Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

His OPS is 10 pts higher than a light hitting SS we plucked from AA. 

We have the good PR from the draft and the International signings. I think it’s time. Do it during the season and it will be quickly forgotten about. Especially with NFL training camps starting soon. 

• Upvote 1

If he refuses to retire in order to collect what's left on that huge contract,  i  would make him earn every penny of it. I'd play him every inning of every game. He is blocking no one and the team has at least two, probably three more seasons of being horrible. It doesn't matter if he plays or not. If he wants his money, he plays. I would think he'd get sick of embarrassing himself at some point. 

25 minutes ago, leapinghorsered said:

If he refuses to retire in order to collect what's left on that huge contract,  i  would make him earn every penny of it. I'd play him every inning of every game. He is blocking no one and the team has at least two, probably three more seasons of being horrible. It doesn't matter if he plays or not. If he wants his money, he plays. I would think he'd get sick of embarrassing himself at some point. 

The funny thing is Davis is probably better than Martin and no worse than Wilkerson and Broxton.   Yet no one is calling for their release. Unless they are bringing Mountcastle up and releasing the other dead wood I don't see what difference it makes whether Davis is on the team or not.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, leapinghorsered said:

I like how you think. Especially since I rarely watch the games anymore. (Not by choice... I coach JuCo in the spring and in the Call Ripken Summer league so I miss most games). 

50 minutes ago, leapinghorsered said:

This team is several years away from contention. There is no way i'd bring up Mountcastle any time soon. I'm not starting his service time clock until at least May of 2021.

It’s tough to run an organization where players are held down a full year after they’re ready and there are several worse players on the major league roster.    Not great for morale.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s tough to run an organization where players are held down a full year after they’re ready and there are several worse players on the major league roster.    Not great for morale.   

Is he ready, or are they now testing him in the outfield?

1 hour ago, leapinghorsered said:

This team is several years away from contention. There is no way i'd bring up Mountcastle any time soon. I'm not starting his service time clock until at least May of 2021.

Well I am glad you aren't the General Manager then.  He needs to brought up later this season.  I can see holding a guy back a month to start the season but bringing him up 2 years after he should be up would be a horrific decision and you might make Mountcastle hold out and the union get involved with the situation. 

You would be shooting yourself in the foot.  No high school or College Juniors would sign with you in the draft if they were good.  Better for them to just wait until the next draft. 

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To be clear, I don’t think he’s ready now.    But the poster was talking about holding him back until May 2021.

I think he is ready.  If you want to put in the outfield for another month Ok but he should be up before the season is over. 

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To be clear, I don’t think he’s ready now.    But the poster was talking about holding him back until May 2021.

That is crazy Mountcastle will be 24 years old by that time. Mountcastle is up by May next year full-time at the latest unless he stops hitting. 

1 hour ago, leapinghorsered said:

AARP might even get mad at a GM for that.

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That is crazy Mountcastle will be 24 years old by that time. Mountcastle is up by May next year full-time at the latest unless he stops hitting. 

I agree. September call up this year. May/June call up next year. You have to give most prospects a year, year and a half before you can expect them to be consistent MLB performers. We can't waint until 2021 to start that process with everyone.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

The funny thing is Davis is probably better than Martin and no worse than Wilkerson and Broxton.   Yet no one is calling for their release. Unless they are bringing Mountcastle up and releasing the other dead wood I don't see what difference it makes whether Davis is on the team or not.

I have called for Broxton and his strikeouts and Stevie with his amazing .260 .OBP to be gone .

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I think he is ready.  If you want to put in the outfield for another month Ok but he should be up before the season is over. 

He has a 7:1 strikeout to walk ratio in AAA.  Literally worse than Chris Davis' K:BB ratio in the majors.  And in the old days an .831 in Norfolk was a big thing.  With the new ball this year it's 100 points behind Chance Sisco and almost 200 behind DJ Stewart.

He still has a few things to work on.

• Thanks 1