Orioles in the Hall of Fame Vote

orange23

There are five former Orioles on the 2019 Hall of Fame ballot, and the election results will be announced next Tuesday. Some are more notable than others.

Two former O's, Lee Smith and Harold Baines, were already voted in by the Today's Game Era Committee.

Freddy Garcia (pitched very briefly for the Orioles in 2013) makes the ballot for the first time, and he might not even earn a single vote.

Sammy Sosa is on the ballot for the seventh year, but it could be his last.

Curt Schilling certainly won't make the Hall for his numbers with the O's, but he still has a shout in his seventh year of eligibility.

Miguel Tejada is also eligible for the first time after retiring in 2013. Miggy put up some good numbers for us and has a case for making the Hall. He has 6 all-star appearances (3 with the O's), won two Silver Slugger awards (both with the O's), and won the AL MVP with Oakland in '02. His association with steroids will still sit in the voters' minds, so I doubt he gets in.

Mike Mussina is in his sixth year on the ballot. His HOF voting percentages have trended upward over the years, and even if he doesn't get in this year, he'll get in eventually. The only question is whether or not his plaque will feature an Oriole or Yankee cap. He had his best years with the O's, so I think it's an obvious decision, but that's not always how it works.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mussina definitely has the best odds. I think I’ll put him as an Oriole tho. His stats were better and he made his reputation as an Oriole and his numbers for us were better than with NY. It might be different if he had won some or even one championship with the Yanks. Tejada I don’t think will fall off completely but I’d be shocked if he exceeds 25%. Schilling will be in the 45-65% range imo. Sosa I don’t see it and we agree on Garcia. 

23 minutes ago, orange23 said:

There are five former Orioles on the 2019 Hall of Fame ballot, and the election results will be announced next Tuesday. Some are more notable than others.

Two former O's, Lee Smith and Harold Baines, were already voted in by the Today's Game Era Committee.

Freddy Garcia (pitched very briefly for the Orioles in 2013) makes the ballot for the first time, and he might not even earn a single vote.

Sammy Sosa is on the ballot for the seventh year, but it could be his last.

Curt Schilling certainly won't make the Hall for his numbers with the O's, but he still has a shout in his seventh year of eligibility.

Miguel Tejada is also eligible for the first time after retiring in 2013. Miggy put up some good numbers for us and has a case for making the Hall. He has 6 all-star appearances (3 with the O's), won two Silver Slugger awards (both with the O's), and won the AL MVP with Oakland in '02. His association with steroids will still sit in the voters' minds, so I doubt he gets in.

Mike Mussina is in his sixth year on the ballot. His HOF voting percentages have trended upward over the years, and even if he doesn't get in this year, he'll get in eventually. The only question is whether or not his plaque will feature an Oriole or Yankee cap. He had his best years with the O's, so I think it's an obvious decision, but that's not always how it works.

Any thoughts?

I don't have any thoughts about these guys really. 

44.9% of the projected total ballots have been disclosed, and Mussina is at 82.2%.    None of the other ex-O’s are making any noise.   

Even though Mussina is at 82%, it’s borderline whether he’ll be at 75% when all votes are counted, because typically the voters who don’t make their votes public are much stingier with their votes than those who disclose their votes publicly.   

Current status here:  http://www.bbhoftracker.com/

Further details here: https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=F2E5D8FC5199DFAF!11134&ithint=file,xlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!ACeqm-knNxexBw8

I think Mussina gets in. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Schilling, Clemens, and Bonds. 

Last year, Clemens and Bonds both had 61.2% support via the tracker - but actually finished with 54.1% and 53.8% respectively. So, it seems like they lose a bit of support among the voters who don't post their ballots online early.

I think Mussina falls a few votes short this year, and goes in next year. Either way, he's sure to get in. And he should. Funny, if he goes in this year, you've got three members of the 1994 Orioles in the induction class. 

13 minutes ago, theocean said:

If he was the pitching coach, I'm sure we'd all find a way to hate him. Most thankless job in sports.

“Just throw any of your six pitches for a strike in whatever part of the strike zone you want.   Simple.”

Archived