Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

33 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What are the chances that they can get rid of him this offseason?  

From what I can tell, the chances aren't great.  Maybe they straight up DFA/release him but I think that's the only way.  He's basically untradeable.  

A normal organization would just eat the rest of the contract and get rid their offensive black hole.

But since it's the Orioles, Davis might get another chance to turn it around. 

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

A normal organization would just eat the rest of the contract and get rid their offensive black hole.

Mancini seems to have hit better when playing first base.  Don't see a place for Chris on the roster with Trumbo at DH.

He plays a game for a living, but it's not fun anymore. More than once this season he has considered his bank balance and considered quitting.

Lol whatever dude.  Poop or get off the pot.  My job of playing a game isn't fun anymore, and now I must choose between being extremely rich and being obscenely rich, with perfect job security and either decision at my full discretion.

While the rest of us schmucks watching the Orioles could only wish for any fraction of that privilege.  I'd be banned from my industry if I was that incompetent at my job.

I thought this was a real puff piece, whether it was heavily massaging Davis' obviously declining physical skills, or completely burying the lead with how Davis lied about the work he was putting in and implicated Coolbaugh in his BS.

He had only worked with Coolbaugh a handful of times that offseason.

The comments crushed Davis, who felt Palmer was questioning his integrity, and briefly created discord. Coolbaugh tried to help him frame the incident differently.

“I think the way he said it was making it look like Chris doesn’t work,” Coolbaugh says. “I think that was the hardest thing for Chris to grasp, because he read it as he was discrediting his work ethic, and that wasn’t the point at all. The point was that [Palmer] wasn’t seeing any adjustments at the plate.

You know who is making it look like Chris Davis doesn't work?  It's Chris Davis.  It shows in his physicality, it shows in his results, and it really showed when he tried to make it look like he was working real hard with Coolbaugh and Palmer called him right out on it, and Coolbaugh did not defend Chris at all.  He got really rich and then everything related to being a baseball player seemed to turn off.  He doesn't do anything well.  And he's taking out Buck Showalter to boot, almost single-handedly I'd say.  Although Buck has an assist there, since Davis is a Buck guy and Dan Duquette's only function in this organization is to sign checks I guess.

“One of the biggest misconceptions of the gospel, in my mind, is that you have to be perfect,” he says now. “That is the complete opposite of the truth. Christ paid for our sins on the cross knowing that we would never be able to measure up.”

Yeah you can forget about measuring up to Jesus, I would settle for a decent Yonder Alonso impression.

It's Baltimore, gentlemen.  The gods will not save you.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

To be fair, there's no basis for that quote, is there?   Has any organization ever eaten THAT much money before?

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, SteveA said:

To be fair, there's no basis for that quote, is there?   Has any organization ever eaten THAT much money before?

Boston- they owe $48 million to Sandoval after cutting him.  

When the Dodgers acquired Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez and Josh Beckett, they ate $258 million out of the $270 million still owed.  None of those players were ever at the level of Chris Davis this year, but they ate money through players not performing up to their contracts, quite a bit of it actually.   The Dodgers ended up eating $38 million of Crawford, and traded Gonzalez as part of a salary dump this off-season.  

They actually paid $100 million to players who were not on their World Series roster last season- https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1405607

The Angels owed Josh Hamilton $26 million when they cut him in 2017. 

While not entirely under their control, and with the Tigers kicking in $6 million per season and some insurance money, Prince Fielder was owed $106 million when he retired, and MLB contracts are fully guaranteed.  

The Yankees paid A-Rod $26 million to take the final year and some change off. 

The Mets have also paid millions to David Wright and Johan Santana while both were out with injuries.  Santana was paid $37 million after his final pitch for the Mets, and David Wright will have been paid $81 million since he took his last MLB at-bat. 

So yeah, Davis may not be the worst one on here, but he's certainly the worst non-injured player, with Sandoval a close second. 

1 minute ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Boston- they owe $48 million to Sandoval after cutting him.  

