Frank Robinson has passed

weams

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Even though I was rooting for the Orioles, I was very impressed with Sanguillen's valiant effort on that play. 

Also, there is something strangely glorious about falling in love with a team that falls just a tad shy of taking it all, as I did that October. What a time that was ........ people die, but the memories live on.

O

It's clear Frank had done this kind of rough and tumble thing before. Note how he ducks his head and just barely avoids a cleat to the noggin'. 

I only know him as a player second hand from stories from my dad and other O’s fans of that era.

But his career sure felt alive to me, from obtaining him in that blockbuster trade and him leading us to the Series, to the “Here” homerun clear out of Memorial Stadium to his two grand slams in a game to his powerful clubhouse presence.

The man was a hell of a player, a born leader and a trailblazer to boot.

I know him personally as the manager of the 89 Why Not team, that team that made me fall in love with the Orioles and the sport of baseball.

Thanks for the memories, Frank. Without a doubt you were one of the best.

I became a bseball fan as a boy watching Brooks field third and become Mr. Clutch. He is my favorite Oriole. But Frank Robinson was the best baseball player to put on an Oriole uniform. To find an Oriole of comparable impact, you must go back to the championship teams of the 1890s. Frank Robinson resides now in the pantheon of all-time greats with Ruth, Gehrig, Wagner, Cobb, Willians, ... Like these legendary players, Frank Robinson's baseball deeds will be remembered as long as baseball afficionados gather around the hot stoves.

11 hours ago, George said:

I became a bseball fan as a boy watching Brooks field third and become Mr. Clutch. He is my favorite Oriole. But Frank Robinson was the best baseball player to put on an Oriole uniform. To find an Oriole of comparable impact, you must go back to the championship teams of the 1890s. Frank Robinson resides now in the pantheon of all-time greats with Ruth, Gehrig, Wagner, Cobb, Willians, ... Like these legendary players, Frank Robinson's baseball deeds will be remembered as long as baseball afficionados gather around the hot stoves.

As the board's resident expert on the 1890s Orioles, I'll say that if we were drafting an all-time O's team I'd take Frank before anyone who played on the old Orioles and it wouldn't be particularly close.

Great coverage of Frank in the Washington Post today, including a front page obituary, coverage occupying about 75% of the front page of the sport section including a photo of Frank as an Oriole occupying the top half of the page and then some, lengthy columns by Boswell and Nats beat reporter Barry Svrluga, and more.    I already posted a link to Boswell's column earlier in this thread, but here is a piece from Svrluga's that I enjoyed:

The first time I met Robinson was in December 2004 at baseball’s winter meetings, held that year in Anaheim, Calif. We stood in a hallway, and I was nervous, the new beat writer with no baseball experience somehow tasked with covering Washington’s new major league team — a team that had a Hall of Famer at the helm. I fumbled and said something stupid, something like, “We’ll have a fun back-and-forth.” I meant to show I understood beat writers and managers often coexisted through disagreement.

Frank just glared.

“We will, will we?” Frank said.   This relationship, it was clear from the first 30 seconds, would be on Frank’s terms. I’ll never forget the handshake that followed. He was 69, and had he chosen to crush every bone in every finger I had, he could have without really trying. His right hand all but obscured mine, and you could see the power he still had in his forearms, feel the strength in his grip. I remember thinking when he let go, “Damn, those could still hold a bat.” Nearly 30 years after his playing career, there was no mystery as to how he hit 586 homers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/frank-robinson-the-nats-first-manager-was-dcs-treasure-those-first-two-seasons-of-baseballs-return/2019/02/07/7285951a-21ab-11e9-8b59-0a28f2191131_story.html?utm_term=.10870bc4e34e

Watching various video highlights of Frank yesterday, it was really striking how strong his forearms and wrists were.   He could swing on any plane at pitches on either side of the plate and still put a charge into it. 

Other Post coverage: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/frank-robinson-barrier-breaking-hall-of-fame-baseball-player-and-manager-dies-at-83/2019/02/07/06a258ee-20d2-11e9-8e21-59a09ff1e2a1_story.html?utm_term=.c5a1a7a52b09

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/02/07/steven-frank-robinson-year-old-reporter-gets-an-unforgettable-letter/?utm_term=.7725a64ac59f

And, the excellent Boswell piece again in case anyone missed the earlier link:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/the-frank-robinson-i-knew-the-proudest-orneriest-most-competitive-man-in-baseball/2019/02/07/83d6c464-2305-11e9-81fd-b7b05d5bed90_story.html?utm_term=.e516926a3983

Great article by Britt

“A lot of people didn’t understand Frank,” LeCroy said.“He was thought of as this very stern, stoic guy. He was one of the best to ever play and he had to go through a lot being an African American playing. The biggest thing about that day (that stuck with me) is it showed me Frank really cared about everybody, no matter if you were a superstar or the last man on the bench.

“I think it opened up a lot of people’s eyes that deep down Frank cared about everybody. it meant a lot to me and that made our relationship, which was already pretty good, carry over to the next level.  He thought I was going to blast him (for taking me out) and I really didn’t think nothing about it.”

From that day, Robinson and LeCroy shared a special kinship. Later that season, when LeCroy was designated for assignment, it was Robinson who went to the ballpark and sat with him. The pair talked for hours about managing — something Robinson knew LeCroy was interested in. There he was, one of the game’s greats, taking the time to come to the ballpark early just to help put LeCroy’s mind at ease.

Archived