Alright, it's time to get this rolling already...

interloper

I agree, but you better go ahead and brace yourself for daily stories about Davis before, during and after spring training. I mean, they'll sprinkle in some other stories, but Davis will get the page clicks...especially if the stories offer optimism.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/2/2019 at 12:34 PM, interloper said:

That's a fair point. I guess all I'm really looking for is a transition from Elias' quote that he "will be involved" with Davis to one saying he "is currently involved". That would suffice for me.

I think it is safe to say he is involved.  I don't think he is going to be working Davis out two three times a week.  

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d say there’s a greater than 2/3 chance that you are correct.   But for $92 mm you’ll take the 1/3 chance that something can be done to help this guy, at least for enough time to give it a fair test.    

This is of course spot on.  They are going to check out Davis and give him every chance to succeed.  But that chance is going to have a time constraint and it aint 4 years.  Davis will improve or he won't.  But sometime in 2019, he will have to earn his playing time.  I continue to hope I am wrong, but I think he is done.

22 hours ago, oriole said:

I don’t think they should release him but I don’t think anyone should hold out hope that there is any kind of offseason plan will help the man. I’m more interested in Bundy, Cobb, or Cashner and what offseason plans they’re working on. I’m more interested in Richie Martins diet or how much time Nunez has spent on his defense than what nonsense anyone can dredge up about the hope for Chris Davis. I’m exaggerating a bit for effect but I’ve seen “Davis’ offseason plans” mentioned a few times and it’s mind boggling that anyone thinks there’s a fix. I hope I’m wrong it but if he hits a .700 OPS next year I will be legitimately shocked.

I think we all hope there is improvement, but I think the best way to say it is this.  There is a new set of eyes on Davis, and if they can't figure out a fix, no one is and there will have to be some resolution.

43 minutes ago, interloper said:

This sounds like anyone left available doesn't meet his expectations. He does not want to hire someone and be stuck with them for 2-3 years. 

I'd also expect a bunch of hires to roll out in the next 2 weeks as a few more top level positions are filled and there are more decision makers to conduct interviews and make hires. 

On 1/2/2019 at 12:50 PM, LookinUp said:

I wonder how much Elias/Mejdal's experience tempers their urgency to have a farm director. I know they need one and I'm sure they know that too, but they might feel like that position has less urgency to fill because they'll have such a large role in directing the organization's approaches to player development. If I had to rank that list, I'd say it goes something like this...

1. Int'l scouting director (done, of course)
2. Domestic scouting director (maybe this depends on particular showcases and the college season? Still, this requires a ton of planning and resource allocation. It's important.)
3. Major/Minor league coaching staffs (needs at least a little lead time before spring training)
4. Farm director
5. Analytics hires (not necessarily to be announced publicly, can likely purchase data/analytics they know they need in advance of in-house development)
6. Chris Davis plan (probably already in place to some degree)
7. Catcher

You could definitely argue that Farm Director is of primary importance and very urgent, but maybe that's not the case?

That's a great point on Mike and Sig not wanting to make any sudden moves. They have that luxury. They're smart not to flail around for talent. They're confident. They aren't worried. 

Seeing Mike talk, I get the sense that he's a deep evaluator. His first task is to evaluate everything from top to bottom... every position. That takes some time. He's playing a very long game, and that's what we've wanted for many years. So I'm 100% okay with it. In fact, I LOVE the fact that we aren't hearing announcements, like, today. It means we're deliberating and analyzing to make a better choice tomorrow. 

18 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

That's a great point on Mike and Sig not wanting to make any sudden moves. They have that luxury. They're smart not to flail around for talent. They're confident. They aren't worried. 

Seeing Mike talk, I get the sense that he's a deep evaluator. His first task is to evaluate everything from top to bottom... every position. That takes some time. He's playing a very long game, and that's what we've wanted for many years. So I'm 100% okay with it. In fact, I LOVE the fact that we aren't hearing announcements, like, today. It means we're deliberating and analyzing to make a better choice tomorrow. 

