Will Manny earn his $300 mm contract?

Frobby

Will Manny end up being worth $300 mm?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Will Manny end up being worth $300 mm!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Simple yes/no poll.    Use today’s $8 mm/WAR, consider inflation, or ignore WAR entirely and just use your own criteria.   Whatever floats your boat.    

If the criteria is $8m/WAR, then yes Manny will be worth it from a dollars and cents stand point. I probably would have been okay with the Orioles offering Manny that contract with the caveat he is strictly a 3B -- even with the current situation being what it is.

The real question, IMO, is Manny the type of guy you want in your clubhouse for the next 10 years?

Just now, ChosenOne21 said:

I would love to have a clubhouse full of guys who bat .300/.350/.500 with Gold Glove defense

Do you want a club house full of guys setting poor examples for the younger guys coming up? Or how about a clubhouse full of guys landing cheap shots when the mood suits them?

One flaw I find in equating a flat rate to each win is that it does not account for a single player putting up a ridiculous WAR single season. I think the dollar value should be dynamic down to the 10th of a win.

Even still, 300 divided by 8 is only 37.5, which I see him doing rather easily over 10 years.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I am not commenting on where its placed.  I am just expressing my opinion that I don't care.

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well, good point I guess.  But this is Orioles talk and he is gone.    It will not impact the O's whether he earns his contract or not.

:confused:

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The key will be if Manny primarily plays 3B and I vote yes.

Barring serious injury *knockswood*  I think he easily earns it. And esp, if he plays 3B like you said. His bat should rake, probably for almost all ten years. And he'll have a couple HUGE years thrown in, maybe even an MVP year.

Archived