Next Hall of Famer

waroriole

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/21/2019 at 3:36 PM, waroriole said:

Assuming Mussina gets in and goes as an O, who is the next O’s Hall of Famer? What are the odds for Machado going in as an Oriole. Does Nick have a shot if he gets 3,000 hits. Or has the next one made his ML debut yet?

I'd like to think Machado would be our next Hall of Famer. He had 6.5 great years with us, but I imagine he'll sign a long-term contract with [insert his new team] and play just as well there for a good chuck of years.

I'd also love to see Nick get 3,000 hits, but he'd still have to stay around for another 5-6 years and he's already 35. But if he does hit the milestone, he definitely has a good shot to make the Hall imo whether he gets in through the regular ballot or some committee like Trammell and Baines have recently. Nick just re-signed with Atlanta today for 1 year worth $6 mil. He's been so consistent for his career, so you never know. Either way, Machado and Markakis are future Orioles Hall of Famers for sure. Adam Jones is in that category as well.

As for our next realistic Hall of Famer, he is probably in some other team's minor league system or in grade school.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, the precedent is in the Hall with an Orioles hat and at least one ring.

I never heard the ring part. 

It’s easy for me to say this but from the outside looking in why go with the Yankees? He gets lost in the shuffle there. I don’t think the Yankees fans adore him.  Here, enough time has passed for people to objectively look at why he left and not the emotion of it.  

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I never heard the ring part. 

It’s easy for me to say this but from the outside looking in why go with the Yankees? He gets lost in the shuffle there. I don’t think the Yankees fans adore him.  Here, enough time has passed for people to objectively look at why he left and not the emotion of it.  

Everyone to date has met both criteria.

As for why NY?

More money in being a Yankee Hall of Famer.

He might also more closely identify with the Yankees, we don't know.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll accept that as a reference.

Statue it is.

I'm not sure how they'll retire his number now after giving it to 9 players since him.  They didn't even hold it back like they've done with #7 for example (30 years+)  I believe that was a deliberate slight.  Josh Towers was the first to wear #35 in 2001.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Everyone to date has met both criteria.

As for why NY?

More money in being a Yankee Hall of Famer.

He might also more closely identify with the Yankees, we don't know.

Sure he may identify more. Obviously it’s his life not mine. I just never thought Yankees fans embraced him there. 

As far as the ring goes this is an individual honor. I would never hold that against a player. Not like he was the reason. Many great players all over sports like Dan Marino don’t have rings.  

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

I'm not sure how they'll retire his number now after giving it to 9 players since him.  They didn't even hold it back like they've done with #7 for example (30 years+)  I believe that was a deliberate slight.  Josh Towers was the first to wear #35 in 2001.

Would be easy enough to do.

Just say it is part of the changing of the guard from Peter to his sons.

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

Peter may have ordered it. 

I don’t think the sons are the father.  

Archived