Dempsey is helping Austin Wynns

baltfan

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, Weams inclusion of GWAR is the only thing of any interest or amusement in this entire 10 page rant that has been used to bash Dempsey for a non-issue.  Could never see him as the Orioles manager, which was always his dream job, but this is much ado about nothing at all.

Re: the OP, I'm fine with this.  Here's where mile-high view, Austin Wynns is an individual contractor gathering professional knowledge.  Whether it's relevant, or if he uses it, is his choice.

I doubt it'll be as effective, but structurally this is the same as when JD Martinez worked with Craig Wallenbrock and Robert Van Scoyoc 5 years ago.  It was not enough to save him from getting released by the Astros in 2014's spring training.  Now Van Scoyoc is the Dodgers hitting coach.

Organizations are primary resources for players, but I don't think players should necessarily look to the club as the be all end all.  I think we all know the edge we give our players isn't state of the art yet.

3 hours ago, interloper said:

I'm not worried about him ruining anyone, I'm worried about having just anybody being able to work with players without some kind of plan or clearance from, you know, the actual Oriole employees running the team. He's an idiot because every single one of his ideas is about 40 years old and he makes no effort to actually learn about today's game. He was a mediocre player. He's been loudly angling to be the manager for years. He's constantly trying to get his influence on the club but he brings basically nothing to the table except: "Players should be in better shape! They should sit farther back!" Wow, genius. He's a clown. 

He was an above average player who had a very long career. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

There is no way catchers set up “at least three feet” further back than when Dempsey was in the majors. First, I’ve observed no difference at all in the time I’ve been a fan.   Second, the frequency of catcher’s interference has hardly changed at all; in fact, active (sort of) player Jacoby Ellsbury is the all-time leader in getting on base via CI.   See this article:  https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/baseball-has-a-new-all-time-record/ 

Of course, Dempsey’s statement that “at least 90 percent of all starters are pretty much out of the ballgame by the middle of the sixth inning” is also untrue, though I get where he’s coming from on that statement.    

As to whether Dempsey’s instruction was authorized by the Orioles, I don’t know.    I’ll leave it to Tim Cossins to get the catchers any instruction they need.   

Probably true about 90 percent of the starters if you are only watching Oriole's games. 

23 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I thought I remembered a different list where he was higher.

Regardless, 55th is still pretty good among all time catchers.

When Bill James updated his Historical Baseball Abstract around 2000 he did a top 100 at each position.  I was a little surprised that all it took to get to the top 100 was to be a pretty good player for 6-8 years.  Nick Markakis cracked the top 100 RFers (by JAWS) two or three years ago.  Bordick and Hardy are in the top 100 at short.  Manny is in the top 50 after six+ years, and has a better JAWS score than three HOF third basemen.  BJ Surhoff is 62nd in LF.

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

He did not mention that his restaurant has a four star Michelin rating and considered one of the top 10 restaurants in the world

I though Michelin only gave out 3 stars max. 

3 hours ago, interloper said:

It's a double standard that we are mad at Brady for going behind the pitching coach's back with players, but not mad about this. I find this totally unacceptable unless he cleared this with the front office. But come on. We know he didn't. Dempsey knows there isn't a coaching staff in place so he saw his opportunity to assert his influence. The guy is constantly angling. He sucks.

No, Brady is on the payroll and he is destroying the Orioles by forcing Mike Wright to a HOF career!

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

When a player who retired 25 years ago comes right out and says that "catcher instruction today is crap compared to back in my day", my assumption is that the game has completely passed him by and he isn't bright enough to see it.  There are countless differences in how the game is played today compared to 1985.  Most of them driven by analysis, data, experience and changing conditions.  Dempsey thinks they've happened because these younger baseball people are dumb and can't see the stupid things they're doing like only he can.

The only things this piece was missing is an admonition to the kids to get off his lawn, and a rant about how the video games are ruining everything.

It's not video games that are ruining everything.  It's failure to follow Brady.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

You can really tell just how little Roch is in the loop. I mean, there was no indication whatsoever that he (or any of the beat reporters, to be fair) knew about Koby Perez before the Orioles tweeted it. His posts have had just a faintest hint of salt regarding the new regime and it's kind of funny.

Now this is true, in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

By the way, Weams inclusion of GWAR is the only thing of any interest or amusement in this entire 10 page rant that has been used to bash Dempsey for a non-issue.  Could never see him as the Orioles manager, which was always his dream job, but this is much ado about nothing at all.

On the contrary, this thread isn't much ado about nothing, it is a danger to society.  For example, I just laughed and had coffee blast out of my nose, burning nose hairs and resulting in screaming sounds that brought 3 separate appearances by first responders.  I tried to explain, but they didn't get it.  But it's ok, everyone has been allowed back on our floor.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

When Bill James updated his Historical Baseball Abstract around 2000 he did a top 100 at each position.  I was a little surprised that all it took to get to the top 100 was to be a pretty good player for 6-8 years.  Nick Markakis cracked the top 100 RFers (by JAWS) two or three years ago.  Bordick and Hardy are in the top 100 at short.  Manny is in the top 50 after six+ years, and has a better JAWS score than three HOF third basemen.  BJ Surhoff is 62nd in LF.

Dang, sounds like the newer players are so much better than the golden day boys, or the analysis is flawed.

26 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

There was small part of the movie "Empire Records" with them.  I thought it was a made-up band for the movie!  Go figure that GWAR is a real thing.

Oh they're real and they've covered Billy Ocean's "Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car". Google it. 

9 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I believe a restaurant can get 3 stars, but a chef can get more (i.e., he/she keeps accumulating them). 

When I was in Paris recently I thought about going to some 3 star restaurants but with the price of $1000 for dinner for two I passed.  I can only imagine the cost of anyone having more than 3 stars.  

Archived