Trezza: Elias not planning on hiring a Scouting or Player Development Director in the near future

Greg Pappas

14 minutes ago, raypetty said:

I hope the "I plan to have an extra level of personal involvement" in those areas is not the Angelos brothers!

They will be busy with other things like the MASN settlement, Ownership issues, etc. And I have seen nothing that leads me to believe Elias has anything other than total control over Baseball Ops.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not worried about him spreading himself too thin. For now, anyway. He has a lot of people to rely on. Drafting and scouting is in his wheelhouse. He's going to put the people in place who will follow orders in terms of the farm system and the big work there can start happening mid-season. 

Like I said in another thread, I think he wants to own that #1 overall pick, and this draft in general. Instead of hiring someone quickly and trying to get that person up to speed, he's just going to handle the draft himself. And I think that's smart. What better way to ensure you're  getting things going in the direction you want them than by doing it yourself in the short term? You don't get many #1 overall picks (ideally), and I bet he already has a very good idea where he wants to go in the draft. 

Meanwhile, he's got guys like Qualls and Brady and Hyde (who, we've learned, is essentially a for real part of the front office) who can assist. Plus, hey, he's young. He made the right call hiring Perez for an area he's probably not as well versed in and for a position that did not even exist in 2018 for the Orioles. 

My only concern is that there is a lot more to being a scouting director than making draft picks.  SD's generally are responsible for coordinating the scheduling of the scouts and cross checkers, reviewing reports, personally scouting the top prospects under consideration for high round picks, and prioritizing the draft prospects before the draft itself.  It's a full-time job. 

While doing all of that, he will also be supervising minor league operations and player development which means evaluating our minor league prospects and the various coaching staffs, hiring coaches to fill out positions that are vacant, determining when to promote players during the season between minor league affiliates or to the majors. 

Oh, and he's GM of the Orioles, evaluating the major league players on the team now, evaluating potential free agents and trade targets, negotiating with agents and other GMs.

That's a lot of stuff.  He's not alone and has some a minimal staff to help, but I think some of it is bound to fall through the cracks if they are not very careful.

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

My only concern is that there is a lot more to being a scouting director than making draft picks.  SD's generally are responsible for coordinating the scheduling of the scouts and cross checkers, reviewing reports, personally scouting the top prospects under consideration for high round picks, and prioritizing the draft prospects before the draft itself.  It's a full-time job. 

While doing all of that, he will also be supervising minor league operations and player development which means evaluating our minor league prospects and the various coaching staffs, hiring coaches to fill out positions that are vacant, determining when to promote players during the season between minor league affiliates or to the majors. 

Oh, and he's GM of the Orioles, evaluating the major league players on the team now, evaluating potential free agents and trade targets, negotiating with agents and other GMs.

That's a lot of stuff.  He's not alone and has some a minimal staff to help, but I think some of it is bound to fall through the cracks if they are not very careful.

I am not too worried about this draft. I think he has his own handle on what available this year. He will build his FO team with the right people and let them help in the future drafts. IMO

10 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Probably waiting until the off-season to hire more people.  Probably the people he wants for these positions are already under contract and can't switch jobs at this time.  Like it was said they aren't going to rush into hiring people just to hire people and are going to wait to get the right people who will be here a long time. 

20 minutes ago, atomic said:

Probably waiting until the off-season to hire more people.  Probably the people he wants for these positions are already under contract and can't switch jobs at this time.  Like it was said they aren't going to rush into hiring people just to hire people and are going to wait to get the right people who will be here a long time. 

When does the off season, start?

Elias:  "Brady, I would like you to take the lead on free agent negotiations as I focus more on scouting."

Brady:  "Great, I have some experience with that.  I will get started right away.  Who are you looking at?"

*Elias hands Brady an empty folder*

Elias: "We aren't.  Were tanking.  Enjoy your new office."

Archived