Olney suggests Sherill to the Sawx???

Roll Tide

So, if they acquire two guys from a division rival that they can put in their lineup immediately they are conceding that they are in complete rebuild mode?

A closer on this team is replaceable with Johnson and/or Ray when he comes back. We don't have ANY position players outside of Wieters and possibly Reimold who are ready to contribute to this team next season. And....who's to say they don't acquire a closer in the off season?

Ray should be tried as a setup man when he comes back first to see if he can even handle that. He certainly never convinced me he could handle the closer job previously. Johnson could be tried as a closer but he is extremely valuable right now as a set up man and considering how unreliable our starting pitching is I would be heisitant to change him. I also don't like the idea because he's going to a division rival. It always galled me to watch BJ Ryan facing the Orioles as well as Mussina and both of them should have been retained. I am not opposed to trading Sherrill, but much like the Bedard and Tejada deals, it needs to be done without hurting us by strenghening our division rivals. Just common sense. Now if we are in a full rebuild mode, that is a different story, so in that scenario you are conceding the division for the next three or four years at a minimum. In that case, I would agree with doing it, but only under a full rebuild mode.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who cares who our closer is??? Sherrill is 30 ... By the time the Orioles turn the corner Sherill will likely be in decline. Johnson could probably close anyway ...but I say it doesn't matter.

Bingo. It's fun to watch Sherrill but he's a 31 year old who, thanks to the All-Star game, is riding quite a wave of popularity. I don't see any reason to hold onto an already (in baseball terms) middle aged player to bridge the gap to our contending years when that player himself might be able to bring back top prospects.. People will overpay for him, and we should pounce on that.

This season is painfully showing how fickle prospects can be. Before this season everyone was drooling at the idea of seeing Penn, Olson and Liz in the rotation and now everybody averts their eyes when they take the ball. Need to continue to draft better and stockpile talent.

He's 31, ok everyone, 4/19/77.

Yes, that makes him even one year closer to the grave (no pun intended).[/quote

31 ancient....maybe we should shoot him. As for me, I have to turn off this game and head out to buy a cemetary plot.

You just reminded me I'm 3 months shy of my 31st. Thaaaaaaanks.

Then I've got you beat. I am 34, 3 years and a week ahead of my bro. I will buy you a cane for your b-day, then, since you are so ancient. I thought the play on words from my last post would have gotten more play with closer.

Not sure what is going to happen. I haven't talked to anyone lately. Posted part of Olney's blog from today, earlier in this thread -- page 6, I think.

Then I've got you beat. I am 34, 3 years and a week ahead of my bro. I will buy you a cane for your b-day, then, since you are so ancient. I thought the play on words from my last post would have gotten more play with closer.

Not sure what is going to happen. I haven't talked to anyone lately. Posted part of Olney's blog from today, earlier in this thread -- page 6, I think.

At this point, I think it's 50/50 he's traded. With teams wanting to hang onto their top position prospects like gold, and the Orioles needing to be overwhelmed by an offer, it's going to take a team to mortgage part of their future to land Sherrill. It seems that the Orioles still don't want to deal in the division according to that Olney comment, so my guess is he's not going anywhere...

At this point, I think it's 50/50 he's traded. With teams wanting to hang onto their top position prospects like gold, and the Orioles needing to be overwhelmed by an offer, it's going to take a team to mortgage part of their future to land Sherrill. It seems that the Orioles still don't want to deal in the division according to that Olney comment, so my guess is he's not going anywhere...

Then the FO has learned nothing from the decade of losing. Color me surprised.

Then the FO has learned nothing from the decade of losing. Color me surprised.

Here's the latest from Olney...quoted

Sherrill on his way out of Baltimore?

George Sherrill | Orioles | Interested: Red Sox? Angels? Dodgers?

With George Sherrill not up for free agency until 2011 he could be the most coveted closer in the trade market, ESPN's Buster Olney reports. Sherrill has the least amount of service time of any available closer and lefties are hitting just .163 against him.

With the July 31 deadline rapidly approaching, the Baltimore Orioles director of baseball operations Andy MacPhail is said to be quietly gauging Sherrill's value.

Olney adds that the Los Angeles Dodgers, the Los Angeles Angels and the Boston Red Sox could be in the hunt for Sherrill's services.

31 ancient....maybe we should shoot him. As for me, I have to turn off this game and head out to buy a cemetary plot.

If 31 makes Sherrill ancient than 37 makes Mora prehistoric! :laughlol:

Now to the topic at hand.... I think the Orioles hold on to Sherrill because of his favorable contract status.

You can't trade sherrill to someone in our division, that doesnt do us any good. We'd run into him in the ninth one day and he'd shut us down.

When is the last time Sherrill shut anyone down? He regularly puts men on and flirts with disaster. I say trade him to whomever will give up the most for him, even if that includes the Yankees or Red Sox.

Archived