Bobby Dickerson hired by Phillies

Legend_Of_Joey

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

So Beckman, the failed #1 overall pick of the rays was a bust, because Bobby D couldn't coach him enough?

I think Buck actually said it best a few years ago, you coach these guys and equip them the best you can for them to succeed, but at the end of the day, they have to be responsible to actually perform the job.

I don’t think that is what foxfield was saying.    Basically, a coach isn’t a magician.    Dickerson mostly got a lot of credit for working with Manny in the minors to learn 3B before the O’s brought him up.   I’m sure he did a great job.    That doesn’t make him some irreplaceable super-coach.    Manny didn’t do a particularly great job at SS for us last year, Beckham wasn’t that good at either SS or 3B, Schoop was a decent not great 2B.    Like you say, at the end of the day it’s on the players.    You can’t give the coach too much of the credit when the defense is good, or too much of the blame when it’s bad.    Buck always talked up Bobby D. but that doesn’t mean a whole lot.

35 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

So Beckman, the failed #1 overall pick of the rays was a bust, because Bobby D couldn't coach him enough?

I think Buck actually said it best a few years ago, you coach these guys and equip them the best you can for them to succeed, but at the end of the day, they have to be responsible to actually perform the job.

No...no...again, I love Bobby and I wish him well.  I agree with the above completely.  Beckham is a bust largely because he failed to take advantage of his opportunities and his skills.  I don't think the Orioles or even Tampa for that matter failed him.

But I am ok with moving on too.  I merely meant that I didn't think Bobby was a miracle worker.  Manny has the physical ability to make any number of coaches look good.  If Bobby D had gotten a contract here that would have been fine too...

Just now, foxfield said:

No...no...again, I love Bobby and I wish him well.  I agree with the above completely.  Beckham is a bust largely because he failed to take advantage of his opportunities and his skills.  I don't think the Orioles or even Tampa for that matter failed him.

But I am ok with moving on too.  I merely meant that I didn't think Bobby was a miracle worker.  Manny has the physical ability to make any number of coaches look good.  If Bobby D had gotten a contract here that would have been fine too...

okay, now I get you, need to refill my coffee mug again, and get my brain working better. :)

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think that is what foxfield was saying.    Basically, a coach isn’t a magician.    Dickerson mostly got a lot of credit for working with Manny in the minors to learn 3B before the O’s brought him up.   I’m sure he did a great job.    That doesn’t make him some irreplaceable super-coach.    Manny didn’t do a particularly great job at SS for us last year, Beckham wasn’t that good at either SS or 3B, Schoop was a decent not great 2B.    Like you say, at the end of the day it’s on the players.    You can’t give the coach too much of the credit when the defense is good, or too much of the blame when it’s bad.    Buck always talked up Bobby D. but that doesn’t mean a whole lot.

I get it now.

Yes Buck talked up Bobby D, but Buck was that way with "His" Guys.

Listening to Bobby on interviews and the respect others had for him,  is what I base my respect for him on.

I was fine with him here, and I was fine, if they kept him, they didn't, so he moved on, and I wish him well.

The world keeps turning and we watch the slow clock count down until ST. :)

Archived