Yeah as impatient as I am, I do agree. I'd rather they take their time and build from the ground up smartly.

Also, I think Mike wants to make that #1 pick himself, haha. You don't get many of those.

22 hours ago, interloper said:

Yeah as impatient as I am, I do agree. I'd rather they take their time and build from the ground up smartly.

Also, I think Mike wants to make that #1 pick himself, haha. You don't get many of those.

That's hilarious. I could totally see that. Let's hope he gets it right and gets a little lucky. 

Sometimes I wonder if we put too much emphasis on a 1-1 pick, thinking it will determine our future success or failure. 

But I feel better knowing that Mike didn't hit on every first rounder, because it's about the entire draft... and the entire pipeline. 

Lame organizations over-focus on the top draft picks, IMO. Good ones see the whole picture, and attend to it. 

45 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

Sometimes I wonder if we put too much emphasis on a 1-1 pick, thinking it will determine our future success or failure. 

Lame organizations over-focus on the top draft picks, IMO. Good ones see the whole picture, and attend to it. 

Right. The top pick doesn't just give us the opportunity to get the best player in this draft, it also gives us a much larger bonus pool to creatively spread out across the draft. We're liable to end up with a Lucas Giolito type of overslot pick in the 2nd/3rd round. Having the #1 pick really is a large advantage beyond the pick of any individual player at #1.

On 1/4/2019 at 12:44 PM, LookinUp said:

Right. The top pick doesn't just give us the opportunity to get the best player in this draft, it also gives us a much larger bonus pool to creatively spread out across the draft. We're liable to end up with a Lucas Giolito type of overslot pick in the 2nd/3rd round. Having the #1 pick really is a large advantage beyond the pick of any individual player at #1.

Even more reason to be excited about this draft... When you throw in a robust International Signing spree next summer... Add that to whatever we just got from the DD trades... and we could have a top-tier farm system in two years. Amazing. 

10 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

Even more reason to be excited about this draft... When you throw in a robust International Signing spree next summer... Add that to whatever we just got from the DD trades... and we could have a top-tier farm system in two years. Amazing. 

So the Sky isn't falling? :)

chickenlittle.jpg

45 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

Well none of that has happened yet. You can't really get excited about an international signing spree that we have no idea if it will happen or not or a draft pick that hasn't occurred yet.  Remember the Astros missed on 2 of their 3 #1 overalls and the Rays missed (well not as bad as the Astros but Delmon Young and Tim Beckham I consider misses)  on 2 #1 overalls as well.  

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Well none of that has happened yet. You can't really get excited about an international signing spree that we have no idea if it will happen or not or a draft pick that hasn't occurred yet.  Remember the Astros missed on 2 of their 3 #1 overalls and the Rays missed (well not as bad as the Astros but Delmon Young and Tim Beckham I consider misses)  on 2 #1 overalls as well.  

Yeah, I’m in don’t count your chickens before they hatch mode.   I hope when we look at our system this October we’ll feel we’ve made progress.    

We all know that “crickets” from the front office doesn’t mean that they are not doing anything.  Also, Mike Elias has a lot to learn, and so by him being forced to fit pieces into a puzzle right now, it should make our franchise better off in the future.

i think I just want him to decide and I will trust that choice, whether it is a current coach or someone off the street.

it will take a long time for us to see what his loyalty level is, for example, so if he has some positions that he is more willing to change next offseason, that may be OK too.

As Oriole fans, this is an exciting time.  The teams will have coaches teaching things that have never been thought of around here.

On 1/3/2019 at 12:26 PM, interloper said:

Considering he was hired a little late in the game for the upcoming season, it’s better that he wait to fill postiions with his people rather than hire people that are bad fits. Plus he’s a younger guy and this his is first GM job. I’m sure he’s going to want to be involved in everything. Obsession is a young man’s game. 

Archived