When the Dodgers acquired Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez and Josh Beckett, they ate $258 million out of the $270 million still owed.  None of those players were ever at the level of Chris Davis this year, but they ate money through players not performing up to their contracts, quite a bit of it actually.   The Dodgers ended up eating $38 million of Crawford, and traded Gonzalez as part of a salary dump this off-season.  

They actually paid $100 million to players who were not on their World Series roster last season- https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1405607

The Angels owed Josh Hamilton $26 million when they cut him in 2017. 

While not entirely under their control, and with the Tigers kicking in $6 million per season and some insurance money, Prince Fielder was owed $106 million when he retired, and MLB contracts are fully guaranteed.  

The Yankees paid A-Rod $26 million to take the final year and some change off. 

The Mets have also paid millions to David Wright and Johan Santana while both were out with injuries.  Santana was paid $37 million after his final pitch for the Mets, and David Wright will have been paid $81 million since he took his last MLB at-bat. 

So yeah, Davis may not be the worst one on here, but he's certainly the worst non-injured player, with Sandoval a close second. 

And all of those are big market teams.   And you admit Davis is the worst of the bunch.

I was responding to a post that said a "normal organization" would eat the contract.   And the only examples are ones that were not quite as bad as Davis and were all large market teams.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And all of those are big market teams.   And you admit Davis is the worst of the bunch.

I was responding to a post that said a "normal organization" would eat the contract.   And the only examples are ones that were not quite as bad as Davis and were all large market teams.

I think Josh Hamilton is the most comparable in salary to Davis.  The Angels took on 73.5 million and the final 3 years  of Hamilton's contract and the Rangers agreed to pay 6 million dollars of it.  But Hamilton was still productive.  Obviously no one would even agree to pay 2 million a  year for Davis.  

I am not sure what large market teams have to do with it.  No one was as bad as Davis.  The Orioles are paying Davis' salary either way so it only saves them the salary of replacing him. As we have no desire to compete next year they could just replace him with a major league minimum guy.  So the true cost of a DFA of Davis is $535k a year.  

Even if Davis got back to hitting .220 and OPS up to .700 that would not help the team one bit.  So I don't see what Davis' salary has to do with DFAing him.  

6 hours ago, atomic said:

I think Josh Hamilton is the most comparable in salary to Davis.  The Angels took on 73.5 million and the final 3 years  of Hamilton's contract and the Rangers agreed to pay 6 million dollars of it.  But Hamilton was still productive.  Obviously no one would even agree to pay 2 million a  year for Davis.  

I am not sure what large market teams have to do with it.  No one was as bad as Davis.  The Orioles are paying Davis' salary either way so it only saves them the salary of replacing him. As we have no desire to compete next year they could just replace him with a major league minimum guy.  So the true cost of a DFA of Davis is $535k a year.  

Even if Davis got back to hitting .220 and OPS up to .700 that would not help the team one bit.  So I don't see what Davis' salary has to do with DFAing him.  

Your right.  Since Davis signed the monster contract, every season since then (3 of them), every stat has declined year over year.  He will also be 33 next season, he is at the age where players can just lose it and never get it back.  Baseball history is filled with players like this, having great careers and two years later out of baseball.

I can see the O's giving him a chance to figure things out in the off-season and take a look at him in spring training, if he is still struggling, release him.  The money is spent. 

6 hours ago, SteveA said:

We are actually small market now aren't we. 

3 minutes ago, weams said:

We are actually small market now aren't we. 

No doubt.  That's one reason why I'd like to see us get someone from Oakland or Tampa to run this organization.   We're going to need to be that way from here on out.   Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, SteveA said:

No but there has never been a Chris Davis before. There are arguments for both sides, but I’d release Davis in spring training if I am not completely wowed. 

Money?  It’s gone, the spot is important and can’t be wasted even til June next year.  Nothing in the article inspires hope for a bounce back and his own words confirm what our eyes see.

He is done.  Free him and free yourself.