Elias interview 105.7

eddie83

Just ended. Pretty good listen. 

- he is scouting a high school game tonight and then added tomorrow as well, talked about college games going on 

- said domestic scouting staffing is covered 

- on International side talked up Koby Perez but said need to add scouting staff 

-Sig has been back and forth Sarasota and Baltimore filling out analytics department 

-he doubts their will be zero transactions between now and Opening Day- talked about waiver wire pickups   

-Davis looks good so far will have to see

-said Villar will be playing either 2nd or SS. Trying to add depth and competition.

I wouldn’t say he ruled out adding a FA. I get impression SS will be interesting open battle. I know it is honeymoon period but he clearly he is well spoken guy and more media friendly than Dan- of course that isn’t saying much and I like Dan. So far to me Mike comes across as confident but in a personable way. 

-

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Just ended. Pretty good listen. 

- he is scouting a high school game tonight and then added tomorrow as well, talked about college games going on 

- said domestic scouting staffing is covered 

- on International side talked up Koby Perez but said need to add scouting staff 

-Sig has been back and forth Sarasota and Baltimore filling out analytics department 

-he doubts their will be zero transactions between now and Opening Day- talked about waiver wire pickups   

-Davis looks good so far will have to see

-said Villar will be playing either 2nd or SS. Trying to add depth and competition.

I wouldn’t say he ruled out adding a FA. I get impression SS will be interesting open battle. I know it is honeymoon period but he clearly he is well spoken guy and more media friendly than Dan- of course that isn’t saying much and I like Dan. So far to me Mike comes across as confident but in a personable way. 

-

This is somewhat new, I think. I feel like he has previously said they might not need a ton of scouts. 

Agree on your views about the guy. Nothing but impressive so far. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is somewhat new, I think. I feel like he has previously said they might not need a ton of scouts. 

Agree on your views about the guy. Nothing but impressive so far. 

I’ll try to listen to it again. I’m sure they will air it again on website. Basically just said they need to add to what they are doing. Along those lines. 

59 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Forgot to add he talked up environment at camp. 

He did not discuss Mike Yaz. 

:o   

I'm enjoying the positive vibe.    I’m definitely looking forward to watching some spring baseball.   Would love to get a look at some of our top prospects in that setting.  

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Dalton Pompey is a name I heard today as a used-to-be-good, pretty much stalled prospect now out of options, but who may scuffle to make even a 75-win team like Toronto.  He might be able to hold his own in competition with the Stewart/Rickard platoon across from Mancini.

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

:o   

I'm enjoying the positive vibe.    I’m definitely looking forward to watching some spring baseball.   Would love to get a look at some of our top prospects in that setting.  

I think we will see a good bit of them. Plenty of games and Trumbo will be brought back slowly. I like that all but one of the games will be covered in some fashion. 

You got the key points.    He certainly didn’t make it sound like Escobar is the presumptive favorite at SS.    He’s just a veteran option to compete with the young guys.    

I wonder who he’s scouting down there?    I see that IMG Academy has a couple of guys in Fangraphs ‘ top 50.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You got the key points.    He certainly didn’t make it sound like Escobar is the presumptive favorite at SS.    He’s just a veteran option to compete with the young guys.    

I wonder who he’s scouting down there?

Did not sound like he was committed to Martin either. Wide open. 

I know. Looking at top high school prospects now. I see IMG Academy has a player, Malone a pitcher. They are based in Bradenton. I think that is where John Russell is.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I wonder who he’s scouting down there?    I see that IMG Academy has a couple of guys in Fangraphs ‘ top 50.

Like @eddie83 said, there is Malone, but also Rece Hinds a huge raw power 3B, Joe Charles who is a RHP up to 97 but poor command, Kendall Williams, a projectable RHP that sits around 90.  Will Bartlett a bat first guy who has a really quick bat and can handle velocity.

There was a premium JUCO matchup too, with Ivan Johnson who is an athletic MIF with some pop, kind of a Shed Long comp for me.

Archived