Orioles Sign Alicides Escobar to MiL Deal

Rene88

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m unclear about the value of this signing. When I started reading, it was,”ok they got a good defender who can’t hit. That’s fine.”
But then it was,”wait a second...he’s been terrible on defense for three years? And he’s older and slowing down? Then what purpose does he serve?

It’s a minor-league signing, so there’s no harm done, but nothing should be done without a clear purpose, and I fail to see any purpose in this signing.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, agreed.

Like I said, he is most likely just a "worst case scenario" signing. If Martin and/or Jackson are atleast decent in the Spring, he might not be here. But if they show they are overwhelmed, they have a cheap option, without having to wait until other teams make cuts.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

So he's just automatically the starting SS?

I'd assume Martin would have more range and could even do just as well with the bat.  Escobar's stats from last year aren't great at all.

I agree.  I'm never sure reading Roch whether he's putting his opinion out there or if there's a message he's supposed to convey.  Either way he's cheap competition.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

He makes 700k which is peanuts. We have no idea about being able to make the jump for Martin. No reason they can’t play both of them. 

Escobar is old and getting older, and his decline is severe on defense, while his offense has never been any good.

Literally everybody else in the system offers more for the future than he does, and Martin probably has the advantage of youth as well. All things being equal, it’s a no brainer to keep Martin, and Jackson as well.

Like I said, it’s a minor-league deal, so no harm done, but as things stand right now, he doesn’t do anything better than the guys we have.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

If you think a battle of .675 OPS glove men is interesting.

Given that shortstops do not traditionally hit very well, it doesn’t bother me that none of ours is projected to hit 30 home runs and bat 300. I’m actually very interested in how the defense will shake out.

Remember, Andrelton Simmons Was a lousy hitter for his first couple of years, But his defense made him very valuable to his team...And then he started hitting OK, and the Angels are happy

Just now, Philip said:

Given that shortstops do not traditionally hit very well, it doesn’t bother me that none of ours is projected to hit 30 home runs and bat 300. I’m actually very interested in how the defense will shake out.

Remember, Andrelton Simmons Was a lousy hitter for his first couple of years, But his defense made him very valuable to his team...And then he started hitting OK, and the Angels are happy

101 OPS+ in his rookie year, 90 OPS+ in his sophomore season.

His third and fourth seasons are when he really struggled.

2 minutes ago, Finisher said:

He had the second lowest OPS in the majors last year.

According to MLB trade rumors, his three-year stat line is the worst, the single worst, among qualified major leaguers.

But somewhere, the ghost of Dan is saying proudly, “he’s a qualified major leaguer.”

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don't disagree but I don't see an Andrelton Simmons level glove guy here.  I never said our SS needs to hit .300 with 30 homers, either.

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

According to MLB trade rumors, his three-year stat line is the worst, the single worst, among qualified major leaguers.

But somewhere, the ghost of Dan is saying proudly, “he’s a qualified major leaguer.”

I said it for Dan’s ghost. 

14 minutes ago, Philip said:

Escobar is old and getting older, and his decline is severe on defense, while his offense has never been any good.

Literally everybody else in the system offers more for the future than he does, and Martin probably has the advantage of youth as well. All things being equal, it’s a no brainer to keep Martin, and Jackson as well.

Like I said, it’s a minor-league deal, so no harm done, but as things stand right now, he doesn’t do anything better than the guys we have.

What does the future have to do with 2019? He isn’t a long term solution. No matter how bad we will be, having a proven SS at a cheap price has value. If/when Martin shows he can handle it full time then they can always cut bait. The key this year is to develop Martin not for him to play X number of games.

No reason they still can’t keep Jackson as well. He can be a super utility player. Also you can still play Martin plenty.  

Archived