Orioles Sign Alicides Escobar to MiL Deal

Rene88

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, section18 said:

I'm not sure what happened to the post about the Orioles adding more speed. Escobar stole 8 out of 10 bases last year. As recently as 2012 and 2014 he stole over 30 bases.  He is a very good base stealer when he runs. He has one of the highest success ratings in baseball history stealing bases. He is 174 for 218 or 80%.

Having Young, Jr 80%, Villar 78%, Mullins 79% and Escobar 80% so far will help us on the bases and hopefully we will stop being a station to station team. Amazing Elias has added two more stolen base guys with 80% success rates to go with our 78 % and 79% rates.

Escobar’s sprint speed last year was pretty pedestrian, 27.6.    You can steal bases at that speed, but I think his days of stealing 30 are long past.    

To me he’s a solid veteran player with declining skills.    I’m happy to have him in camp in case Martin and Jackson don’t pan out.    But frankly, I’m rooting for those guys to beat him out.   

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Escobar’s sprint speed last year was pretty pedestrian, 27.6.    You can steal bases at that speed, but I think his days of stealing 30 are long past.    

To me he’s a solid veteran player with declining skills.    I’m happy to have him in camp in case Martin and Jackson don’t pan out.    But frankly, I’m rooting for those guys to beat him out.   

You aren't likely stealing 30 bases with a 279 OBP.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You aren't likely stealing 30 bases with a 279 OBP.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Also true, unless you’re Billy Hamilton (57 SB, .274 OBP in 2015).

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I looked up Hamilton before I posted it and went ahead anyway.  He's too much of an outlier.

Are you going to make me go find another one?  ?   It suffices to say that a 32-year old Escobar isn’t  a 24-year old Hamilton.    

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think if Escobar is getting any amount of significant playing time this year, something is way wrong.

It means that Martin isn’t ready to play SS everyday, which coming from AA and being a Rule 5 pick is certainly possible. 

I don’t like the signing and don’t understand it. There is always an all defense SS available in a trade— a paul Janish type. Plus, there is Villar. We have brought a bunch of guys into the team to play SS. Let them play. Best case scenario Escobar helps you win 1 more game. Whatever... takes a little shine off Elias for me.

Archived