Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

8 hours ago, 24fps said:

What about that incorrigible bad boy Henry Aaron?  I heard he might have use a greenie once or twice.  And that selfish, me-first attitude?  Don't get me started...

Funny that you mention Hank Aaron.  When I was a kid I would read a lot of books about sports, Hank Aaron's book was the only one I could not finish, got tired of reading him saying how great he was.  He was great...most people like humility in others. 

14 hours ago, atomic said:

He seems to pretty universally liked though.  People on here used to say I hate all the Yankees except Jeter.  

I don't like Derek Jeter at all.  Then again, I'm not one of his many conquests who got an autographed baseball as a parting gift to remember their one-night stand.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, pastorfan said:

Good point. Name me a great player who was always well liked by coaches and fellow players. The great ones always have an edge to them that rubs others wrong.  Not just in sports...just part of their make up. 

Well, if the recent Hall of Fame voting is any kind of extrapolation, perhaps Mo Rivera.

As for Davis, I'm rather encouraged by what I've seen since the hitless streak ended. The K:BB ratio (1:12) is still lacking, but if the dearth of walks is directly related to his attempting to be more aggressive, then well and good.

I'd also be interested in going back and seeing how many of those K's were looking.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This stretch is much better.    In 12 games last year, Davis hit .319/.373/.404, before ending the season in a 1 for 37 slump.   He’s now at .343/.378/.686 in his current stretch.    3 doubles, 3 homers and 11 RBI in this year’s hot stretch compared to 1, 1 and 8 last year.   

All that said, I’d need to see him hit well for two months before thinking anything might have fundamentally changed, rather than it being a momentary blip.   

Thanks. On the other hand, the current stretch is only 9 games and 31 PAs vs. 12 games and 47 PAs last season. But both were preceded by historically wretched performance and, as you said, either sample is a small one. Let's see what May brings (I'll settle one good month in the following two!).

8 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't like Derek Jeter at all.  Then again, I'm not one of his many conquests who got an autographed baseball as a parting gift to remember their one-night stand.

What did you get instead?

J/K!!

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I never gave my 1 night stands anything.  Was that a faux paus?

Since April 13, when Davis got his first hits in a very long time, he has a hit in 63.6% of the games played.
.343/.378/.686/1.064 3 HR, 11 RBI

No one on the team has a higher OPS (in this SSS) than Davis.  Mancini has the highest BA .375/,426/.518/.944, 0 HR, 2 RBI.  Nunez and Severino have 4 HRs to Davis' 3.   Smith has the edge in RBI 13 to Davis/Nunez 11.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, atomic said:

I never gave my 1 night stands anything.  Was that a faux paus?

You let them leave (or you left), so that was probably good enough for them.   

Just havin’ fun, not a serious insult.  

43 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Since April 13, when Davis got his first hits in a very long time, he has a hit in 63.6% of the games played.
.343/.378/.686/1.064 3 HR, 11 RBI

No one on the team has a higher OPS (in this SSS) than Davis.  Mancini has the highest BA .375/,426/.518/.944, 0 HR, 2 RBI.  Nunez and Severino have 4 HRs to Davis' 3.   Smith has the edge in RBI 13 to Davis/Nunez 11.

CD is also "outslugging" his brother from another mother since April 3!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Chromehill said:

Funny that you mention Hank Aaron.  When I was a kid I would read a lot of books about sports, Hank Aaron's book was the only one I could not finish, got tired of reading him saying how great he was.  He was great...most people like humility in others. 

I was in college when Aaron broke Ruth's record, so I followed about the last dozen or so years of his playing career.  I always remember hearing how humble he was and I don't remember anything negative ever appearing in print about him.  That being said, I never read his book and if he's actually arrogant in person, I would be both surprised and saddened.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I was in college when Aaron broke Ruth's record, so I followed about the last dozen or so years of his playing career.  I always remember hearing how humble he was and I don't remember anything negative ever appearing in print about him.  That being said, I never read his book and if he's actually arrogant in person, I would be both surprised and saddened.

Play in the tail end of the Negro Leagues, be the only player with 15+ seasons of 30 homers, endure death threats and constant racism to break the single most beloved record in sports history and you can be as arrogant as you want.  If anyone's earned it, it's him.

• Upvote 2