Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

11 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

And honestly we should be holding Davis responsible for Mancini's negative WAR because Davis is the one forcing Trey out of position in LF.  Just disgraceful. 

And Buck continuing to insist on not only playing Davis but batting him in the heart of the order is an abomination.  It's an absolute travesty and makes a mockery of the game of baseball.  

That's a really interesting point on Mancini. But if you think about it, Davis can't control what's happening. His inability to hit is not a "conscious decision." He's obviously trying (I mean, he's flailing that wooden stick around on occasion, in a kind of elliptical pattern).

However, signing him to this absolutely ridiculous contract WAS a conscious decision, and one of the worst in the history of this front office. It's forcing several peoples' hands, as FanSince88 alludes to. And the results are showing on the field. 

Therefore, I place at least 80% of the responsibility on whoever masterminded this contract... be that Brady, PA or DD. 

35 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Honestly would it be that crazy to let the pitcher hit and DH for Davis? I'm only half joking. 

None of our pitchers other than Cashner has a lot of batting stats.  He has a .388 OPS so no. If Gallardo were on the team definitely let him hit. (.564 OPS) If Arrieta were hitting it would be a toss up as he has a .479 OPS. 

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

Adam Dunn in 2011 hit .159 in 415 at-bats.  I heard ESPN's podcast guys report that year he was benched late to miss having enough at-bats to qualify and "win" the worst batting average ever.

He had a .569 OPS though. 

I don't know what the big deal is with releasing Davis. He'll be replaced by Mancini who is making, what $400-500 K? The Davis money is already spent so for the cost of Mancini's salary they can upgrade two spots (1B offensively and LF defensively) as well as getting a look at one of the OF prospects . Seems like a no-brainer.

2 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Adam Dunn in 2011 hit .159 in 415 at-bats.  I heard ESPN's podcast guys report that year he was benched late to miss having enough at-bats to qualify and "win" the worst batting average ever.

Adam Dunn had 75 walks that year...at least he was doing something to help his team. Chris Davis only has 18 walks this season. 

14 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Adam Dunn had 75 walks that year...at least he was doing something to help his team. Chris Davis only has 18 walks this season. 

Which is 3rd on the team, even though he couldn’t hit his way out of a paper bag.    

In addition to being completely inept at his job, the money CD is making is money we could (and SHOULD) have used to try and sign Manny.  

I acknowledge that CD can't be blamed for taking the money.  However, all I can think about when watching this atrocious player is that he likely cost us the ability to make a competitive offer to Manny.  Cut him and cut him now.

12 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

I've been arguing this for two weeks now.  And yes, he is on pace to have the worst MLB season ever.  

Sure, there will probably be utility infielders and catchers who had lower OPS than Davis will have, but nobody expects guys like that to do anything at the plate to begin with.  For a first baseman to be putting up these putrid offensive numbers is obscene, and a quite frankly a desecration of the game.  

88 what can they do with Davis? He is making way too much money for them to bench him. Seems like we as fans are stuck with him. 

12 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

And honestly we should be holding Davis responsible for Mancini's negative WAR because Davis is the one forcing Trey out of position in LF.  Just disgraceful. 

And Buck continuing to insist on not only playing Davis but batting him in the heart of the order is an abomination.  It's an absolute travesty and makes a mockery of the game of baseball.  

You know sending Davis to the outfield, and moving Trey to 1st, if we have to play Davis is not a real bad idea right now. JMHO

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Burg said:

In addition to being completely inept at his job, the money CD is making is money we could (and SHOULD) have used to try and sign Manny.  

I acknowledge that CD can't be blamed for taking the money.  However, all I can think about when watching this atrocious player is that he likely cost us the ability to make a competitive offer to Manny.  Cut him and cut him now.

Too much money is owed for Angelos to cut him.