Is Steve Wilkerson the next JD Martinez?

AceKing

5 minutes ago, Bonecrusher52 said:

Don't forget about Nate McLouth. He was a beast for half a season.

I wouldn't really put the two in the same category, Nate McLouth was a former All Star who got a second wind for a brief time.  Guys like David Newhan and Steve Wilkerson wish they could have a career like Nate McLouth.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Send Davis.

It'd be cool to finally have one of these AAAA guys turn into a stud for us.  I feel like we never get lucky with that type of stuff.  I guess we did have Steve Pearce for his big year.  But seeing a guy like Max Muncy last year, that stuff never seems to happen for us.

Melvin Mora?

It looks like this coach has been a Dodgers consultant for years.  Lots of successes over the years.  Who knows.

The two reconnected again when (Gabe) Kapler was named the Dodgers’ farm director in 2015; that led directly to the Dodgers retaining Wallenbrock and Van Scoyoc as consultants. The shift had been set in motion. The seeds of the coaching tree were planted.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/12/12/how-72-year-old-video-savant-craig-wallenbrock-spouted-baseballs-fastest-growing-coaching-tree/

Edited by AceKing

47 minutes ago, AceKing said:

So, on a related note, I did not realize that Steve was a 6th round pick just 4 years ago.  

For some reason, he always came across like he has been around forever and never had any talent....

He was a senior and the only reason he was selected in the top 10 rounds was to save money against the slot to spend on other players. He went undrafted as a draft eligible Jr.

He was selected in the 8th round and signed for just 10,000. For comparison the O’s signed 12 guys  in the 11th through 35th rounds in 2018 for 125,000 each. 

Just now, Luke-OH said:

He was a senior and the only reason he was selected in the top 10 rounds was to save money against the slot to spend on other players. He went undrafted as a draft eligible Jr.

He was selected in the 8th round and signed for just 10,000. For comparison the O’s signed 12 guys  in the 11th through 35th rounds in 2018 for 125,000 each. 

So it sounds like DD knew Mrs. Wilkerson?

somehow the dude made it onto our 40, and he is wearing the jersey...

21 minutes ago, AceKing said:

So it sounds like DD knew Mrs. Wilkerson?

somehow the dude made it onto our 40, and he is wearing the jersey...

Huh? Drafting seniors in the top 10 rounds has been a common practice since draft bonus pools were instituted. Every team does it.

I’m not taking away from Wilkerson’s accomplishment, I’m actually trying to highlight how much he has outperformed expectations, senior signs rarely make the bigs.

The O’s have done well with these picks, Wynns is another senior sign who has vastly outperformed expectations.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Huh? Drafting seniors in the top 10 rounds has been a common practice since draft bonus pools were instituted. Every team does it.

I’m not taking away from Wilkerson’s accomplishment, I’m actually trying to highlight how much he has outperformed expectations, senior signs rarely make the bigs.

The O’s have done well with these picks, Wynns is another senior sign who has vastly outperformed expectations.

In your first post you said “the ONLY REASON he was drafted was to SAVE MONEY”.  So I understood you at your word, there.

I don’t know enough about Dans draft strategem to compare one way or the other, but I am more confused about it now than when we started.

“In the sixth round, the Orioles select (insert chump who we can sign cheap), who is an old dude from WhatsamattaU”...seems like a reason we are in the mess we are in.

1 minute ago, AceKing said:

In your first post you said “the ONLY REASON he was drafted was to SAVE MONEY”.  So I understood you at your word, there.

I don’t know enough about Dans draft strategem to compare one way or the other, but I am more confused about it now than when we started.

“In the sixth round, the Orioles select (insert chump who we can sign cheap), who is an old dude from WhatsamattaU”...seems like a reason we are in the mess we are in.

I don't think you understand how drafts work.