate their merits.   By the way, great job giving Luke credit for helping you with the list.   

The problem we have with Luke is that he lives in Virginia so it's tough for him to come up here for the tapings. Saying that, we'd love to find a way to get him to be part of future shows. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

2.    In addition to getting back into the 11-20 guys a little more, it might be nice to spotlight the guys we think will debut in the majors in 2019.

Great stuff, and keep it coming!

Thanks for the thoughts.

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Nice catch. That's one of the drawbacks of doing everything off memory with no computer or notes.

I think the computer screen behind you on the show also said he was 19.    The OH write-up also has him at 19.   http://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/11/06/brenan-hanifee-rhp-2018-10-prospect/

He was 19 for two months into the season so it’s not a big deal.    

I watched the first two, they were great.  Will probably watch the third one tomorrow.

I got excited about hearing about some of these guys.  I'm conditioned to think that any/all Orioles prospects are flameouts and/or busts but I couldn't help get my hopes up after hearing Tony speak about them, especially DL Hall and Grayson Rodriguez.

It seems like Mountcastle is destined for first base.  I understand that he could play in LF, and while LF doesn't need a rocket arm, I can't imagine that if his arm is THAT bad, he can hack it in the outfield.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think the computer screen behind you on the show also said he was 19.    The OH write-up also has him at 19.   http://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/11/06/brenan-hanifee-rhp-2018-10-prospect/

He was 19 for two months into the season so it’s not a big deal.    

Well that's probably why I have it my head that he was 19. lol

5 hours ago, Ballmer Bruce said:

Use Mountcastle as a low cost DH.  No need to spend big money on older talent for this which leaves more budget for position players.

Why would you make an athlete like Mountcastle a DH? 

I finished all three yesterday.  Tony, it is excellent work even with the very fair feedback Frobby has already provided. Without question, it is my hope that this is something that you will do again. I was very impressed with the presentation as well as the content.  I thought it might be a little bit like reading the OH version of the top 30, but the detail and the stories were very good.  No, they were outstanding.  I thought Terry was a good sidekick and the two of you played well off each other.

It was clear the three were filmed back to back and as you go forward that may continue to be needed for production reasons.  Same outfits were not a problem at all.  But I'd try to stay clear of saying your tired even if you are...

But honestly, that is the criticism.

I LOVED it!!!

10 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I finished all three yesterday.  Tony, it is excellent work even with the very fair feedback Frobby has already provided. Without question, it is my hope that this is something that you will do again. I was very impressed with the presentation as well as the content.  I thought it might be a little bit like reading the OH version of the top 30, but the detail and the stories were very good.  No, they were outstanding.  I thought Terry was a good sidekick and the two of you played well off each other.

It was clear the three were filmed back to back and as you go forward that may continue to be needed for production reasons.  Same outfits were not a problem at all.  But I'd try to stay clear of saying your tired even if you are...

But honestly, that is the criticism.

I LOVED it!!!

Haha, fair enough. We originally thought we would have stools but Gregg our director thought it would look better standing up. After about and hour and half of standing in the same spot, our feet were pretty numb.

Since we were trying to keep it light, Terry just went with the truth, which was probably funnier for me than the viewer since I was feeling the same "pain". 

Thanks for the kind words and feedback and glad you liked it. 

Archived