Congratulations, Moose!

TonySoprano

What cap will be on Mussina's Cooperstown plaque?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What cap will be on Mussina's Cooperstown plaque?

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think he goes in as a Yankee.   Either an Oriole or neutral.   

Heard on the Fan tonight that it sounded like it was the Hall’s descion because Moose couldn’t decide.    I bet neutral.   Better stats with the O’s aside.  

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, CynBeth said:

It figures that a Yankee would be the first player to get 100%. 

Except that the  Yankee was not Babe.  Just by rule, no player should ever get more votes than Babe Ruth.  Not ever, for any reason.   But, now....tradition?  hallowed ritual?  respect for the past?  Pretty much secondary to what ever the modern fan wants done, particularly the modern day NY fan.   Sad. 

5 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Well there ya have it.  Ten years ago, I had to defend Mussina's candidacy.  A lot of people just didn't think he was good enough.  Especially "old school" fans.  I had to try to explain how Moose was really one of the better pitchers in baseball after WW II.

Now, the only question is whether he goes in as an Oriole or a Yankee.

Congrats Moose.  You were at one point my favorite baseball player.  Maybe the joke was on me.  But you deserve this!

Yes, congrats! Well done, Mr Mussina.

26 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Congrats Mike.  I loved watching you pitch.

He was a beauty to watch! An artist, a technician on the mound. And a damn bulldog. Congratulations Moose!

One of my favorite pictures in my "collection". The knucklecurve.

KNUKLCRV.jpg

Moose says he's undecided about the cap issue, but sounds like he could be persuaded one way or the other ("what the best plan is").

One of the things Mussina will have to handle is whether to go into the Hall as an Oriole — the team that drafted him in 1990 out of Stanford, promoted him to the majors in 1991 and for whom he played 10 seasons — or the Yankees, for whom he played eight years, went to two World Series and completed his career, in 2008, with his first 20-win campaign.

He’s said in the past that he didn’t feel like he could choose between his two clubs, and he reiterated that Tuesday. It’s possible that his plaque includes no logo, similar to what happened with pitcher Greg Maddux and manager Tony La Russa in 2014. The Hall of Fame’s research committee, in conjunction with the player, determines what hat — if any — is on each plaque.

“This is January and we’ve got a little time to figure out what the best plan is. I know that a few guys have gone without anything on their hats,” Mussina said. “Both organizations were tremendously valuable and important in my career and I wouldn’t be sitting here talking to you guys if it wasn’t for Baltimore and for New York. I can’t sit here and make a decision on where we’re gonna go with that. We’ll get that figured out and, certainly by July, we’ll have something worked out.”

5 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Never won 20 as an Oriole....only once as a Yankee.... Never won Cy Young. ERA in the high 3's.But he was the best pitcher for the Orioles in the last 25 years and he helped the Yankees win a title. I congratulate him, and I'm happy for him.Wish we never let him go.

What title did he help the Yankees win?

It wasn't planned, it was just luck, but I was in the stands for Mussina's first MLB win, and his 100th.  I enjoyed the heck out of watching him pitch in Baltimore, and it killed me when he signed with the Yanks.  I considered him a traitor for a long time, but in retrospect I can see the reasoning for leaving the Orioles on the eve of their 14-year period of horror.  I still wish he'd signed with the Twins or Angels or something, but that was a long time ago.  I'll just remember the good times he gave us in Baltimore.  

My kid Sam is way too young to have seen him pitch as an Oriole, but has one of my old HTS posters on his wall featuring Moose.  

Congratulations, Mike.

Archived