Media and Sig Read This (Warning, it's about Chris Davis)

weams

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It bugs me that Davis calls him Mike.  Doesn't seem properly respectful.

16 minutes ago, weams said:

He does not know the man. 

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Exactly.

Really?    It seems completely consistent with baseball culture to me.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Really?    It seems completely consistent with baseball culture to me.   

Maybe it is.

But from my background you don't refer to your boss's boss, whom you have never spoken to, by his first name.

I'm not suggesting this is anything more than me having a personal reaction to something that was said.

On 1/12/2019 at 11:22 AM, Frobby said:

Honestly, I think this is a lot of piling on.    We have no idea how hard Davis is working this winter, or how much he is in communication with the team about what he’s doing.    For all we know, he’s working his butt off and in regular communication with the team.   It’s not like we have tons of information about what all the other players are doing this winter, except for the smattering of information about a handful of guys who choose Sarasota for their offseason spot.    Tillman worked out there all last winter — woo hoo!

Now we have more information about what Davis has been doing this winter.   It sounds pretty good, but the proof will be in the pudding.   http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/01/davis-changes-up-winter-workouts.html

Does anyone else feel like it’s a little odd that Davis and Elias have not yet spoke. I wonder if he has spoken to other players? What’s the general rule of the thumb or is there one when it comes to new GMs communication with the players? There is a part of me that thinks that Elias should of at least made introductory phone calls.

5 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Does anyone else feel like it’s a little odd that Davis and Elias have not yet spoke. I wonder if he has spoken to other players? What’s the general rule of the thumb or is there one when it comes to new GMs communication with the players? There is a part of me that thinks that Elias should of at least made introductory phone calls.

I don't.  I think it is the managers job to talk to the players, not the GM.

4 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I'm not so sure about that.  I'm thinking that it is probably more appropriate for Hyde to speak with the players than Elias.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't.  I think it is the managers job to talk to the players, not the GM.

Though I do think Elias said he was going to reach out to some of the players.   I still don’t find it surprising that he hasn’t done it yet, as he has a lot on his plate.   

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe it is.

But from my background you don't refer to your boss's boss, whom you have never spoken to, by his first name.

I'm not suggesting this is anything more than me having a personal reaction to something that was said.

I always felt like most players went on a first name basis with everyone except the owner. Like Jones would refer to Mr. Angelos but not Mr. Duquette.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It bugs me that Davis calls him Mike.  Doesn't seem properly respectful.

"Mike" is three or four years older than CD, "Mr. Duquette" roughly twice as old.  I agree with you, but I'm sure that age has something to do with it.  If I was Elias, I might think hard about cultivating some distance from the players precisely because of the neglible age difference

On 1/12/2019 at 3:59 PM, atomic said:

These Chris Davis threads are getting old.  The team signed him to the contract and a lot of you guys were all for it.  He is what he is.  Maybe we can have a ban on Chris Davis posts until spring training starts.  

The title clearly said it was a Chris Davis thread.  If YOU are tired of discussing him, fantastic, stay out of the thread.  But please don't speak for everyone and tell us what we can and cannot discuss.  

Archived