Olney suggests Sherill to the Sawx???

Roll Tide

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regardless of what he's done in exhibition games, he's not a dominant closer, is 31 and should DEFINITELY be considered for trades.

Hey, I agree with what you were saying, but come on. You know if you post something like "When is the last time Sherrill shut anyone down?", you know someone will find a time he did and show it to you. :P

Here's a site ranking the Sox prospects: http://www.soxprospects.com/

I'd take Lowrie, Almanzar, and Carter, and think that may be fair. I don't see us getting Lowrie and Masterson/Bowden.

Or Lowrie and Anderson would be great.

If they don't want to deal Lowrie, I'd be fine with substituting Anderson for Lowrie in the first deal.

When is the last time Sherrill shut anyone down? He regularly puts men on and flirts with disaster. I say trade him to whomever will give up the most for him, even if that includes the Yankees or Red Sox.

Agreed Sean .... I know Sherrill is not ancient ... Nor is Roberts,Scott & Huff. But they are the O's most valuable trade chips. They will either be on the downside of their careers (much like Mora) or gone by the time the O's are good again.

Uhm, look at his numbers....Sherrill is not that good. In a good bullpen he would be a late inning setup man brought in to get lefties out. As a closer he's barely adequate. Forget the saves...look at the peripheral numbers and his ERA. The Orioles should be absolutely looking to deal him now if his stock is high in some corners of the league.

Then I've got you beat. I am 34, 3 years and a week ahead of my bro. I will buy you a cane for your b-day, then, since you are so ancient. I thought the play on words from my last post would have gotten more play with closer.

Not sure what is going to happen. I haven't talked to anyone lately. Posted part of Olney's blog from today, earlier in this thread -- page 6, I think.

A cane might be appreciated...I do have bad knees. ;)

Jon Miller raised the Sherrill to the Angels possibility during the Angels/Sox game a short while ago. Joe Morgan thought it made sense but argued the Angels need offense a lot more.

Peter Gammons said the Angels' brass told him they don't expect to do much at the deadline, but Jon and Joe didn't seem to believe that.

Sherrill and Huff in a package?

Uhm, look at his numbers....Sherrill is not that good. In a good bullpen he would be a late inning setup man brought in to get lefties out. As a closer he's barely adequate. Forget the saves...look at the peripheral numbers and his ERA. The Orioles should be absolutely looking to deal him now if his stock is high in some corners of the league.

Some of these things aren't like the others. Can you name them?

He was a late inning set up man to get lefties out in the past, so I guess you might be able to predict the future. He is not that good, but he is barely an adequate closer. How is that possible? If it is, then the O's are horrid.

What peripherals are you wanting to look at? ERA doesn't really matter, though I will mention it below. It is in the AL, anything under 4 is pretty good. Total BAA is only .229 (4th best BAA on the O's pitching staff).

Just in the AL, among the major closers (KRod, Papelbon, Nathan, Soria, Rivera, Wilson, Percival, Jenks, Jones, Ryan, Street), Sherrill ranks the following:

5th in K (44)

T 10th BB (24)

9th in ERA (3.89)

8th in BAA (.229)

9th in OBA (.331)

9th in SLG (.373)

5th in K/9 (9.50)

11th in BB/9 (5.18)

T 8th in H/9 (7.56)

9th in WHIP (1.42)

If that is that bad, then I am sorry for O's fan. I have let you down. My brother has let you down. Guess if he had only sucked a little worse, they would already be sellers.

When is the last time Sherrill shut anyone down? He regularly puts men on and flirts with disaster. I say trade him to whomever will give up the most for him, even if that includes the Yankees or Red Sox.

You mean other than at the All-Star game where he recorded 7 outs against some of the best hitters in the game? I think some Orioles fans undervalue Sherrill because he doesn't get them one, two, three without having the ball hit. Closers like Rivera, Rodriguez, Papelbon, and Nathan have used amazing fastballs to strikeout batters. Sherrill doesn't throw that hard so it makes it harder for him to get the K, which is much more sexy than a few flyouts. Our closer is an above average left handed hitter. Lefties are hitting .163 against him, I would have to say that is well below the league average.

Here's a site ranking the Sox prospects: http://www.soxprospects.com/

I'd take Lowrie, Almanzar, and Carter, and think that may be fair. I don't see us getting Lowrie and Masterson/Bowden.

Or Lowrie and Anderson would be great.

If they don't want to deal Lowrie, I'd be fine with substituting Anderson for Lowrie in the first deal.

I would for this deal to happen.

It would be interesting if this was put on the table if the O's would accept it.

AM wants 2 ML ready players...Does he HAVE to have that or is 1 ML ready player and a terrific prospect enough?

I would for this deal to happen.

It would be interesting if this was put on the table if the O's would accept it.

AM wants 2 ML ready players...Does he HAVE to have that or is 1 ML ready player and a terrific prospect enough?

Considering Anderson is pretty much ML ready or will be after this season, I'd say Lowrie and Anderson would be two ML ready players...

Hmm... I wonder what we could get from the Angels. Unfortunately, it's doubtful they'd part with Adenhart.

Adenhart is getting shelled this season in AAA, so I doubt he's untouchable. I think his prospect status has taken a hit. I'm really not fond of the Angels prospects any more. I'd rather deal with the Dodgers, Sox and Rays...

Archived