Dempsey is helping Austin Wynns

baltfan

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

When I was in Paris recently I thought about going to some 3 star restaurants but with the price of $1000 for dinner for two I passed.  I can only imagine the cost of anyone having more than 3 stars.  

That's a lot of Rick Dempsey personally autographed bats!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, atomic said:

When I was in Paris recently I thought about going to some 3 star restaurants but with the price of $1000 for dinner for two I passed.  I can only imagine the cost of anyone having more than 3 stars.  

One of the cooking shows was showing a pizza place in New York that was selling pizzas with edible gold layers among the caviar toppings.

41 minutes ago, atomic said:

Probably true about 90 percent of the starters if you are only watching Oriole's games. 

It only feels that way.   By my count, the O’s starters pitched at least 6 innings in 67 of 162.

6+: 43

7+: 18

8+: 3

9: 3

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Sorry. Putting my fingers in my ears on this one. He's an idiot, a clown, and a self-aggrandizing shill. No amount of sensible back and forth will get me to agree that having Dempsey subverting our coaches is a good thing.

Please refrain from calling Dempsey names. You can have any opinion you want about Dempsey, but we don't allow name calling or calling someone a clown.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Please refrain from calling Dempsey names. You can have any opinion you want about Dempsey, but we don't allow name calling or calling someone a clown.

After all he is a World Series MVP.  

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Dempsey was an excellent catcher.  He rarely hit.

The real danger here is that Tim Cossins and Demspey don't agree on catching philosophy.

He sure was.  I don’t know the numbers, but I bet an OPS+ in the 80s was actually pretty good for a catcher when he played too.

27 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Dang, sounds like the newer players are so much better than the golden day boys, or the analysis is flawed.

Since it's all measured against peers the timeline has little or no difference.  MLB has only been around for 140-odd years.  That's only six or seven times Brooksie's career.  

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I love history, but it's mostly a cautionary tale.  The pace of progress over the last couple of centuries is such that a 50-year regression in a field is pretty darned unlikely.  One of my primary goals in life is to never be the old man shouting nonsense from his porch.

No, you will be the old-man yelling Bill James' nonsense from the porch. ;)

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's one thing to give him some tips and pointers and try to incorporate that into all the stuff he's learned from modern coaches who're still actively engaged in the game.  And maybe we should give Dipper the benefit of the doubt, and his hyperbolic statements aren't the full truth.  

But it's hard to give him some rope when he basically says he knows better than the guys who've been doing active work with MLB teams for the past two decades while he's been free-associating stuff from the MASN home studio.

Honestly, that was my concern. It's not that I don't think Dempsey might know a thing of two about catching, I'm sure he does, but I'm sure why he thinks all of these catchers have been taught so wrong. Basically he just said Donnie Warner was an idiot yet Wieters, Joseph and Wynns all have come up under his watch and all have been pretty good defensive catchers at times. 

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Ross Grimsley to help with whatever, just so long as he shows up with his 1977 hair.

Ross doesn't have the awesome 70's fro anymore, but he does have a kick ass Fu Manchu mustache. He's also a great guy and good analyst.

ph-tt-towson-orioles-0329-20170328

Archived