Will Manny earn his $300 mm contract?

Frobby

Will Manny end up being worth $300 mm?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Will Manny end up being worth $300 mm!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd say Bonds is just a victim of bad timing but I feel like he triggered a lot of it being who he was.

Bad timing, 50 gallon drums of industrial grade steroids, and the personality of Mr. Potter.  But even without the PEDs he's (probably) one of 10 best players ever.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Bad timing, 50 gallon drums of industrial grade steroids, and the personality of Mr. Potter.  But even without the PEDs he's (probably) one of 10 best players ever.

Assuming he got hit by a train the year he allegedly started using steroids (1999) he would have been at 99.8 WAR.  That would put him at 33rd all time, a hair below Warren Spahn.  If he aged like a normal human being during that time, he maybe would have put up an extra 35-40 WAR, which puts him squarely in the top 10.  Even in the hit-by-a-train scenario, all of the players around him on that list are solid HOFers.  That 99.8 is more than Cal.

58 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Assuming he got hit by a train the year he allegedly started using steroids (1999) he would have been at 99.8 WAR.  That would put him at 33rd all time, a hair below Warren Spahn.  If he aged like a normal human being during that time, he maybe would have put up an extra 35-40 WAR, which puts him squarely in the top 10.  Even in the hit-by-a-train scenario, all of the players around him on that list are solid HOFers.  That 99.8 is more than Cal.

I have a friend who pitched at Stanford the same time that Bonds was at Arizona State.    He says Bonds was suspected of using steroids even then.  So, while I don’t take that as proof, I don’t necessarily buy the “Bonds was clean until he got jealous of McGwire and Sosa” narrative.   

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have a friend who pitched at Stanford the same time that Bonds was at Arizona State.    He says Bonds was suspected of using steroids even then.  So, while I don’t take that as proof, I don’t necessarily buy the “Bonds was clean until he got jealous of McGwire and Sosa” narrative.   

Just by his appearance, that would imply that he took different steroids as a younger guy (maybe a plan more similar to Ben Johnson) and then switched to straight power generation once he decided he wanted to hit homers nonstop.  Would you lean toward that explanation?

I think that between his chest ballooning after 1998, and his voice changes afterwards, I would lean toward either non-usage or very mild usage before that time, and heavy usage afterward.  I also think that the things that made him great would not be improved with steroids (mental game, strike zone judgement.)

I find it amusing that in his post-retirement cycling pictures basically looks like a bald version of himself when he was 25.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

TBF, I think that rumor has existed in many instances in which an amateur is dominating his peers.

Just now, Hallas said:

Just by his appearance, that would imply that he took different steroids as a younger guy (maybe a plan more similar to Ben Johnson) and then switched to straight power generation once he decided he wanted to hit homers nonstop.  Would you lean toward that explanation?

I think that between his chest ballooning after 1998, and his voice changes afterwards, I would lean toward either non-usage or very mild usage before that time, and heavy usage afterward.

I find it amusing that in his post-retirement cycling pictures basically looks like a bald version of himself when he was 25.

He would have been using custom steroids in conjunction with training and nutrition help he didn't have available to him when he was in college.

I think they are all using.

Anyone see that the top Bridge player in the world got popped for testosterone doping?

I also don't think you can naturally put on 100 pounds of quality weight in two years as a HS student.

Archived